THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Thomas Ligotti > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-17-2010   #51
Russell Nash
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Re: The temptation to NOT exist

Quote Originally Posted by Piranesi View Post
As Lou Ford would comment:

”If the Good Lord made a mistake in us people it was in making us want to live when we’ve got the least excuse for it.” (Jim Thompson, The Killer Inside Me)
There is a guy on TV, a self-proclaimed voice of God, who says (almost every night) that the Good Lord is going to grant us "eternal life" if we behave good. How would this miracle happen? I often ask myself. There are other religions that assert that our essence, whatever it is and wherever it is, has always existed and will always exist, I presume, forever. According to this, whether we behave good or bad, whatever good or bad are, we already have an eternal essence. In Western countries it is believed that we began to exist with our birth, and obviously die with our death. Modern science even denies that we exist, that we are nothing more than an abstraction. Therefore, if the voice of God on earth is right, somehow something that is not eternal will live forever. If Eastern beliefs are right, no matter what we do, we always existed, and will exist (as long as this Universe exists I guess). And if finally science is right, nothing already exists and then nothing dies.

We created the Good Lord, the Good Lord didn't create us. Religion is so obsolete that people don't see that we give God meaning, because if we don't exist, his show would be over. It's not God giving us meaning, it is exactly the opposite.

Whether there is meaning in life without God, or if we are just a product of our brain cells, I may ask: is there any meaning in life, being us just an emergent property of matter? I couldn't answer right now. It is a matter of belief. Just recently Roger Penrose has said that there is evidence of a pre-Big Bang Universe. If that is true, I would agree that life has no meaning. But the door is still open.

Before the Boom - NYTimes.com

Rings in Sky Leave Alternate Cosmic Visions - NYTimes.com

I know who you are
Russell Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010   #52
DoktorH
Grimscribe
Points: 16,436, Level: 88 Points: 16,436, Level: 88 Points: 16,436, Level: 88
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Nash View Post
We created the Good Lord, the Good Lord didn't create us. Religion is so obsolete that people don't see that we give God meaning, because if we don't exist, his show would be over. It's not God giving us meaning, it is exactly the opposite.
It's a highly abstracted/sublimated form of primate dominance-jockeying. I saw a documentary where they studied the stress hormones in babboon troops. agressive, fighting-to-stay-on-top babboons were more stressed and had poorer health because of it. more laid back groups, like one where many of the agressive males had died off by agressively claiming first dibs on what turned out to be poisonous foodstuffs, had lower stress levels, longer life, better health.

Despite the fact that humans tend to be distracted by their own brains a lot of the time, their bodies detect that stress is bad, tell the brain to look for less stress. inventing an imaginary head primate to take all the stress makes things easier on us.

so while God is there to keep us from worrying about being head primate, religious organizations are nothing BUT primates fighting for status. making religion just another tool for social control, ego-boosting, containment of undesirables. etc.
DoktorH is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Russell Nash (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011   #53
Russell Nash
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorH View Post
[...]so while God is there to keep us from worrying about being head primate, religious organizations are nothing BUT primates fighting for status. making religion just another tool for social control, ego-boosting, containment of undesirables. etc.
My reference was used related to those TV guys illegally practicing medicine. If someone says that by rubbing a green towel on my hernia, I'll be cured, it is a lie. Or if by rubbing the same green towel on my wallet then my mortgage will be automatically paid (I wish it were true) but it is not. It is another lie. I am too honest to lie the way these people do.

I know who you are
Old 01-06-2011   #54
DoktorH
Grimscribe
Points: 16,436, Level: 88 Points: 16,436, Level: 88 Points: 16,436, Level: 88
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My reference was used related to those TV guys illegally practicing medicine. If someone says that by rubbing a green towel on my hernia, I'll be cured, it is a lie. Or if by rubbing the same green towel on my wallet then my mortgage will be automatically paid (I wish it were true) but it is not. It is another lie. I am too honest to lie the way these people do.
I suspect the magic green towel salespeople either spend the money more wisely than their customers, or have more fun with it. because they know it won't last.
DoktorH is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Russell Nash (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011   #55
Russell Nash
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorH View Post
I suspect the magic green towel salespeople either spend the money more wisely than their customers, or have more fun with it. because they know it won't last.
The only antidote against God is knowledge. Not necessarily science, but knowledge. The only ally these green towel people have is ignorance. I wonder if these modern salespeople known anything about their own existence, why they exist, or if there is a answer to that question. For them, it looks like "money" is their meaning for existence. Just by looking at the sky at night in summer time tells me that money is printed paper and we are but a tiny nothingness in the entire Cosmos.

I know who you are
Old 04-12-2017   #56
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Points: 20,943, Level: 99 Points: 20,943, Level: 99 Points: 20,943, Level: 99
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Yes-and for me this is not a temptation but a passion. I long to be consumed by an absurd joy that would annihilate my existence so I will be nothing more than a dust of happiness.

I have experienced this absurd joy twice. There is no reason for it, no reason for the smile, no understanding. If someone were to tell me in such a moment that I would die in the next second, it wouldn't matter. On the contrary, it would be an ultimate betrayal to myself if I survive such an experience.

"So in the end it remains advisable to accept whatever comes, to behave like an inert mass even if one feels oneself being swept away, not to be lured into a single unneccesary step, to regard others with the gaze of an animal, to feel no remorse, in short to crush with one's own hand any ghost of life that subsists, that is, to intensify the final quiet of the grave still further and let nothing beyond that endure." ---Franz Kafka, Resolutions
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-12-2017), Mr. Veech (04-12-2017)