THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Rants & Ravings
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 06-16-2016   #11
Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:
Re: Bukowski sometimes reminds me of Ligotti.

Quote Originally Posted by With Strength I Burn View Post
This article genuinely pissed me off. There is no excuse for distorting an author's vision. It is just as bad as censorship.

"The senseless, tragic rape of Charles Bukowski’s ghost by John Martin’s Black Sparrow Press"

The senseless, tragic rape of Charles Bukowskis Black Sparrow Press - mjp Booksmjp Books

People have to watch out for this kind of stuff.
####ing scumbag.
4 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (06-17-2016), Robert Adam Gilmour (06-17-2016), ToALonelyPeace (06-16-2016), With Strength I Burn (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016   #12
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

This article genuinely pissed me off. There is no excuse for distorting an author's vision. It is just as bad as censorship.

"The senseless, tragic rape of Charles Bukowski’s ghost by John Martin’s Black Sparrow Press"

The senseless, tragic rape of Charles Bukowskis Black Sparrow Press - mjp Booksmjp Books

I am amazed that such a thing could happen. Martin completely changed the tone of the poem with his 'edits'. He inserted his voice into it like a coward wannabe who couldn't make anyone read his poems and therefore had to live vicariously through a dead poet's name. What he imagined would make the poem 'classy' makes it stuck-up (the replacement of "dirty" with "vulgar") , and the pithy expressions of Bukowski he changed into a kind of self-aggrandizing confession (the line "I like that" stuck out like thumbnail in my eye).

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (06-17-2016), Nirvana In Karma (06-16-2016), With Strength I Burn (06-17-2016)
Old 06-16-2016   #13
Nirvana In Karma
Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by ToALonelyPeace View Post

I am amazed that such a thing could happen. Martin completely changed the tone of the poem with his 'edits'. He inserted his voice into it like a coward wannabe who couldn't make anyone read his poems and therefore had to live vicariously through a dead poet's name. What he imagined would make the poem 'classy' makes it stuck-up (the replacement of "dirty" with "vulgar") , and the pithy expressions of Bukowski he changed into a kind of self-aggrandizing confession (the line "I like that" stuck out like thumbnail in my eye).

He's worse than Derleth.
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (06-17-2016), ToALonelyPeace (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016   #14
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100

Derleth may have used Lovecraft's ideas and name but at least he wrote his own characters and words. What this guy did to Bukowski's work would be similar to grafting cow's calves to replace Venus de Milo's missing arms to make her look more 'presentable'.

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
2 Thanks From:
Kevin (05-17-2017), miguel1984 (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016   #15
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe

Here was Martin's narcissistic Wikipedia before my edit:
John Martin (publisher) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Martin is justly celebrated as the greatest small-press publisher of the 20th century.
Here is Martin's Wikipedia after my edit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Martin_(publisher)
What bombastic praises:

working alone to heroically publish Bukowski and other, lesser, writers
Martin's editing has been praised for his scrupulous adherence to the spirit and intentions of his stable of writers
s a self-made man, is rightly proud of his contribution to literary history
It's good that you cut his size down @With Strength I Burn

3 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (06-17-2016), miguel1984 (06-17-2016), With Strength I Burn (06-17-2016)
Old 06-21-2016   #16
teguififthzeal
Grimscribe
Points: 24,943, Level: 100 Points: 24,943, Level: 100 Points: 24,943, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

"As the orchid dies without a hospital/And the grass goes insane..." Only The Truly Lost

“The real reason why so few men believe in God is that they have ceased to believe that even a God can love them.”
― Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island
teguififthzeal is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Kevin (06-21-2016), miguel1984 (06-21-2016), ToALonelyPeace (06-21-2016)
Old 05-17-2017   #17
Zaharoff
Grimscribe
Points: 129,158, Level: 100 Points: 129,158, Level: 100 Points: 129,158, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

One of my regrets was when I lived in L A in the 70s, I never tried to visit Bukowski.
I drove to Harlan Ellison's home off Mulholland Drive, and I went into Hollywood all the time, yet I never showed up at Bukowski's house.
Stupid stoner.
Zaharoff is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (05-18-2017), ToALonelyPeace (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017   #18
Insentient Traveler
Acolyte
Points: 7,649, Level: 61 Points: 7,649, Level: 61 Points: 7,649, Level: 61
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

That "editing" is simply disgusting.
If Buk wanted to use vulgar instead of dirty he would have, ignorance was not a problem for Buk.
Changing losing $40 to winning $400 shows a complete lack of understanding who and what Buk was.
He should write his own poem, "What I wish Hank had written so he sounded more like me" so no one would pay any attention to it, instead of the gross pile that is being shown.
"Yip"
I and you, all of us (hug)
Have watched the bestest mental giants
of our current age
Regain their mental foundations."
Al Ginsberg & my ass.

Given enough time we all become psychopomps.
Insentient Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote