THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Technical Information > Site Features
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 05-08-2009   #1
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Testing - Shelfari Profile Tab

Shelfari is the premier social network for people who love books.

Create a virtual shelf to show off your books, see what your friends are reading and discover new books - all for free!
This modification to the Member Profile Page allows the integration of a member's Shelfari Bookshelf within a profile tab. While I know that some members are registered at LibraryThing, I believe Shelfari to be a relatively new venture. I encourage members to check it out and register their bookshelf at TLO.

Instructions:
  1. Register a Free Account at www.shelfari.com
  2. Select User-->Edit Profile, scroll down to Additional Information enter your Shelfari account username.
    I found that I had to change my account name for this modification to work. The initial account designation is numerical, which does not appear to be recognized by the modification.

Reply to this thread if you have incorporated your Shelfari Bookshelf into your Member Profile. I did so with mine, though I have only included a few Ligotti selections to this point for testing purposes.
THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK - View Profile: Dr. Bantham@@AMEPARAM@@View Profile: Dr. Bantham</title>@@AMEPARAM@@Dr. Bantham
Click on the Shelfari tab to the far left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shelfari.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	316  

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009   #2
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 57,106, Level: 100 Points: 57,106, Level: 100 Points: 57,106, Level: 100
Re: Testing - Shelfari Profile Tab

Brian, I joined Shelfari, selecting one book for testing purposes, and added my account's username to TLO, but nothing happened. The username I chose on Shelfari was simply my first name followed by the initial of my surname; but when one logs on to Shelfari, the site asks for one's email address rather than one's username...

"Reality is the shadow of the word." -- Bruno Schulz
Bleak&Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009   #3
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter
Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100 Points: 321,338, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Bleak&Icy View Post
Brian, I joined Shelfari, selecting one book for testing purposes, and added my account's username to TLO, but nothing happened. The username I chose on Shelfari was simply my first name followed by the initial of my surname.
I had the same problem at first. When you go to your home page within Shelfari, does it display a number sequence within the URL? If so, you need to change this within the options page for your Shelfari account. You must select a custom reference, i.e. Bleak&Icy (not sure how it handles spacing and caps). Using the new designation in lieu of the numerical reference within the TLO field should patch things straight.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
Old 05-08-2009   #4
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe
Points: 57,106, Level: 100 Points: 57,106, Level: 100 Points: 57,106, Level: 100

Yes, a numerical sequence is present. But I am not sure what you mean by a custom reference. Within the Options page on Shelfari one may change one's "Display Name" or one's "Real Name"--is this what you mean? Ah, I see an option to change web address--but it warns that this may be done only once.

Old 05-08-2009   #5
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter

Yes, a numerical sequence is present. But I am not sure what you mean by a custom reference. Within the Options page on Shelfari one may change one's "Display Name" or one's "Real Name"--is this what you mean? Ah, I see an option to change web address--but it warns that this may be done only once.
Actually, looking at the options now I believe it may be the Web Address which you must change. This option is only allowed once, therefore it is not available to me now.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
Old 05-08-2009   #6
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe

I changed the Web Address, which appears to be a permanent change, replacing the numerical sequence as per your suggestion, but still nada.

Old 05-08-2009   #7
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter

I changed the Web Address, which appears to be a permanent change, replacing the numerical sequence as per your suggestion, but still nada.
Did you change the Shelfari setting in your User Profile to exactly match the last section of the URL (i.e. tlo)? What is your Shelfari URL?

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
Old 05-08-2009   #8
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe

Dr. B., I'm going loco. How did Frank Dominio put it: "...boy, do I hate to even use the word: computers--there, I said it." I will return to the problem when I have a clear(er) mind--although moments clarity are becoming fewer and far between.

Old 05-08-2009   #9
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter

Dr. B., I'm going loco. How did Frank Dominio put it: "...boy, do I hate to even use the word: computers--there, I said it." I will return to the problem when I have a clear(er) mind--although moments clarity are becoming fewer and far between.
Can you provide a direct link to your Shelfari page so that I can have a look?

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
Old 05-08-2009   #10
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bantham View Post
Can you provide a direct link to your Shelfari page so that I can have a look?

http://www.shelfari.com/bleakandicy