THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 05-26-2014   #1
Doctor Dugald Eldritch
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 53,013, Level: 100 Points: 53,013, Level: 100 Points: 53,013, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Hell and Damnation.

Hello. I would like to remark that another form of literature I am interested in is the concept of Hell and the afterlife. Any piece of literature that deals with Hell in an intelligent manner. Aside from The Divine Comedy, Dante's Inferno, No Exit and Rimbaud's A Season in Hell, can anyone recommend me any other piece of fiction that is focused on the Afterworld, and perhaps deals with it in a dark, grim and pessimistic fashion? Any good phantasy of a person condemned to Hell? As always, I would be most grateful.

I believe in the power of the imagination to remake the world, to release the truth within us, to hold back the night, to transcend death, to charm motorways, to ingratiate ourselves with birds, to enlist the confidences of madmen.
-- J.G. Ballard
Doctor Dugald Eldritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Nemonymous (05-26-2014)
Old 05-26-2014   #2
Waffiesnaq
Acolyte
Points: 6,936, Level: 57 Points: 6,936, Level: 57 Points: 6,936, Level: 57
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: Hell and Damnation.

Stanley Elkin's The Living End comes to mind. It's hilarious. Also, Chuck Palahniuk's Damned ("Are you there, Satan?"), although it's not quite as clever as the former.

Adrian Lyne and Bruce Joel Rubin's excellent, excellent film Jacob's Ladder is all about the afterlife; heaven, hell, damnation, salvation. It's loosely based on Dante and the Tibetan Book of the Dead. I know you asked for literature and not cinema, so I'm recommending you

instead.

Stephen King's "That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French" is a very short and effective portrayal of eternal damnation. It plays on Sartre's No Exit.

Now I will try to keep awake. The fog.
~ Eric Basso (1947-2019), “The Beak Doctor”

Last edited by Waffiesnaq; 05-26-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Waffiesnaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (05-26-2014)
Old 05-26-2014   #3
Waffiesnaq
Acolyte
Points: 6,936, Level: 57 Points: 6,936, Level: 57 Points: 6,936, Level: 57
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

You're making me jealous, HG. You have a fine flick ahead of you with Jacob's Ladder, especially when watching for the first time.

I don't really seek out horror screenplays unless I know it'll add a special dimension to the actual viewing experience (the JC screenplay I promoted has some nice goodies in the form of essays, unused scenes/shots, etc.; in fact, I had to order a new copy after tearing up the book to use some pages as mini-posters). I recently read the screenplay to The Blair Witch Project, and it's curious how a story one has seen played out multiple times can suddenly appear so alternately cerebral, so more internalized yet expansive, like a Beckett play. Reading Blair Witch is even more claustrophobic than witnessing it, which I would not have suspected beforehand.

While hardly a horror film, Pen-Ek Ratanaruang's Last Life in the Universe is one spectral experience that cannot be classified as anything except sui generis. When selling it to friends I tend to describe it as a "ghost story without a ghost"; its dreamy structure, shimmering lighting, and funereal cinematography lends credence to the idea of a post-life narrative unfolding around the two principals. Life is portrayed as afterlife throughout, being as totally transmutable, cause and effect as a sick joke, and the ending... well, this film is definitely one of the strangest and most melancholic movies I've seen; its interpretable nature is contrasted by its script being only a fistful of pages long. It's voidal cinema at its finest, and I like to think Cioran would have gotten a becalming break from brooding at the bistro seeing this. So click on the crotch.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-a_LXS_KI0

Now I will try to keep awake. The fog.
~ Eric Basso (1947-2019), “The Beak Doctor”
Waffiesnaq is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (05-26-2014), Robin Davies (05-27-2014)
Old 05-26-2014   #4
njhorror
Grimscribe
Points: 34,896, Level: 100 Points: 34,896, Level: 100 Points: 34,896, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The title of this thread would be a great title for an anthology, or should I say a "helluva" title? I kill myself. Really, I do.

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen

“The wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go.” – Oscar Wilde
njhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Mad Madison (06-28-2014), Waffiesnaq (05-26-2014)