THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Thomas Ligotti > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 05-09-2019   #61
Karnos
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100 Points: 25,491, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%
Re: Science Fiction Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by gveranon View Post
Supposedly Harlan Ellison had a Frank Herbert novel manuscript on hand for the never-published The Last Dangerous Visions (the anthology was projected to be so huge that it could contain a full-length novel along with dozens of stories). I have sometimes wondered about this. Is there really an unpublished novel-length manuscript by Herbert in a dusty box somewhere among Ellison's effects? It's hard for me to believe such a manuscript exists, because it would potentially be worth millions to Herbert's heirs, and they surely would have retrieved the publication rights from Ellison long ago.
That's interesting, and now with Harlan Ellison gone, there will never be any way to know. Not that he had showed any interest in the last twenty years to get it published, or whatever.

The book's wikipedia entry (not the best fo sources, but what are we going to do about that?) states that the collection was going to be published on three volumes, with the third one including a story by Frank Herbert, called The Accidental Ferosslk, which was latter published as The Daddy Box in 2014, long after Herbert's death, in The Collected Stories of Frank Herbert

Not much of a book, but as a rumor it's a nice one.

Anyway, people die...
-Current 93

I am simply an accident. Why take it all so seriously?
-Emil Cioran
Karnos is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Gnosticangel (05-09-2019), gveranon (05-09-2019), miguel1984 (05-10-2019), Robert Adam Gilmour (05-10-2019)
Old 05-09-2019   #62
gveranon
Grimscribe
Points: 43,580, Level: 100 Points: 43,580, Level: 100 Points: 43,580, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Karnos View Post
Quote Originally Posted by gveranon View Post
Supposedly Harlan Ellison had a Frank Herbert novel manuscript on hand for the never-published The Last Dangerous Visions (the anthology was projected to be so huge that it could contain a full-length novel along with dozens of stories). I have sometimes wondered about this. Is there really an unpublished novel-length manuscript by Herbert in a dusty box somewhere among Ellison's effects? It's hard for me to believe such a manuscript exists, because it would potentially be worth millions to Herbert's heirs, and they surely would have retrieved the publication rights from Ellison long ago.
That's interesting, and now with Harlan Ellison gone, there will never be any way to know. Not that he had showed any interest in the last twenty years to get it published, or whatever.

The book's wikipedia entry (not the best fo sources, but what are we going to do about that?) states that the collection was going to be published on three volumes, with the third one including a story by Frank Herbert, called The Accidental Ferosslk, which was latter published as The Daddy Box in 2014, long after Herbert's death, in The Collected Stories of Frank Herbert

Not much of a book, but as a rumor it's a nice one.
Was that just a confabulation of my memory? There was no doubt in my mind that decades ago Ellison repeatedly said there would be a full novel by Frank Herbert in TLDV, but I can't find any source for that now. Very strange. I think I'll lie down for a while.
gveranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019   #63
miguel1984
Grimscribe
Points: 126,929, Level: 100 Points: 126,929, Level: 100 Points: 126,929, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

The other Frank Herbert book I read is The Santaroga Barrier and I highly recommend it.

Regarding The Last Dangerous Visions: The story by Herbert is called The Accidental Ferosslk and it was published under the title The Daddy Box in the 2014 collection The Collected Stories of Frank Herbert.

Your fall should be like the fall of mountains. But I was before mountains. I was in the beginning, and shall be forever. The first and the last. The world come full circle. I am not the wheel. I am the hand that turns the wheel. I am Time, the Destroyer. I was the wind and the stars before this. Before planets. Before heaven and hell. And when all is done, I will be wind again, to blow this world as dust back into endless space. To me the coming and going of Man is as nothing.
miguel1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Gnosticangel (05-10-2019), Robert Adam Gilmour (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019   #64
miguel1984
Grimscribe
Points: 126,929, Level: 100 Points: 126,929, Level: 100 Points: 126,929, Level: 100

I forgot about Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy. Just don't bother with the rest of them.

Your fall should be like the fall of mountains. But I was before mountains. I was in the beginning, and shall be forever. The first and the last. The world come full circle. I am not the wheel. I am the hand that turns the wheel. I am Time, the Destroyer. I was the wind and the stars before this. Before planets. Before heaven and hell. And when all is done, I will be wind again, to blow this world as dust back into endless space. To me the coming and going of Man is as nothing.
Old 05-10-2019   #65
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,822, Level: 100 Points: 63,822, Level: 100 Points: 63,822, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

I'm researching quite a lot of authors known for long serial novels that I had previously avoided because I often assumed they were probably commercial fluff.
I've got mixed feelings about doing this because I know that by investigating them, I probably will be reading more bad stuff than I would normally be but I hope some good discoveries will compensate for that.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019   #66
miguel1984
Grimscribe

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post
I'm researching quite a lot of authors known for long serial novels that I had previously avoided because I often assumed they were probably commercial fluff.
I've got mixed feelings about doing this because I know that by investigating them, I probably will be reading more bad stuff than I would normally be but I hope some good discoveries will compensate for that.
I understand how you feel. I have avoided reading long sagas, like Malazan Book of the Fallen or The Black Company, for example, for that same reason. I also hate it when they stretch the story just to keep putting out product like an assembly line.

Thanks From:
Robert Adam Gilmour (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019   #67
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 63,822, Level: 100 Points: 63,822, Level: 100 Points: 63,822, Level: 100

I got an omnibus of Black Company recently at a charity shop.
With people in my usual circles there's very little information about a lot of these authors, so I try to expand my goodreads reviewer pool to know more about stuff that readers like myself and critics/canon makers miss.
There's some revaluation of authors like Andre Norton I found interesting, I've heard good stuff about early Piers Anthony and a bunch of other authors I had previously dismissed.
We need more genre guides written by a variety of people with experience in different areas. James Davis Nicoll champions a ton of stuff that most people never talk about but some of which might have been commercially successful at one time.

Most people I follow on goodreads are generally positive on Harry Potter, I didn't expect that at all but I probably wont go there for a long time.

Thanks From:
miguel1984 (05-10-2019)
Old 05-11-2019   #68
miguel1984
Grimscribe

I read the first Harry Potter book ages ago and that was enough. I enjoyed the movies, though.

Thanks From:
Robert Adam Gilmour (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019   #69
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe

Kinda annoys me how every writer I thought I could dismiss completely has some intelligent defenders. Like Dean Koontz and Shaun Hutson, but I probably wont read either of them.
Christopher Paolini (Eragon) is one writer I've heard absolutely nothing good about.

So many series writers completely polarize people into opposite camps. GRR Martin included.

Thanks From:
miguel1984 (05-11-2019)
Old 05-12-2019   #70
Metaphysical Mutant
Mystic
Points: 6,510, Level: 55 Points: 6,510, Level: 55 Points: 6,510, Level: 55
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

I recently read the first Harry Potter book, and it was kind of a nostalgic experience, not because I'd read it before but because it reminded me of the kind of thing I was reading back when I was watching Nickelodeon. I can see how a younger audience would like it since it combines the experience of going to school that they know with magic and adventure, and Rowling does comes up with some original stuff in her magical world, but it didn't hook me enough to continue with the other books.
Metaphysical Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (05-12-2019)