THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Rants & Ravings
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 01-09-2017   #61
Druidic
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 77,347, Level: 100 Points: 77,347, Level: 100 Points: 77,347, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Trump

Trump may or may not succeed as a successful President but I hope to God he does. He's a businessman, true enough; but as I said he doesn't seem to have an appetite for war. I hope Pence shares this philosophy but I have my doubts. Hopefully he won't take center stage and we never find out.

If Russia and America can work together on a mutually desirable goal, we might even have a chance of taking down Isis. America and bad Intel created the damn thing. Just like America's support for-- and later arming of-- the so-called 'rebels' in Syria paved the path for the horror of Aleppo.

Thanks From:
njhorror (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017   #62
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 10,919, Level: 72 Points: 10,919, Level: 72 Points: 10,919, Level: 72
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

I believe Trump is merely a symptom of cultural decay. Money and self-interest are now far more important than good character. To be fair, both the Left and the Right are guilty of embracing the same worldview - the monetary assessment of everything.

America has entered the end phase of "civilization," to use Spengler's language. It's time for someone else to carry the torch.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (01-09-2017), qcrisp (01-09-2017), Raul Urraca (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017   #63
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,347, Level: 100 Points: 77,347, Level: 100 Points: 77,347, Level: 100

Sadly, Mr. Veech, there is no one else willing or able. Give Trump a chance. It took sixteen years to make this mess. Not even Christ could clean it up overnight. Russia is an important part of the solution.
Now if only the Democrats and neoCons stop banging the drums of war...
Old 01-09-2017   #64
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 137,644, Level: 100 Points: 137,644, Level: 100 Points: 137,644, Level: 100
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

Quote Originally Posted by gveranon View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Nemonymous View Post
I don't know what you think about Trump! But I decided to raise the topic here as I think he was preternaturally created from fiction literature, that is as Jethro Furber in Omensetter's Luck by William H. Gass in 1966.
Trump as Moosbrugger: Make America Austria Again: How Robert Musil Predicted the Rise of Donald Trump - Los Angeles Review of Books
That's absolutely fascinating. Thanks, gveranon.
I have indeed read that Musil book years ago. Must read it again.

Meanwhile, I am continuing my study of Furber as Trump in Omensetter's Luck by Gass.

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
2 Thanks From:
gveranon (01-09-2017), miguel1984 (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017   #65
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 137,644, Level: 100 Points: 137,644, Level: 100 Points: 137,644, Level: 100
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

I don't know what you think about Trump! But I decided to raise the topic here as I think he was preternaturally created from fiction literature, that is as Jethro Furber in Omensetter's Luck by William H. Gass in 1966.
Trump as Moosbrugger: Make America Austria Again: How Robert Musil Predicted the Rise of Donald Trump - Los Angeles Review of Books
That's absolutely fascinating. Thanks, gveranon.
I have indeed read that Musil book years ago. Must read it again.

Meanwhile, I am continuing my study of Furber as Trump in Omensetter's Luck by
For example, Furber, in this 1966 novel, builds a wall, grabs a woman's private parts, is related to 'tweetering', has 'fiddling finger' in his hand mannerisms, is successful with his flock whatever he says or does, mispronounces Brackett Omensetter's name (Barack Obama?) and more!

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
3 Thanks From:
gveranon (01-09-2017), James (01-09-2017), miguel1984 (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017   #66
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 10,919, Level: 72 Points: 10,919, Level: 72 Points: 10,919, Level: 72
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
Sadly, Mr. Veech, there is no one else willing or able. Give Trump a chance. It took sixteen years to make this mess. Not even Christ could clean it up overnight. Russia is an important part of the solution.
Now if only the Democrats and neoCons stop banging the drums of war...
I just feel that there were other Republican nominees which were substantially more qualified than Trump. Cruz, Carson, and Paul did a better job of representing the conservative party. Regardless of what anyone thinks about their political philosophy, you can't deny that they're very astute as well as mannered compared to Trump.

