THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Film > Classic Horror
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-16-2008   #1
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Send a message via Skype™ to Cyril Tourneur
Hammer Films...

'what about starting a metathread on one of the best things that ever came out of britain' or so i have thought to myself today...

Home : Hammer

Hammer_Film_Productions Hammer_Film_Productions

here's my starter on that topic and one of their finest films...

The Conqueror Worm: a.k.a. Witchfinder General ...

"Surely the most immoral thing in any form of entertainment is the conditioning of the audience to accept and enjoy violence. Violence is horrible, degrading, and sordid. Insofar as one is going to show it on the screen at all, it should be presented as such — and the more people it shocks into sickened recognition of these facts the better." - Michael Reeves, co-writer/director, Witchfinder General

Undoubtedly, this is one of the best horror films of the 1960s though, being a historical - and largely realistic - piece, it isn't scary (unlike, say, its supernaturally-infused blood-brothers, THE BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW [1970] and CRY OF THE BANSHEE [1970]). Vincent Price may not have enjoyed working on the film - and Reeves himself may have preferred Donald Pleasence - but, in retrospect, it's impossible to envision anyone else in the role; and, as it turned out, Price himself was eventually grateful to the young director for giving him one of his signature roles (though Matthew Hopkins isn't quite his most evil character as it's been claimed - that has to be the Devil-worshipping Prince Prospero in Roger Corman's THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH [1964]).

Reeves (whose favorite film-maker was Don Siegel) basically approached the plot as if it were a Western revenge drama and, indeed, the film's numerous passages showing hero Ian Ogilvy traveling on horseback through the beautiful yet gloomy English countryside on the lookout for Price and his equally sadistic henchman (played by Robert Russell) certainly feels like it; still, in no way does he flinch from showing the hypocrisy of the Church's 'ministers' and the callous agony they inflict (both physically and emotionally) on the gullible, God-fearing village-folk - resulting in about 1½ minutes of cuts imposed by the British censor (and which had to be culled from prints several generations removed from the original negative in order to compile this complete version!).

The script is unusually literate for the genre (WITCHFINDER GENERAL had the distinction of being at once an art-house and exploitation flick!), and the film also features outstanding cinematography from John Coquillon and an exquisite score by Paul Ferris (unaccountably replaced with one composed by Les Baxter on its original U.S. release, to go along with a new title - THE CONQUEROR WORM - and the film itself be passed off as yet another Poe adaptation!!). The cast also features Hilary Dwyer in her best role as Ogilvy's sweetheart, who gives herself to Price in order to save her uncle's life; the latter, then, is played by Rupert Davies; Patrick Wymark puts in a brief appearance as Cromwell; and Wilfred Brambell is amusing in a one-shot bit(!) as a sarcastic horse trader.

One logical conclusion can be made as well...It's a damn shame that director Michael Reeves died at such young age. This was only his third full movie and he passed away at the young age of 24. Delivering such a masterpiece at the age of 23...how many directors can say they've done that??

(Dictated while taking a stroll) I have come to realizewhat a superbly contrived marionette man is. Though without strings attached, one can strut, jump, hop and, moreover, utter words, an elaborately made puppet! Who knows? At the Bon season next year, I may be a new dead invited to the Bon festival. What an evanescent world! This truth keeps slipping off our minds.

- Tsunetomo Yamamoto, The Hagakure
Cyril Tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Daisy (12-16-2008), G. S. Carnivals (12-16-2008), hopfrog (12-16-2008), Ligeia (12-17-2008)
Old 12-16-2008   #2
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: Hammer Films...

Tobias, I needed this like a Hammer on my head. What's next? Wrenching me from some other preoccupation? Screwing with my sanity? Sawing me in half?

Awl the best,
Phil

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
hopfrog (12-17-2008)
Old 12-17-2008   #3
Ligeia
Grimscribe
Points: 48,567, Level: 100 Points: 48,567, Level: 100 Points: 48,567, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I will come back with more..Thanks T.

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream..
Ligeia is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (12-17-2008), hopfrog (12-17-2008)
Old 12-17-2008   #4
hopfrog
Grimscribe
Points: 26,505, Level: 100 Points: 26,505, Level: 100 Points: 26,505, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
I will come back with more..Thanks T.

My favourite Hammer Film is Brides of Dracula. The scene wherein the vampire woman breaks out of her coffin and creeps toward the heroine, asking, "Let me kiss you..." Ah, so sinister sexy scary. I used to correspond with Roy Ashton, who did the makeup for most of Hammer's classic films. A lovely gent, so he was.
hopfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
yellowish haze (12-17-2008)
Old 12-17-2008   #5
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 275,132, Level: 100 Points: 275,132, Level: 100 Points: 275,132, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Was 'Witchfinder General' a Hammer film? When I saw it in the cinema in the late Sixties it was a Tigon film, *I think*.
des
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #6
Odalisque
Grimscribe
Points: 45,811, Level: 100 Points: 45,811, Level: 100 Points: 45,811, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Quote Originally Posted by Nemonymous View Post
Was 'Witchfinder General' a Hammer film? When I saw it in the cinema in the late Sixties it was a Tigon film, *I think*.
des
Yes, Witch Finder General was most certainly a Tigon film. I have it on DVD, so I should know.

Odalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
hopfrog (12-18-2008), Nemonymous (12-17-2008)