THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Philosophy
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 11-13-2014   #11
SpookyDread
Mystic
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 3,711, Level: 40 Points: 3,711, Level: 40 Points: 3,711, Level: 40
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Literary Criticism hermeneutics, Magnetics Metrics and Pneumatological Scholarshi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D. View Post
Saruman is a villain. He does evil when he could have done good. Frodo is a hero. What he does is heroic. Sauron is a literary device as much as anything else. He is based on Milton's Lucifer in "Paradise Lost" filtered through Tolkien's WW1 experiences. Where Sauron is a fallen angel Gandalf is a loyal angel. These ideas are best explicated in the Silmarilian. It shows how Tolkien created what is essentially a Christian myth.
Saruman's will to do wrong by people is not indicative of who Saruman is as a Wizard .

He is better sensed as a Wizard , and mysterium tremendum et fascinans , than Gandalf, who is just an old man with a cane, that shoots fireworks, and doesn't do anything throughout the film at all, for that matter,

Gandalf can't even fathom Frodo's ability to commune with the spirit world

isn't that how Saruman is a real wizard and Gandalf is not?

Gandalf is a rational ego self, not a negativity portal to the supernatural
SpookyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014   #12
gveranon
Grimscribe
Points: 28,151, Level: 100 Points: 28,151, Level: 100 Points: 28,151, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Re: Literary Criticism hermeneutics, Magnetics Metrics and Pneumatological Scholarshi

I'm really hoping that Harold Bloom will sign up for TLO and jump in here.
gveranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014   #13
SpookyDread
Mystic
Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by gveranon View Post
I'm really hoping that Harold Bloom will sign up for TLO and jump in here.
I WOULD HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONS FOR HIM .

like, what the heck…

1) Harold Bloom, when you were 5 years old, is the man or woman in your body now able to remember what you were given for your birthday? Or much else before the onset of puberty when you developed an interest in sexuality and religious worship?

2) Harold Bloom, how much sleep do you get a night? about as much as the character in your novel, right?

3) Harold Bloom, … Do you know any women possessed by dybbuk? I know professors and alumni at my University who would like to know, and I am sure Vietnamese, Japanese and Korean scholars would find it interesting!

4) Harold Bloom, What do you think of the spatial layouts of churches and do you think there is a enough room in there for the daemonic and purification?

5) Harold Bloom, kids from my generation were basically thrown out of church for wanting this kind of connection to their native religion, how do you feel about that?

6) Harold Bloom, are you aware that these very same rituals in other cultures involve a laborious and convoluted relationship to ancestors and lost souls? Human beings. Not archons, principalities, etc.. people.

7) Harold Bloom, are you aware of the obvious connection between English literature, elegy, shamanism, daemonic-dread, ritual initiation, and abjection? You don't need a degree in anthropology to see this, just a reading of Rime of the Ancient Mariner

…

These are the things I'd want his opinion on.

and No,

Gandalf is not a Wizard. He shoots fireworks. The film and the story are what they are by virtue of the demonic, and I meant that literally, by VIRTUE of the demonic being there. Regardless of what they choose to do. Frodo and many of the elves are demonic enough. You can see through an elf , or Boromir, but you can't see through Gimli, he's too rational. Seeing through someone is a sign of emptiness and a disconnection of their soul(s) from their bodies.
Thanks From:
gveranon (11-13-2014)
Old 11-13-2014   #14
SpookyDread
Mystic
Threadstarter

Very astute observation about Gandalf, this is the easiest way to explain.

Gandalf is himself not numinous, only his cane, or moths. Consider that the spookiest most wizardry scene of Gandalf in the film involves the ring .

Frodo, is himself, numinous.

Saruman, is himself, numinous. (or at least, the implication that he is of two minds is far more pronounced)

Not all, but some of the elves, are numinous.
Old 11-13-2014   #15
SpookyDread
Mystic
Threadstarter

To back up for a second , Integral to how I am thinking .

What and how is the indigenous English tradition of Sorcery throughout Christianity and how has it pertained to pop culture since the mid 80s to the Present day, particularly in the mid 90s -- in addition, from absence of an indigenous tradition of sorcery technically existing, though it's literature is Elegy, if it were to be framed using comparative techniques, how would it resemble in other cultures, given the scientific fact through sleep paralysis science, empathy, and geometry/space it objectively occurs , subjectively

That .
Old 11-14-2014   #16
SpookyDread
Mystic
Threadstarter

Jeffrey J Kripal lecturing on comparative religion,

I believe and would claim that art with Christian iconography meant to suggest a mystical effect realizes the divine perfectly. This is what Rudolf Otto essentially believed, and that it was pop culture, not scripture, that should guide religious orthodoxy.

