THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Other Authors > John B. Ford
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2014   #1
Doctor Dugald Eldritch
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 53,013, Level: 100 Points: 53,013, Level: 100 Points: 53,013, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
John B. Ford; a master of our nethermost nightmares.

I have been reading the short horror-stories of John B. Ford lately, finishing his collection Tales of Devilry and Doom and beginning Dark Shadows on the Moon, and I must say that these noxious and unholy tales of black, infinite nightmare are amongst the greatest weird writings ever committed to paper. Ligotti has written enthusiastically of Mr Ford, even collaborating on a story entitled The Mechanical Museum. Like Ligotti, Mr Ford eschews all identification with our real world and instead paints a strange and curious world of ineffable horror and terror wherein human life is but the luckless playthings of cosmic, terrible forces beyond the feeble ken of little man. There is, however, a vitiating air of occasional melodrama that almost threatens to diminish his stories to parody. Though he is associated with Ligotti, Mr Ford has a style and personal signature that is entirely his own. Does anyone here know if Mr Ford is still active to-day, or has he, like so many of the genre's too-rare talents, disappeared off the face of the earth? The collections and works of John B. Ford are extremely scarce to find; but if you can find even one story by he, then I can guarantee you a night of nightmares. Here is The Strangest Interview:

''How could I not approve of the sentiments expressed below?''
- Thomas Ligotti.

Q: What would you do if your death came soon?
A: I'd paint black shadows on the moon.

Q: Does your work portray yourself?
A: Perhaps it does my mental health.

Q: How will you end your dark vocation?
A: One day will see my annihilation.

Q: What do you believe in, Mr Ford?
A: All things evil, darkness, and discord.

Q: Do you believe in God or Heaven?
A:.............................................

Q: What is your greatest expectation?
It's probably evil exultation.

Q: Are you married, do you love your wife?
A: I'm married to the darkness in the Crypt of Life.

Q: Are you real or an image contrived?
A: I'm the lodger in a human with his mind deprived.

John B. Ford was interviewed by John Basford.

I believe in the power of the imagination to remake the world, to release the truth within us, to hold back the night, to transcend death, to charm motorways, to ingratiate ourselves with birds, to enlist the confidences of madmen.
-- J.G. Ballard
Doctor Dugald Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
11 Thanks From:
bendk (11-27-2014), ChildofOldLeech (11-24-2014), cynothoglys (11-24-2014), luciferfell (11-24-2014), matt cardin (11-25-2014), Mr. D. (03-12-2015), MTC (11-30-2014), Nemonymous (11-24-2014), qcrisp (11-26-2014), Ucasuni (03-12-2015), waffles (11-24-2014)