The latter spent most of the time ridiculing the other nominees like a schoolyard bully. I remember thinking that surely Trump wasn't going to win, and that it was part of a mere joke. But I was wrong, my relentless cynicism notwithstanding.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017   #67
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Points: 65,478, Level: 100 Points: 65,478, Level: 100 Points: 65,478, Level: 100
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

From the article: "The novel stands as a testament to the importance of maintaining independent, sober perception and thought in times of mass hysteria and madness."

Yes, and this sobriety is fast vanishing on all sides now. If you try to maintain some sobriety, you get accused of not understanding the seriousness of the situation, whereas it's precisely the seriousness of the situation that calls for sobriety.

Recent events have made me wish to look closely into the actual social atmosphere that preceded the Second World War. I suspect that the abandonment of principles of truth in favour of solidarity of one kind or another will stand out.

"As the Director of one of the five greatest museums in our Eastern States has more than once remarked to me, From the Stone Age until now, what a decline!" - Ananda Coomaraswamy
2 Thanks From:
gveranon (01-09-2017), miguel1984 (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017   #68
qcrisp
Grimscribe
Points: 65,478, Level: 100 Points: 65,478, Level: 100 Points: 65,478, Level: 100
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Incidentally, Karl Kraus, mentioned in the article, is an interesting figure:

http://www.clivejames.com/karl-kraus

Outside the German-speaking lands, Kraus is now known mainly for having been the Viennese café pundit who brilliantly fulfilled a self-created role as the scourge of loose language. Serious readers, even if their serious reading does not often include him, know that Kraus, from before the turn of the twentieth century until a couple of years before the Anschluss in 1938, was the linguistic health inspector who searched through what was said for what was meant, and was particularly scathing about the jingoistic propaganda that helped drive a generation of young men irretrievably into the mincing machine of the Great War.

Kept out of the trenches by his distorted spine, he was the pacifist on the warpath, the libertarian grammarian. Whether in the pages of his magazine Die Fackel (The Torch) or by means of his celebrated readings on stage, he constantly pointed out the connection between official bombast and the suffering of the people, between journalistic mendacity and political duplicity, between fine writing and foul behaviour. Some of those serious readers also know, or think they know, that Kraus finally fell silent because, on his own admission, Hitler had left him speechless.

Not true. The facts say that Kraus, immediately after confessing that the Nazis left him with nothing to say, went on to say quite a lot.

"As the Director of one of the five greatest museums in our Eastern States has more than once remarked to me, From the Stone Age until now, what a decline!" - Ananda Coomaraswamy
2 Thanks From:
gveranon (01-09-2017), miguel1984 (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017   #69
durandal
Mannikin
Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Are there any plans, within the weird fiction community, for some sort of anthology themed around liberal, anti-Trump message? It would be a noble thing to do, and a necessary one... And I can imagine similar anthologies popping out in other corners of genre fiction, and I think that would be great if weird fiction authors took the lead. I dare to view the contemporary weird lit, both the authors and their readers, as one eminently progressive bunch and it would be great if those who are more transgressive and rebellious that any other genre fiction scene led the way, because we need such acts of bravery and rebellion now. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-09-2017   #70
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 21,634, Level: 100 Points: 21,634, Level: 100 Points: 21,634, Level: 100
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Quote Originally Posted by durandal View Post
Are there any plans, within the weird fiction community, for some sort of anthology themed around liberal, anti-Trump message? It would be a noble thing to do, and a necessary one... And I can imagine similar anthologies popping out in other corners of genre fiction, and I think that would be great if weird fiction authors took the lead. I dare to view the contemporary weird lit, both the authors and their readers, as one eminently progressive bunch and it would be great if those who are more transgressive and rebellious that any other genre fiction scene led the way, because we need such acts of bravery and rebellion now. Thank you in advance.
As much as I appreciate action against Trump, I doubt such an anthology would be especially good. Call me an escapist but I really don't want to read about him in fiction and I imagine the stories would probably be tedious handwringing. I think if you were going to do something like that, the best thing would be an anthology generally against showy populists, nationalism, racism, fascism and all these unpleasant trends rising all over the world right now.

I could see myself giving such an anthology a bad review and have people assuming I disagree with the general stance.

Or you could have a regular weird fiction anthology that gives money to a good cause.

Thanks From:
Trau (01-20-2017)
Closed Thread