However,

Oracles are a cursed underclass, and Christmas trees should be the medium between parishioners and oracles. What Christianity is missing is within the first like 5 seconds of this Studio Ghibli film trailer, and the weeping woman is an oracle. I want western religious institutions to wake up, see, it's in front of their face, notice, and see it. It's clear. This is based on a British gothic novel, the wishing tree at the beginning of this trailer is a clootie well, indigenous paganism of the British Isles

I wrote a review on Otto's Idea of the Holy for Amazon,

I titled this Striking Bedrock + Losing Marbles

I want to share my personal opinion of this theological work based on my University studies. I am a product of Generation X predominantly having been born in 1985 and growing up crystallizing my tabula rasa thus my genesis in the early to mid-90s. Some people would consider me more a product of so called Millennials though I vehemently disagree because my parents were the boomers and my grandfather was a veteran of world war 2. That's really Facebook and Oprah trying to sell me hipsters and Starbucks, I won't have it. This theology rises to prominence particularly dear to my generation with the influx of Nintendo and Sony PlayStation games, Japanese anime and weird supernatural horror fiction, etc etc. I grow up as a Canadian within a cultural vacuum (look up the Confederation Poets, auto-pact), buried deep in dark snow drifts, in Montreal Quebec, amid ominous numinosity.. literally voted the most haunted city in North America. I also had a stay in a haunted asylum looming over from Mount Royal, at the top of a very steep incline, called Ravenscrag. I met strange and wonderful people there. These moods, feelings, emotions, are sort of why this theological masterwerk is so pivotally important. It's a vortex of elegy and lament. Oh but I will say more, it's also how traditional S.Korean shamans initiate, offering their vitae to the realm of Hungry Ghosts, Heaven-Man Communion, whatever they call it.. this idea is shared by Vietnamese shamans, and did you know? Daemonic-dread is a loan word from Osoru, saliently different than Osore (regular fear), and the Numinous is a loan word from Kami. Rudolf Otto travelled around the world in the formulation of his theological argument, but nowhere affected him more strangely or wonderfully than the archaic pure land of Japan. This is really a book of esoteric Japanese Buddhism/Shinto as well. His realizations about the Old Testament, gates, pillars, thresholds, have yet to be realized. I want to share a mangled quote from a work on Korean Shamanism by Chongho Kim, after finding Rudolf Otto's theology, I had soon afterwards come across this warbly labyrinthian meditation on the spooky feeling by an author who got possessed during his fieldwork who didn't know to cite Rudolf Otto's work. This was like finding the necronomicon, even though I had already gone insane (a rite of passage according to Wu shamanism beliefs) many years previous.

Daemonic-Dread within S.Korean shamanism, from the chapter titled A Haunted Feeling in Chongho Kim's Korean Shamanism: The Cultural Paradox,

