THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences > U.G. Krishnamurti
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-02-2005   #11
YellowJester
Acolyte
Quotes: 0
Points: 9,819, Level: 68 Points: 9,819, Level: 68 Points: 9,819, Level: 68
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Ligotti-Krishnamutti - sympathetic organisms?

http://home.primus.com.au/davidquinn/
YellowJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (05-24-2016)
Old 10-02-2005   #12
Doctor Munoz
Acolyte
Points: 11,001, Level: 72 Points: 11,001, Level: 72 Points: 11,001, Level: 72
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

www.theabsolute.net/minefield/ug.html

"...what pleasures and improvements do such deny themselves who scorn and avoid all opportunity of intercourse with souls separate and the spirits, glad and sorrowful, which inhabit the unseen world!"
Doctor Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
'天狗' (12-15-2008)
Old 12-07-2006   #13
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Quote Originally Posted by matt cardin";p=&quot View Post
U.G. is indeed a fascinating character, isn't he?

Thanks for pointing out other places in the Ligottian oeuvre where U.G.'s influence can be felt. I'll have to reread those stories and other items with this in mind.
This topic was current when I joined TLO in July, 2005. I ignored it at the time because there was so much other material to explore at the site which related directly to Thomas Ligotti himself and his writings. So, here I am spelunking in the depths at last. Firstly, I am no philosopher or great thinker. I am merely a guy who drinks enough to know that the links mentioned above make for stimulating reading. All conflicting viewpoints on any issue make for good reading - with time, patience, and interest. Consider me stimulated. Secondly, one might possibly consider UGK as the speaker in "A Soft Voice Whispers Nothing." In the story, Dr. Zirk's notions on identity and permanence are quite similar in outlook to those of UGK. Thirdly, in the story "I Have a Special Plan for This World," everyone's favorite boss is named U. G. Blaine. (I always read this as Unmitigated Gall Blaine in previous readings - until now.) Go figure.

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006   #14
SwansSoilMe/SwansSaveMe
Chymist
Points: 23,365, Level: 100 Points: 23,365, Level: 100 Points: 23,365, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I've since been less then satisifed with what 've read of that guy David Quinn.

"Think of it [Mr. Veech] -- wood waking up."
SwansSoilMe/SwansSaveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007   #15
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

About a week ago I stumbled across the news that U.G. died a couple of months ago, on March 22nd. I figured some of my fellow Ligottians would be interested to know, for obvious reasons. The official obituary, titled "Thinker, philosopher U.G. Krishnamurti dead," appears at the website for the Indian website DNA, or Daily News and Analysis.

Here's the text:

Thinker, philosopher UG Krishnamurti dead

Sunday, March 25, 2007 02:41 IST

“BANGALORE: Thinker and philosopher UG Krishnamurti has died at Vallecrossia in Italy aged 89.

“Krishnamurti, lovingly called UG by his friends and admirers, had slipped and injured himself seven weeks ago and was bedridden, his friends said.

“UG's longtime friends filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt, Larry and Susan Morris and a few other friends were by his side when he died two days ago.

“Krishnamurti, who had moved to Italy in January, suffered from ‘cardio spasm’ for many years which became quite severe in the last days of his life.

“As per his advice, no rituals or funeral rites were conducted, and he did not leave instructions on how to dispose of his body, his friend and admirer AP Frank Noronha said.

“The cremation was carried out by Mahesh Bhatt on Friday.

“UG is survived by two daughters and a son.”

A much longer obituary is posted at http://www.ugkrishnamurti.org/ug/obi/index.html. The actual news portion, which is followed by reminiscences and quotes, is as follows:

“U.G. Krishnamurti, lovingly called UG by his friends and admirers all over the world, is no more. The end came on March 22, 2007 at 2.30 pm in an apartment built for him by his friends Lucia, Anita and Giovanni in their villa in Vallecrosia, Italy. As per UG’s advice, with no rituals or funeral rites, the cremation was carried out the next day at 2.45 pm, in Vallecrosia, Italy. He was eighty-eight years old. UG is survived by his erstwhile family, comprising his two daughters, Usha and Bharati, and their respective families and his son, Kumar and his family. But his actual family is much larger than that, extending over the entire globe and consisting of numerous ‘friends’ to whom he has been closer than their own families and indeed their own selves.

“Seven weeks before, UG had a fall and injured himself. This was the second such occurrence in two years. He did not want such an incident to occur once again which would make him further dependent on his friends for his daily maintenance. So he refused medical or other external intervention. He decided to let his body take its own natural course. He was confined to bed and his consumption of food and water became infrequent and then ceased altogether. ‘It’s time to go,’ he declared, joined his palms in namaste, thanked his friends and advised them to return to their places. Only his longtime friends, the filmmaker, Mahesh Bhatt, Larry and Susan Morris, and few other friends stayed back to guard his body and do whatever was necessary when the end came. UG did not die of any disease, although he suffered from ‘cardio-spasm’ for many years, which became quite severe in the last days of his life.

“UG did not show the slightest signs of worry or fear about death or concern for his body even at the end of his life. He did not leave any specific instructions as to how to dispose of his dead body. ‘You can throw it on the garbage heap, as far as I am concerned,’ he often would say.”
matt cardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007   #16
Severini
Mystic
Threadstarter
Points: 20,251, Level: 98 Points: 20,251, Level: 98 Points: 20,251, Level: 98
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Sad, sad news.

Thank you for the info, Matt.

If you're a wizard, why do you wear glasses?
Severini is offline   Reply With Quote