THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > News > Ligotti News
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 1 Week Ago   #71
ramonoski
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 11,886, Level: 75 Points: 11,886, Level: 75 Points: 11,886, Level: 75
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
Re: Ligotti panel at NecronomiCon Providence 2017

Me too. I'm geographically impaired, so any tidbit that makes it to this forum will be quite welcome
ramonoski is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Dr. Locrian (1 Week Ago), mongoose (1 Week Ago), ToALonelyPeace (1 Week Ago)
Old 3 Days Ago   #72
faliol
Acolyte
Points: 10,763, Level: 71 Points: 10,763, Level: 71 Points: 10,763, Level: 71
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

I wish I could make it. I might go to the next one in 2 years.

if anyone can record this panel that would be great..

Everyone who are going have a great time!
faliol is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Dr. Locrian (3 Days Ago), Gnosticangel (3 Days Ago), Kevin (3 Days Ago), miguel1984 (3 Days Ago)
Old 3 Days Ago   #73
Arthur Staaz
Mystic
Points: 7,577, Level: 61 Points: 7,577, Level: 61 Points: 7,577, Level: 61
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Hey, who's here? I met (finally) Jon already but no other TLOers. Anybody want to meet up for a drink/dinner tomorrow?

"What lay behind me was no longer any normal, familiar life, that everyday life out of which the impulse to pray raises us, with still at the back of our minds that whensoever we wish we can return. A void was behind me. And in front a wall, a wall of darkness." Georges Bernanos, The Diary of a Country Priest

arthurstaaz.wordpress.com
Arthur Staaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Dr. Locrian (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #74
Frater_Tsalal
Chymist
Points: 12,427, Level: 77 Points: 12,427, Level: 77 Points: 12,427, Level: 77
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%
Send a message via AIM to Frater_Tsalal

I had planned on maybe going on Friday if my health permitted and even set my alarm for 9:30 so that I could catch the 10:20 bus, but when my alarm woke me up I saw it was all cloudy and drizzly outside and I still felt like ####, so I thought, "eh, #### it," rolled over and went back to bed. Undecided if I'll be going tomorrow (I know I definitely can't make it on Sunday). I'll have to see how I feel in the morning. As it is I'm still not pleased with the actions of the event's director so my sense of personal ethics factors in here as well. But I hope anyone from here who went there is, at the very least, enjoying themselves.

"The Outsider must find a direction and commit himself to it, not lie moping about the meaninglessness of the world."
-Colin Wilson, Religion and the Rebel
Frater_Tsalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
bendk (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #75
Arthur Staaz
Mystic

The Ligotti panel just wrapped up and it was really interesting. Very enlightening (or should I say endarkening) about Ligotti the writer and Ligotti the person.

Jon was really the centerpiece of the panel given his close association with Ligotti and his relationship to TLO. Great job, Jon. He provided a great reading of the closing of "The Shadow at the Bottom of the World." After the panel, Jon was mobbed by a bunch of audience members. I had hoped to talk to him and discuss the Vastarien journal more, but I wasn't getting near him anytime soon.

I came away with a much better understanding of Ligotti and his fiction.

"What lay behind me was no longer any normal, familiar life, that everyday life out of which the impulse to pray raises us, with still at the back of our minds that whensoever we wish we can return. A void was behind me. And in front a wall, a wall of darkness." Georges Bernanos, The Diary of a Country Priest

7 Thanks From:
bendk (2 Days Ago), Frater_Tsalal (2 Days Ago), matt cardin (1 Day Ago), miguel1984 (1 Day Ago), Nemonymous (2 Days Ago), waffles (1 Day Ago), xylokopos (8 Hours Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #76
Frater_Tsalal
Chymist

Yeah, I was at the Ligotti panel as well, very interesting stuff (though I really wish that Matt Cardin would have been there as well, but alas). Got to briefly chat with Jon before the event which was nice. I liked his comment during the talk about how he wished that the drug stores of today were more like the drug stores of Ligotti's day. Just now I'm reminded of something that I wrote on the Ligotti Day I put together for Dennis Cooper's blog years ago:

"He [Ligotti] stumbled across the work of Arthur Machen in a local drugstore, and later on that year, in that same drug store, he discovered the work of H.P. Lovecraft via the collection known as Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos Vol. I (interestingly enough, he came across the work of Algernon Blackwood at a K-Mart, which makes me think how truly strange the 1970ís must have been)."

