THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Rants & Ravings
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 01-11-2017   #131
njhorror
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 23,418, Level: 100 Points: 23,418, Level: 100 Points: 23,418, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
Re: Trump

Hasn't this been discredited already?

A co-worker came in after watching this morning's press conference and said, "After watching Obama's farewell, last night, and Trump's press conference this morning I can see how vastly different these two are."

Knowing he's a big Obama supporter I couldn't resist adding... "You're right, it will be a relief to have a REAL President for a change."

lol, he smiled.

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen
Old 01-11-2017   #132
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 20,285, Level: 98 Points: 20,285, Level: 98 Points: 20,285, Level: 98
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
I agree with Evans on the essential nature of this thread. Still, it may be of therapeutic value for the broken hearts of anti-Trumpsters.
It's a sad thing to see a word like racist used so indiscriminately. Soon the word will be relegated to the dustheap of history, having lost all of its real power...

When in this thread was it used incorrectly?

3 Thanks From:
Ibrahim (01-11-2017), James (01-11-2017), miguel1984 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-11-2017   #133
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 73,460, Level: 100 Points: 73,460, Level: 100 Points: 73,460, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Robert, are you serious? It was used incorrectly virtually every time it appeared.

Wanting to deport criminals isn't racist.

Wanting to deport illegals isn't racist. It's called making the Borders secure-something incomprehensible to most on the Left. Personally, I would prefer a form of amnesty for Mexican workers without felony convictions but my preferences don't count. Nevertheless, I think this part of the plan will be a waste of time and money. I half-suspect he won't do it. He will deport criminals and probably build the wall but he might decide against deporting law-abiding illegals (Talk about an oxymoron.)
I hope he does decide against it. Blame the Liberal Unions for this bias against amnesty: they've been beating the drums for years for the government to crack down on illegal workers.

Labeling Trump's supporters as racist is nuts. No doubt some are but you can't issue a blanket condemnation on a whole group of diverse people.

Name one thing Trump has done against Black Americans.

OK, Robert I responded because you asked a reasonable and civil question and deserved an answer. I'm done with this thread now.
Old 01-12-2017   #134
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 9,870, Level: 68 Points: 9,870, Level: 68 Points: 9,870, Level: 68
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

I think most of us here can agree that Trump is a vulgar businessman with very few calluses on his hands. If we inhabited Plato's Republic, he would be situated near the bottom rung of society. America began as something great, but it ultimately supported the "common" man, i.e., the man who is more interested in money, sex, and potato chips.

History repeats itself ad nauseam.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-12-2017   #135
James
Grimscribe
Points: 18,266, Level: 93 Points: 18,266, Level: 93 Points: 18,266, Level: 93
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%

Labeling Trump's supporters as racist is nuts. No doubt some are but you can't issue a blanket condemnation on a whole group of diverse people.
I don't think anybody has done that, and myself and others have even gone out of our way to say that we don't think that.

Regardless of Trump's racism being true or not – and I think his absolutely fanatical birther stance that Obama MUST be a foreigner settled this issue years ago – it is undeniable he stoked certain fires and pandered to certain groups who are racists. If he isn't a racist then he has capitalised on racism, deliberately prodded certain tensions for his own success and will knowingly provoke a rise in hate crimes against ethnic minorities in the USA. He simply doesn't care.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (01-13-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017   #136
brendanconnell
Chymist
Points: 9,042, Level: 65 Points: 9,042, Level: 65 Points: 9,042, Level: 65
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Activity: 57% Activity: 57% Activity: 57%

One might argue that the term "illegal" is itself racist. A person might do something illegal. They themselves are not. Otherwise why don't we call shoplifters "illegals"?
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-12-2017   #137
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 73,460, Level: 100 Points: 73,460, Level: 100 Points: 73,460, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

In all honesty, as far as I can tell, it was the unrelenting Left that stoked the fires of hate: the unrelenting cries of "Racist! Racist!"every bit as choreographed as the violence at Trump's rallies and the physical violence sometimes aimed at Trump supporters. The provocation and attacks were well-thought out, well-executed by people without conscience.

And, Brenden, you've got to be kidding. But I know you're not; just one of the Left's new assaults on reason.
Old 01-12-2017   #138
brendanconnell
Chymist
Points: 9,042, Level: 65 Points: 9,042, Level: 65 Points: 9,042, Level: 65
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

I'm not kidding. If a term is used for someone that they find insulting, then I take their word for it. For instance, a French friend of mine kept using the term "redskins" for Native Americans. I told him it was considered a racist term. Now in France and Italy, it isnt (in their languages, of course), because there actually are no Native Americans there, in any number... So he said, it isnt... I said, but if you say this to a Native American, they will be insulted, and it is their choice what words are insulting to them or not. So it isnt like people can just call Latin Americans anything they want and it is okay and not racist. If it makes them feel demeaned and belittled and sad, it is probably a racist term.
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-12-2017   #139
Ibrahim
Chymist
Points: 3,996, Level: 42 Points: 3,996, Level: 42 Points: 3,996, Level: 42
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%

Druidic, with all respect: racism is not an act easily seen to exist by itself. Most instances of it occur as a sublimininal bias or act within or beside some other action entirely. A policeman or security guard closely scrutinizing people of colour is, on one level, "just doing his job," ensuring safety &c. But he is doing it with an expectancy that the breach of safety will come from quarters his bias has previously directed him against. He is, in short, also being racist.

"What can a thing do with a thing, when it is a thing?"
-Shaykh Ibn Al 'Arabi
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-12-2017   #140
James
Grimscribe
Points: 18,266, Level: 93 Points: 18,266, Level: 93 Points: 18,266, Level: 93
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%

In all honesty, as far as I can tell, it was the unrelenting Left that stoked the fires of hate
You're doing what you accuse others of doing in that when countering racism of specific individuals – or in this case a specific individual – you refer to the vagueness of 'the Left' or 'neoliberals' (incorrectly – neoliberalism is part of the right) rather than anything that could be substantiated.

I'm honestly not sure what you think the Left is. It includes communists and neoliberals – two opposing ideologies. How does that even work? I don't get it. Then it's people who dislike Trump or think he doesn't care about human beings – but that would include innumerable conservatives. To top it all off, you accuse people of being whiners for not being quiet now Trump is president elect when Trump was one of the most outspoken crybabies and thrower of tantrums for Obama's entire presidency.

I'm not Obama's biggest fan, but the American right were disgraceful to him from the get go, roadblocking his every decision and basically trying their best to destroy the man for the last eight years, yet Trump supporters are demanding others take a 'wait and see' approach for the presidency of a man whose every move screams 'I AM A CRAP HUMAN BEING!' . It's nonsense. This man will be a disaster and make America look like a complete joke.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (01-13-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (01-12-2017)
Closed Thread