THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > Ramsey Campbell
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-26-2017   #41
Hidden X
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 3,579, Level: 39 Points: 3,579, Level: 39 Points: 3,579, Level: 39
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Favorite Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Knygathin View Post
I agree with a few things you say about the 50s. At least the air and sea was cleaner, not yet as polluted from mass-consumption as today. It was less crowded, more secure, and it was safer to go out at night. It was more social, outgoing, and fun, there was more trust; people went out without locking their doors, and you could leave your bicycle without locking it. There still existed a high quality of natural materials, and locally made products, which was possible because the size of our society was on a more quiet and sensible level. The pressure on stock available was not so hard as today.
But in truth the road towards destruction had already started back then, the globalist capitalists were planning what we have today, and planning the evils we are moving towards.
I think that most folks agree that this common picturecard version of 50s America that you apparently subscribe to has almost nothing in common with actual reality of that era.
Hidden X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017   #42
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Quote Originally Posted by Knygathin View Post
it was safer to go out at night. It was more social, outgoing, and fun, there was more trust
That really depends where you lived. Glasgow used to be the murder capital of western Europe and now it's safer than its ever been. I used to hear about theft, violent attacks and gang violence all the time and now it's much safer here.

Yes, when there was more grass and trees there was also less pollution.

Who are the people who are controlling the globalist plan you're talking about? Wouldn't destabilizing these countries negatively impact many of the people who are planning this? Presumably they live all over the world and they would be affected by the decline and chaos happening?
If I remember correctly, you believed in the New World Order. While I think governments do work to undermine other countries, I don't think they have the foresight or competence to pull off something like you're talking about. They screw up much smaller things and are constantly shown to have underplanned everything.

I can admit that I don't know much about immigration figures, but since I don't have the education to make sense of them and every factor related to them, I don't really trust anyone talking about it. I think most people just say what they want to be true. You have complained about "white genocide" and nothing good can be read into that, so I can't trust your take.
If we were too overpopulated for many immigrants, prejudice and discrimination is still going to hurt everyone.

We should preserve some things, throw some things out and adopt other things from other cultures.

Last edited by Robert Adam Gilmour; 10-26-2017 at 04:19 PM..
Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017   #43
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

kyngathin is right about some things.

Robert, weird fiction was far easier to find in the 50's and 60's than today in my city. I bought Lovecraft's Cry Horror, Werewolf of Paris, The Pledge, Dracula, Space Beagle and many, many more in a SMALL drugstore just a block away from my parent's home. I amassed a collection (3 books short, guess which ones) of Arkham House through the mail and the kindness of Derleth. Petty crime and burglary on my side of town were very rare, and we didn't routinely check to see if doors were locked.

I often walked through town after midnight as a teenager. Wouldn't try it now even with a permit to carry.

Somewhat ...different...now.

For AH fans--The 3 books short lol? Outsider, Leah Bodine Drake and Out of Space and Time. Thanks to AD I had all the AH Samplers. Like new but the thick staples were rusted beyond belief. Another treasure from Place of Hawk's cellar!
Wonderful times for kids with fortunate working parents. Not all were lucky. I used to bring home my friends for supper and my mother always fed them well. They later wrote a great obit for my Mom. She was a wonderful cook. As a kid I didn't realize food was scarce for many. I just dragged my 4 best friends with me because it was fun.

My Mother knew though.

Last edited by Druidic; 10-26-2017 at 08:52 PM..
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Gnosticangel (10-26-2017), miguel1984 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-26-2017   #44
Ibrahim
Grimscribe
Points: 10,360, Level: 70 Points: 10,360, Level: 70 Points: 10,360, Level: 70
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Ancient Images was a nice atmospheric folk-horror read with some unexpected swerves. In places it reminded me of the first Jamie Delano-written run of the Hellblazer comic.

As to Knygathin's remarks, i decided not to clutter this thread with my reaction to some of the more...refreshingly new and interesting aspects of them.
Here's a link though.
Ibrahim R. Ineke: two statements that are not mutually exclusive

"What can a thing do with a thing, when it is a thing?"
-Shaykh Ibn 'Arabi
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (10-27-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (10-26-2017)
Old 10-06-2019   #45
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100 Points: 63,009, Level: 100

https://www.pspublishing.co.uk/the-c...ell-4925-p.asp

I wondered if there would be another retrospective around this time and it has indeed come. 30 years since Alone With The Horrors (which itself comprised 30 years of stories). Upon reading the contents it seemed that most of the stories are in Alone With The Horrors but maybe it's just slightly more than half.

2 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (10-06-2019), miguel1984 (10-07-2019)
Old 10-06-2019   #46
Frater_Tsalal
Grimscribe
Points: 24,926, Level: 100 Points: 24,926, Level: 100 Points: 24,926, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to Frater_Tsalal

These days I would say my favorite Campbell is THE OVERNIGHT, which inexplicably also has gotten some of his worst reviews (online at least). Maybe you just need to have worked as a bookseller (as I do) to really appreciate it.

“Human life is limited but I would like to live forever.”
-Yukio Mishima
Frater_Tsalal is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (10-13-2019), miguel1984 (10-07-2019), Robert Adam Gilmour (10-06-2019)
Old 11-02-2019   #47
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe

Devour Cthulhu with World Horror Grandmaster Ramsey Campbell on Episode 108 of Eating the Fantastic Scott Edelman

I really like this podcast series so I'm looking forward to listening to this one.

2 Thanks From:
Gnosticangel (11-02-2019), miguel1984 (11-03-2019)
Old 11-02-2019   #48
Sad Marsh Ghost
Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by Literally a Nazi
Those foreign people should not come here, definitely not in those numbers. We europeans should protect our own interests, stability, cultural heritage, and well-being. And a revolution against the globalist capitalists is coming. People are starting to wake up.
Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
Who are the people who are controlling the globalist plan you're talking about?
He's talking about the Jews through antisemitic conspiracy theory. The 50s are painted as a happier time because they came after the largest global conflict in human history and were whiter. They were certainly not 'more social' if you didn't fit the perceived social norm. I'd probably have been in prison on 73 degeneracy charges.

Demons by Daylight, Scared Stiff and The Face That Must Die are my favourite Campbells. They're also the least trad of those I have read. Of the tradder stuff I thought Ancient Images was pretty damn great in its ratcheting up of terror.

Oh, this thread is ancient? Okay, well I STILL need to read his newer stuff, so thanks for the reminder, past me. Also the philosophical horror community still has a weird Nazi problem, so that's depressing. Which Campbell should I read next? Not read anything from the 2000s or 2010s bar a few short stories. I've read a ton of his work. There's just so damn much.
3 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (11-03-2019), miguel1984 (11-03-2019), Robert Adam Gilmour (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019   #49
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Happy Die Happy View Post
He's talking about the Jews through antisemitic conspiracy theory.
I did guess that but I wanted to bring it out in the open. And who knows, he might have blamed someone else, like that republican who blamed 9/11 on LGBT people.

Old 11-02-2019   #50
Sad Marsh Ghost
Quotes:

I saw the post near the top of the page and thought it was new because I was tired. I don't generally answer questions directed at others two years after the fact.

General rule of thumb: Europeans/western civilization means white people, globalists/Cultural Marxists/(((them))) means the Jews and the 50s was such a 'trusting' time that the races were segregated because white people didn't trust black people to sit next to them, and people had their lives ruined if they were suspected of being a communist for the way they walked. The only thing you were more free to do in the 50s than now was smoke on planes and be horrifically racist.
2 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (11-03-2019), ToALonelyPeace (05-01-2020)