Really glad that someone in the audience brought up David Foster Wallace as well, and the bleak thread that underlined much of his work. It reminds me that I really need to read The Pale King and some of his later short stories one day.

Other topics discussed included the first season of True Detective and its debt to Ligotti, the "glamour of Ligotti's Void" (that sounds a little dirty: the words Jon used were "euphoric damnation"), the kindred spirit that exists between Ligotti and Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska album (esp. the song "Reason to Believe"), TCATHR as an anti-self-help book, "The Frolic" being Ligotti's least favorite of all his stories, the cult of personality that has grown up around Ligotti's name, his bad acid trip at the age of 17, the use of dolls/dummies in his work, his "affinity for crumminess," how his favorite M.R. James story is "The Story of a Disappearance and an Appearance," his love of surf music, how his favorite song is Joe Meek's "Telstar"), Thomas Pynchon, Current 93/David Tibet, Ligotti's religious background, and so on and so forth.

"The Outsider must find a direction and commit himself to it, not lie moping about the meaninglessness of the world."
12 Thanks From:
Arthur Staaz (2 Days Ago), bendk (1 Day Ago), Dr. Locrian (1 Day Ago), gveranon (1 Day Ago), Jeff Coleman (1 Day Ago), matt cardin (1 Day Ago), miguel1984 (1 Day Ago), mongoose (23 Hours Ago), Nirvana In Karma (1 Day Ago), The Chairmaker (1 Day Ago), waffles (1 Day Ago), xylokopos (8 Hours Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #77
Arthur Staaz
Mystic

Sorry I missed you, Frater. We could have had dinner or something.

3 Thanks From:
Dr. Locrian (1 Day Ago), Frater_Tsalal (1 Day Ago), Kevin (5 Hours Ago)
Old 1 Day Ago   #78
Frater_Tsalal
Chymist

Sadly I had to leave almost right as the panel ended because my parents were giving me a lift back home (as I didn't want to take a bus back that late for the return trip). I think for 2019 we'll have to all get a bit more organized ahead of time and plan things in advance, ha ha!

3 Thanks From:
bendk (1 Day Ago), Dr. Locrian (1 Day Ago), Kevin (5 Hours Ago)
Old 1 Day Ago   #79
Dr. Locrian
Town Manager
Quotes: 2
Points: 55,006, Level: 100 Points: 55,006, Level: 100 Points: 55,006, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Thanks for the summaries, Arthur and Frater (great to meet both of you in person too).

It was great seeing the whole grand ballroom practically filled with people.

The panel WAS recorded, and we will be receiving the video sometime soon. Hopefully in the next day or two. I'll post it when I get it.

"...the uncanny is to me the defining trait of this strange and terrible world and our strange and terrible minds." --Thomas Ligotti
Dr. Locrian is offline   Reply With Quote
12 Thanks From:
Arthur Staaz (1 Day Ago), BeelzeBob (1 Day Ago), bendk (1 Day Ago), david (9 Hours Ago), Frater_Tsalal (1 Day Ago), Kevin (5 Hours Ago), matt cardin (1 Day Ago), miguel1984 (1 Day Ago), mongoose (1 Day Ago), ToALonelyPeace (6 Hours Ago), waffles (1 Day Ago), xylokopos (8 Hours Ago)
Old 1 Day Ago   #80
Arthur Staaz
Mystic

Yes, it was a great turnout.

Matt Cardin, you were missed!

6 Thanks From:
bendk (1 Day Ago), Dr. Locrian (1 Day Ago), Kevin (5 Hours Ago), matt cardin (1 Day Ago), miguel1984 (1 Day Ago), waffles (1 Day Ago)