THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Film
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #501
James
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 19,664, Level: 96 Points: 19,664, Level: 96 Points: 19,664, Level: 96
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%
Re: Movie Recommendations

Bava's cinematography was beautiful in his colour gothic films. Blood and Black Lace, Planet of the Vampires and Danger: Diabolik also look gorgeous.

I am going through Val Lewton's films again. Horror films don't come much better than Cat People.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
GirlyGirlMask (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Patrick G.P (3 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #502
Nirvana In Karma
Grimscribe
Points: 23,522, Level: 100 Points: 23,522, Level: 100 Points: 23,522, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Watched Irreversible last night on Shudder and it was goddamn INTENSE.

This is my life. This is my damnation. This is my only regret--that I ever was born.

-- Swans, "Beautiful Child"
Nirvana In Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Shadow Puppet (2 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #503
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 11,256, Level: 73 Points: 11,256, Level: 73 Points: 11,256, Level: 73
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

I actually really enjoyed the movie Drive, especially its noble protagonist. It has an interesting soundtrack as well.

drive desire youtube - Bing video

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Patrick G.P (3 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #504
cannibal cop
Mystic
Points: 2,105, Level: 29 Points: 2,105, Level: 29 Points: 2,105, Level: 29
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Brimstone (2016)

Over-the-top, dark-hearted "western Gothic" horror melodrama with biblical overtones that's sure to offend plenty of easily "triggered" internet milquetoast types. Starts great, with the arrival of a sinister preacher in an isolated frontier community leading to devastating unforeseen repercussions for several characters.

If Joyce Carol Oates ever penned an oater, it would probably look like this, but don't let that put you off. A little overdone, maybe, but stylish and visually splendid at times. I dug it.

Another recent western called The Salvation is also worth a look.

A fairly straightforward revenge tale, but executed with a panache unusual these days. Danish settler family runs afoul of local bandits almost the moment they set foot in the country, violence ensues, some of it surprising.

Features Pusher star Mad Mikaelson, as well as famed English soccerer Eric Cantona as a villain, and none other than than Naigen himself from the world's favourite zombie soap The Walking of Our Dead as the main bad guy.

For a neat twist on the zombie story, check out The Revenant (2014) [not the bear one, though that's also worth a look, of course].

One of those rare horror flicks that actually seem to get better or more interesting as they go on. There's some humor, but it's played straight for the most part, and the whole thing is put together with a verve that recalls the style and energy of the much-missed Dan O'Bannon's classic Return of the Living Dead.

Who provideth for the raven his food?
cannibal cop is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (3 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #505
Patrick G.P
Mystic
Points: 1,692, Level: 24 Points: 1,692, Level: 24 Points: 1,692, Level: 24
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

I recently had the intense pleasure of watching Ingmar Bergmanís The Seventh Seal, which is my first Bergman movie. Iím quite blown away that a movie this much talked about, hyped and studied and praised was as good as it is supposed to be. Long beautiful black and white shots, almost like watching a painting come to life, excellent acting from Max von Sydow, portraying a man having a deep struggle with his own existence and the looming afterlife in plague torn Sweden during the middle ages. Sydow plays a game of chess with Death himself to stall his inevitable demise, in order to seek answers to his existence and his search for proof of the divine. I feel the film almost reaches existentialist horror in some of its more intense scenes, and it has some images Iíll probably never forget. This is perhaps one of the greatest films I've ever seen. Many of you have probably already seen this one, if not, please do yourself a favor and check it out, you wonít regret it!

"For he who passes the gateways always wins a shadow, and never again can he be alone."
- H.P. Lovecraft

My Goodreads Profile
Patrick G.P is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), paeng (2 Weeks Ago), qcrisp (3 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (3 Weeks Ago), waffles (3 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #506
cannibal cop
Mystic
Points: 2,105, Level: 29 Points: 2,105, Level: 29 Points: 2,105, Level: 29
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

The Hour of the Wolf and The Virgin Spring (the inspiration for Last House on the Left) and The Serpent's Egg are even closer to horror, and all worth a look.

Who provideth for the raven his food?
cannibal cop is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Thanks From:
GirlyGirlMask (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Patrick G.P (3 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (3 Weeks Ago), waffles (3 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #507
Patrick G.P
Mystic
Points: 1,692, Level: 24 Points: 1,692, Level: 24 Points: 1,692, Level: 24
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Quote Originally Posted by cannibal cop View Post
The Hour of the Wolf and The Virgin Spring (the inspiration for Last House on the Left) and The Serpent's Egg are even closer to horror, and all worth a look.
Thanks for the recommendations, I will definitely check them out.

"For he who passes the gateways always wins a shadow, and never again can he be alone."
- H.P. Lovecraft

My Goodreads Profile
Patrick G.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #508
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 22,493, Level: 100 Points: 22,493, Level: 100 Points: 22,493, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman is a big improvement from Ghost Of Frankenstein but Bela Lugosi just doesn't look right as the monster. House Of Frankenstein and House Of Dracula are roughly the same quality too.
I just realised that after Universal, I don't see a lot of gypsies in monster films (I vaguely recall there being gypsy looking characters in the first animated Vampire Hunter D film but I could be wrong).

I thought Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein might make a nice change, but I rarely found it funny and I didn't get much out of it. Do fans of old comedy rate Abbott & Costello very high?

The Universal Spanish version of Dracula does have a more lively leading actress and a few of the scenes are better than Tod Browning's version (like the brides getting Renfield) but I'm hesitant to say it's a better film.
It's half an hour longer, far far too long. Perhaps it's unfair to judge Carlos Villarias by what we've come to expect of Dracula but it's difficult for me to see him as anything other than silly.

Woman In Black: Angel Of Death is probably better than the previous film, more restrained with cgi but it still has annoying jump scares and some other conventions I don't care for.
Unfortunately it seems to be the last Hammer film, I didn't see many of the others but I hoped they could have made something more impressive.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Patrick G.P (2 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (2 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #509
James
Grimscribe
Points: 19,664, Level: 96 Points: 19,664, Level: 96 Points: 19,664, Level: 96
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein is the only Universal monster mash up I'd consider a genuinely good film. The 'House of...' films are messes, though not without their charm, but the Abbott and Costello film is lively entertainment and treats the monsters with a certain respect.

Universal lost their way in the 40s, so it's good RKO were around to produce superior work. Despite being a fan of Universal and Hammer horror, I in some ways prefer RKO and AIP during their respective eras.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay

Last edited by James; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:36 AM..
James is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), Patrick G.P (2 Weeks Ago), Shadow Puppet (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #510
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 22,493, Level: 100 Points: 22,493, Level: 100 Points: 22,493, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

I'd consider a large chunk of Universal Monster films quite messy but Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman and House Of Frankenstein seemed a bit more of an adventure. The latter has the Karloff charm and two actresses I liked.

I'm considering getting the Jonathan Rigby Gothic film books as a checklist for further exploration. Currently I'm less frustrated that I've probably seen all the best ones (apart from the East Asian period horror films which I would argue are basically gothic films and some of the soviet fairy tale films too), I used to worry that if I was barrel scraping that I'd lower my expectations to the extent I'd damage my imagination but I'm less convinced that's a inevitable consequence now (I think I'll make a thread about this).
The Rigby books gets updated so I hope it won't be difficult to order the newest versions.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), Shadow Puppet (2 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (2 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (2 Weeks Ago)