Soh Bosal started the kut ritual with a drum, sitting together with Oki's Mother on the mat. It was a very cold and windy night even though it was spring. Everything seemed to be frozen in the spring cold. It was so cold that I came back to the car for a rest while Soh Bosal performed the first phase of the kut. I was not keen to observe the first phase, because it just consisted of routine procedures. I took a cigarette out of my pocket and put it in my mouth. Suddenly I felt a strong haunted feeling in the air around me. It felt as if a ghost was going to jump in front of the windscreen. I was so scared that I felt goose bumps appearing on my skin, and a shiver ran down my spine. I turned on the car's interior light and looked in the rear vision mirror, because it felt as though a ghost was about to enter the car through the rear windscreen and squeeze my neck from the back seat. I locked all ofthe doors. But still the spooky feeling did not go away. So I switched on the radio and turned up the sound ... I began to talk to myself ... [What] is the reason I was possessed by a haunted feeling just now? ... What did Mirim's Mother say to you? She said, "I do not like to see kut rituals, where there seem to be lots of ghosts around. I feel as if worms are going around my body." Yes! The haunted feeling ... Chisun's Grandmother said to me, "... The waves of life made me know this way." ... Linda ... asked me in a letter "Why do they take responsibility for the 'dark' side of life?" ... I continued to talk to myself... Because of the dark side of social life, there is a cultural domain dealing with the experience of misfortune in Korean culture. In contrast to ordinary domains, the field of misfortune is full of darkness and dampness. Look at this kut for Oki's Mother! Isn't it full of darkness? ... It is my impression that shamanism looks like a poisonous creature. Korean shamanism is very colourful: its dances and music are dynamic, and costumes are full of bright colour. However, most adult Koreans know that its poisonousness. This is why Yongki's Mother said, "I'm not going to a kut ritual because I am afraid of being possessed by the spirits!" (kwisine ssiuiulggaba). Is there any ordinary Korean who likes to be possessed? This is why they don't like to be involved in shamanic practices. This is why shamanism has been stimatized in Korean history. This is also why my research has encountered such strong resistance in the field. The field which I have been investigating is the field of misfortune! Why do people seek shamanic practices even though they don't like shamanism? How can this paradox be explained? Yes! Like cures like. The mode of shamanic healingis homeopathic. It is like using derivates of poison when one is bitten by a venomous snake. In Korean society, there is no one who suffers from misfortune more than the shaman, and no man or woman ever wants to be a shaman. The shamanic illness, an extreme of misfortune, makes the shaman a healer. ... the Stick held by Oki's Mother still showed no sign of being possessed, even though it sometimes shivered a little bit. Soh Basal asked again, "Is it like something has come?" Oki's Mother replied shakily, "Well... I don't know. The Stick shivered a little bit… "

ok, so that was what I had chosen to excerpt. The book now lost in a sea of library requests. I have been planning to buy it because I was so blown away by what that means. I also want to extend my gratitude to the Korean cultural ministry, for helping to foster such an incredibly dizzying array of scholarship, and pop culture steeped in sublimity, profound sadness, elegy, melodrama.. like Shakespeare.. in their television, that they promoted predominantly for free, for no cost, and region free. I could recommend the Moon That Embraces The Sun, and The Master's Sun, as a couple TV shows with full on daemonic-possession, mysterium tremendum et fascinans, though I would characterize it as particularly Coleridgean.. I also throughout my life like Otto was fascinated by Japanese pop culture, and supernatural horror. Thank you to these artists like Lovecraft and Milton for keeping it real.
Old 11-22-2014   #17
SpookyDread
Mystic
Threadstarter

"Alice" is Dead. Weep for Alice. Long live Alice(s). Alice will open your mouth, if you let her. By the breath of her nostrils are "you" consumed. Especially if you're possessed. Then you will belong to Alice. Very wise Caterpillar instructs alice to hold her temper if she wants to keep all of her legs. However, the Caterpillar is also an asshole for not telling "her" she is dead. Thai film explains exorcism below. And release. At least partially.. release comes when you know some other legs. If Alice has forgotten herself so many times well that is very wise indeed. Alice? Kitsune. Alice should rest so peacefully that she can create so many butterflies. What else… yeah each billow of smoke is a different person, and Alice can only be 1 or 2 people at once. Anyway. The sound of one hand clapping though is the ability to paralyze half her body and change more than once.. (rare bird, that Alice)

The Caterpillar and Alice looked at each other for some time in silence: at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice.
'Who are you?' said the Caterpillar.
This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, 'I—I hardly know, sir, just at present—at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.'
'What do you mean by that?' said the Caterpillar sternly. 'Explain yourself!'
'I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, sir' said Alice, 'because I'm not myself, you see.'
'I don't see,' said the Caterpillar.
'I'm afraid I can't put it more clearly,' Alice replied very politely, 'for I can't understand it myself to begin with; and being so many different sizes in a day is very confusing.'
'It isn't,' said the Caterpillar.
'Well, perhaps you haven't found it so yet,' said Alice; 'but when you have to turn into a chrysalis—you will some day, you know—and then after that into a butterfly, I should think you'll feel it a little queer, won't you?'
'Not a bit,' said the Caterpillar.
'Well, perhaps your feelings may be different,' said Alice; 'all I know is, it would feel very queer to me.'
'You!' said the Caterpillar contemptuously. 'Who are you?'
Which brought them back again to the beginning of the conversation. Alice felt a little irritated at the Caterpillar's making such very short remarks, and she drew herself up and said, very gravely, 'I think, you ought to tell me who you are, first.'
'Why?' said the Caterpillar.
Here was another puzzling question; and as Alice could not think of any good reason, and as the Caterpillar seemed to be in a very unpleasant state of mind, she turned away.
'Come back!' the Caterpillar called after her. 'I've something important to say!'
This sounded promising, certainly: Alice turned and came back again.
'Keep your temper,' said the Caterpillar.
'Is that all?' said Alice, swallowing down her anger as well as she could.
'No,' said the Caterpillar.
Alice thought she might as well wait, as she had nothing else to do, and perhaps after all it might tell her something worth hearing. For some minutes it puffed away without speaking, but at last it unfolded its arms, took the hookah out of its mouth again, and said, 'So you think you're changed, do you?'
'I'm afraid I am, sir,' said Alice; 'I can't remember things as I used—and I don't keep the same size for ten minutes together!'
'Can't remember what things?' said the Caterpillar.
'Well, I've tried to say "How doth the little busy bee," but it all came different!' Alice replied in a very melancholy voice.

