THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > Matt Cardin
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-19-2015   #101
MetaMortician
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 3,144, Level: 36 Points: 3,144, Level: 36 Points: 3,144, Level: 36
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: What if God is horrifying?

Speaking for myself, at least, the idea of God is horrifying enough. The reality then . . . .

The black sky was underpinned with long silver streaks that looked like scaffolding, and depth on depth behind it were thousands of stars that all seemed to be moving very slowly, as if they were about some vast construction work that involved the whole order of the universe and would take all time to complete. No one was paying any attention to the sky.

-Flannery O'Connor
Wise Blood, Chapter III
MetaMortician is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (03-19-2015), Druidic (03-19-2015), miguel1984 (03-19-2015), With Strength I Burn (04-18-2015)
Old 10-07-2015   #102
SpookyDread
Mystic
Points: 13,545, Level: 80 Points: 13,545, Level: 80 Points: 13,545, Level: 80
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%

Dreamtime: Concerning The Boundary Between Wilderness And Civilization by Hans Peter Duerr

* Nothing about the fables told by the inquisition and witch trials was a lie, to a degree.. they were describing a darkly pagan culture. The witches used drugs, or natural means to fly away at night. Similar to Joseph Campbell in a way.. the idea is that in order to understand our selves, we have to be devoured by the wilderness.

__

"Soul" Of the Primitive by Lucien Levy-Brulh

* Primitives have no soul because they are instead assimilated into their society , they can't separate their minds from their food, they can conceive of themselves as being in two places at once, and so on. In other words they're prone to being possessed and live in a state of ego death. He also argues how and why a primitive person offers their vital force or mana to hungry ghosts , and various means of magic to ward off or control their environment. He has a very dark vision.

__

Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell

* Even though he argues that a hero transforms in their journey to a defeat a monster, the author also concedes that the hero dies .

__

Deformed Discourse by David Williams

* This is about the function of the monster in medieval discourse.. a lot about negative theology and this sort of thing. This book is really difficult and haven't braved through this one yet. He's actually an English professor at McGill near where I am from (I'm at the other University here in Concordia and know of his colleagues)… Part I traces the poetics of teratology, the study of monsters, to Christian neoplatonic theology and philosophy, particularly Pseudo-Dionysius's negative theology and his central idea that God cannot be known except by knowing what he is not. Williams argues that the principles of negative theology as applied to epistemology and language made possible a symbolism of negation and paradox whose chief sign was the monster. Part II provides a taxonomy of monstrous forms with a gloss on each, and Part III examines the monstrous and the deformed in three heroic sagas -- the medieval Oedipus, The Romance of Alexander, and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight -- and three saints' lives -- Saint Denis, Saint Christopher, and Saint Wilgeforte. The book is beautifully illustrated with medieval representations of monsters. The most comprehensive study of the grotesque in medieval aesthetic expression, Deformed Discourse successfully brings together medieval research and modern criticism.

__

I'm looking for more books like this and have hit a #### brick wall in trying to find more books. I've found whatever serendipitously or by recommendation . For anyone interested.

I've been driven insane with no friends over reading stuff like this and being all in my head about it.
SpookyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015   #103
miguel1984
Grimscribe
Points: 126,205, Level: 100 Points: 126,205, Level: 100 Points: 126,205, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

God is horrifying.

Your fall should be like the fall of mountains. But I was before mountains. I was in the beginning, and shall be forever. The first and the last. The world come full circle. I am not the wheel. I am the hand that turns the wheel. I am Time, the Destroyer. I was the wind and the stars before this. Before planets. Before heaven and hell. And when all is done, I will be wind again, to blow this world as dust back into endless space. To me the coming and going of Man is as nothing.
miguel1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015   #104
ChildofOldLeech
Grimscribe
Points: 58,282, Level: 100 Points: 58,282, Level: 100 Points: 58,282, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Quote Originally Posted by miguel1984 View Post
God is horrifying.

Horrifyingly delicious, you mean!

"When a man is born. . .there are nets flung at (his being) to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets." - James Joyce
ChildofOldLeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015   #105
miguel1984
Grimscribe
Points: 126,205, Level: 100 Points: 126,205, Level: 100 Points: 126,205, Level: 100

Yeah, but what I really meant was that if God were a spaghetti flying monster, it would terrifying for the faithful. Then again, the communion wafer would be delicious!

Your fall should be like the fall of mountains. But I was before mountains. I was in the beginning, and shall be forever. The first and the last. The world come full circle. I am not the wheel. I am the hand that turns the wheel. I am Time, the Destroyer. I was the wind and the stars before this. Before planets. Before heaven and hell. And when all is done, I will be wind again, to blow this world as dust back into endless space. To me the coming and going of Man is as nothing.
miguel1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (10-08-2015), With Strength I Burn (10-08-2015)