Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2017   #25
Mithras
Quotes:
Re: The Supernatural

The word paradise etymologically descends from the Avestan word pairidaeza, meaning "walled garden", and was most likely an influence on the tranquil descriptions of Garden of Eden.

Correction: After thinking more, I believe the idea of paradise associated exclusively with gardens came by way of Sumerians first, but the idea of an earthy paradise associated with 'leisure' or 'goodness' descends from Zoroastrian influence.

Moreover, the word magic derives from the Greek phrase "magike tekhne", and it refers to the "art of Zoroastrian priests", such as their divinatory, astrological, and alchemical practices.

In a sense, Zarathustra's magike tekhne cursed the West into seeing the illusion of pairidaeza and, subsequently, good and evil within the machinery of thing as Nietszsche posited: "Zarathustra was the first to consider the fight of good and evil the very wheel in the machinery of things: the transposition of morality into the metaphysical realm, as a force, cause, and end in itself, is his work. [...] Zarathustra created this most calamitous error, morality; consequently, he must also be the first to recognize it. [...]"

The idea of progress towards greater truth also originates here.

We are living in magic whenever we use darkness as a metaphor for bleakness, chaos, ignorance, or evil as contrasted to the lightness of serenity, order, knowledge, or goodness. One of the greatest horrors involves subverting and exposing their relative character within an indifferent Becoming (i.e., "Black Lodge and White Lodge are one"), at least to me because I personally do not like transvaluation of values.

Last edited by Mithras; 03-09-2017 at 04:25 PM..
3 Thanks From:
Druidic (03-06-2017), miguel1984 (03-07-2017), ToALonelyPeace (03-07-2017)