Alice In Wonderland

Wonderland being quite a graveyard.

Each strand of hair is a different person in her "reserve" . She carries one at a time. She is the Unknown. Saddest thing I ever witnessed once I saw it. Don't know why I didn't see it before. and yes to have hair such as that like the many armed buddha or many-Naga headed Buddha .. means… something about her "identity" , and you have to completely separate each of those identities, free'd from her, as a property can be separated from it's matter. A kitsune is the spin separated from the rotation of a ball. That's what they are. Indeed Indeed. Balls that can shed their spins and get another spin.

Kitsune -- Deus Ex Machina

Last edited by SpookyDread; 11-22-2014 at 05:18 PM..
Old 11-22-2014   #18
SpookyDread
Mystic
Threadstarter

Oh ho ho… Guess where I am going today.

Cambodia.

To ask about the Seven heads.

Indeed I will. I shall. And report back with the results.

I will reference Alice In Wonderland and the Caterpillar too.

yeah there is a Wat outside my house. I live in a small Vietnamese / Thai etc community.
Old 11-22-2014   #19
SpookyDread
Mystic
Threadstarter

OK. While I was there I remembered something David Gordon White wrote in Sinister Yogis , about the drawing out of impurities with the sun, and raining effulgence of heaven from the moon. As an aside.. moving on.. We know that the moon is the closest heavenly body to the earth and it affects the tides. So anything of a heavenly nature beyond Earth is symbolized by the moon.

After talking with the monk a lot , I was by myself with him today because of the bad weather.. the dead are impure, I think he told me this anyway I don't actually remember but … it's whatever it is , is not ghosts.. it's a bit more further away than that.. I think purity may be different now. He reaches into his cabinet and he tells me there is a book I liked in Khmer , it is very large in many volumes (their writing is large), and he said the writing in this is too small for me to read but they managed to compile all of that book into this book. I told him about clapping with one hand, and I tried explaining to him the Alice In Wonderland thing. For real.. his English isn't too bad. The man is a Monk. We parlayed. So in any case. This is the book he gave me I will find it online.. he told me they didn't reprint this one much. huh hmm.. I told him too about my interpretation of the Buddha sheltered by the Naga and that each Naga is different and that the Buddha left his body and each one of those Naga can enter him. And I said I wasn't sure if this is right but there are many armed Buddhas. And I spoke to him about the Kitsune, 9 tailed Fox.. and that it was sad because her soul is gone, and has been replaced. . . and we talked as well about why his school doesn't marry or ever touch a woman. I said it was maybe because the soul is not confined to the body and to marry someone would be mean if that were true.

The Vimuttimagga

ok I don't know much about this but he tells me this one is well liked by Thai people

The Mystery of the Breath

As the title suggests, there is a significant puzzle to be solved by any meditator or scholar who tries to clearly understand the qualities of experience, which accompany the transition from mere attention to respiration to full immersion in jhanic consciousness. I will attempt to show that there are good grounds for confusion on this matter as one traces the historical progression of the commentarial accounts from the Patisambhidamagga through the Vimuttimagga to the (later) Visuddhimagga.

Since the Visuddhimagga is so influential and so widely quoted by modern teachers, it would seem critical that it is reliable and, if in certain aspects it is not, then, with supporting evidence, to show clearly why it is not.
Old 11-22-2014   #20
SpookyDread
Mystic
Threadstarter

I also talked about sleeping and he told me basically if his mind is flying around everywhere too much that he can't rest so he does counting exercises . and these sound advices are why I will keep going to his Wat