THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Questions & Answers
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 05-11-2012   #1
Sam
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 39,209, Level: 100 Points: 39,209, Level: 100 Points: 39,209, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Book reviews: preferred manuscript format?

This is a question for those who review books, as well as those who submit books for review. When a book is sent around for review, what is the preferred format? PDF? MOBI (Kindle)? Hard copy?

I am happy to say that Montag Press is getting dangerously close to releasing our first couple of books. We want some reviews and feedback, of course, but I'm not sure about the best way to distribute the books to potential reviewers.

Any input appreciated!

DimShores.com
Fiction from the horizons of the Weird Renaissance and beyond.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #2
tartarusrussell
Chymist
Points: 19,570, Level: 96 Points: 19,570, Level: 96 Points: 19,570, Level: 96
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Book reviews: preferred manuscript format?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
When a book is sent around for review, what is the preferred format? PDF? MOBI (Kindle)? Hard copy?
As you might imagine, it depends on the preferences of individual reviewers. Ask them, offering all the formats you can...

I was intrigued by something on your website. I'd not seen the term "New Adult" before and was wondering whether it is a common one? (for those new to this, like me, Young Adult = 12 to 18 years of age, while New Adult 19 to 28.)

I can see the point of identifying a Young Adult Market (teenagers as they used to be called), but New Adult? Personally, my literary tastes and my ability to read "grown-up" books was fixed 13-15, and I accept that in many cultures 18 is an age at which one is considered mature enough to make all decisions for yourself. But what is meant to be different about reading tastes/maturity in your mid 20s, compared to, say, mid 30s?

This is a geniune plea for elucidation from an old dinosaur :-)
tartarusrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Sam (05-11-2012)
Old 05-11-2012   #3
Sam
Chymist
Threadstarter
Points: 39,209, Level: 100 Points: 39,209, Level: 100 Points: 39,209, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanks for your answer Mr. Russell, makes sense.

As for New Adult, that was a head-scratcher for me too. One of our editors specializes in Young Adult books, and the first time I heard the term was from her. I think a good explanation comes from this Yahoo! Voices page:

In early November 2009, Publisher's Weekly reported that St. Martin's Press will develop content targeted toward a specific group of young people: New Adults. Dan Weiss, publisher-at-large of this new venture at St. Martin's, explains that New Adult literature will be geared toward "emerging adults who are navigating career, love and family in a 24/7 connected world."

But what subject matter will the New Adult genre include? Common sense assumes that "new" adults deal with the same issues as all adults, except that they may be dealing with these issues for the first time: first job, first home, first relationship. Therefore, New Adult fiction will most likely focus on young people, college age, late teens to early twenties, transitioning into the modern adult world.

..."Since twenty-somethings are devouring YA, St. Martin's Press is seeking fiction similar to YA that can be published and marketed as adult-a sort of an 'older YA' or 'new adult..."
At least that's the impression that I get. Personally, I think it is important to recognize different niches and specific markets, but the more labels we make up, the easier it is to prejudge or pigeonhole something, too.

DimShores.com
Fiction from the horizons of the Weird Renaissance and beyond.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012   #4
tartarusrussell
Chymist
Points: 19,570, Level: 96 Points: 19,570, Level: 96 Points: 19,570, Level: 96
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
As for New Adult, that was a head-scratcher for me too. One of our editors specializes in Young Adult books, and the first time I heard the term was from her. I think a good explanation comes from this Yahoo! Voices page:
Many thanks for this. I agree about pigeon-holing. And it does seem to pre-suppose that people only want to read about characters of their own age, and in their own situation. Perhaps they do, statistically-speaking. I suppose that marketing types wouldn't pigeon-hole customers if it didn't work...
tartarusrussell is offline   Reply With Quote