THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Member Interviews
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
TLO Member Interview: barrywood
Interview Conducted by Jimmy de Witt
Published by Aetherwing
09-01-2008

INTRODUCTION
Hello again. By now, you should all know this song. I have the honor and delight to present the answers provided me by the unassuming and wonderful Barry Wood. He is a quiet, well-mannered and thoughtful fellow. I recall way back when he first joined here at TLO: I liked him almost immediately, and am happy to know him still.

I hope you enjoy his answers as much as did I.

Thank you all for reading, and thanks to Barry for consenting to answer my questions!

1. Obviously, you are an admirer of Thomas Ligotti's works. So, how did you first come across his writing?

I read a short story of his in a book. I then checked the internet if there was any information on Thomas Ligotti. Thus, I found Ligotti.net. I might add that the friendships I’ve made through that internet site has been astonishing.

2. How long have you been a fan of weird fiction? Also, how were you first introduced to this genre?

I never enjoyed weird fiction until I found Thomas Ligotti. His writing is so complicated sometimes that I cannot even understand it. I am telling the truth, but when you do understand his stories, you are in for a treat. As well, I love how he uses words and how he makes writing seem so easy. Mostly, I find the man himself as interesting and as mysterious as the fiction he writes. I adore everything about him. I’m an obsessed fan, one could say.

3. If you were to choose, which Ligotti story is your absolute favorite, and why?

I can’t remember the name of the story I read when I first was introduced to Ligotti. It was about a man in a park and he saw shadows or something in a nearby window in a house. It was quite eerie, quite disturbing, but no violence so that would be my favorite.

4. Ligotti aside, what are some of your other favorite authors in this genre?

Strangely, there are none. I usually enjoy mysteries of Alfred Hitchcock Magazine type tales.

5. And which stories most influenced you? At a young age (dependant on your answer to question two), and as your tastes changed with age?

As a boy I read Hardy Boys and ordinary books like that. Then from there, Alfred Hitchcock type of stories and now usually short stories from the 1950s and 1960s.

6. As far as horror television shows over the years go, do you have any favorites? Any that had a lasting influence on you?

Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho still thrills me, along with The Shining and The Tenant. I love dark, dark movies.

7. And what about movies?

Surprisingly, perhaps, but my favorite all-time movie is Bridges of Madison County and even more surprisingly because I am not a fan of either Clint Eastwood or Meryl Streep. Isn’t life funny and strange?

8. Okay, departing from this genre, what else do you like to read?

Biographies and Mary Higgins Clark and fluff about Hollywood, the rich, the famous, etc.

9. And aside from reading, what sort of activities do you enjoy?

I walk a lot, and I try to stay in shape so I lead a pretty good lifestyle. I generally do not drink, and I am drug and tobacco free. I enjoy stretching and meditating, but no one knows this as I do this in my bedroom. Sounds so nutty, I know.

10. Do you have a personal philosophy, an outlook on life, as it were?

You get what you give, without exception.

11. Would you describe yourself as a believer in the possibility of the supernatural, or a skeptic?

I believe in the supernatural. I believe the dead walk amongst us—usually happily, but you wouldn’t want to piss off a dead family member, one shouldn’t think. I wouldn’t be surprised if dead people are surfing the internet, perhaps even reading these answers. Hello Aunt Martha!

12. What is your greatest fear? Is it a rational one, or something that might be seen as irrational?

My greatest fear is speaking to more than one close friend at a time. I find that extremely fearful. For instance, it would be impossible for me to sit and party with two people who are very close friends to me. I think the reason is because each friend I share certain information with or we share elements of trusts that another friend might not understand. And tit for tat with another friend. I could go to a crowed pub, no problem, and talk to several people there. I could also get up on stage in front of thousands of people. I just don’t like to be in a room with two close friends at the same time. I have several friends by the way.

13. You are a published author, and a fine one, I might add. When did you begin writing? What spurred you to pursue this craft?

Thanks, Jimmy. Postscripts #14 published Nowhere to Go this year and that was the ultimate in my publishing career thus far. I started writing short stories in Grade Six or Grade Seven. Now I just write a short story when I feel like it.

14. Writers aside, any other heroes/idols, so to speak, be they fictional (Sherlock Holmes, for instance) or actual?

Besides my mother and family and friends, I consider Dr. Bantham. He seems to hold a universe together on Ligotti.net and I think he’s one of the most interesting people on the planet. I say that sincerely, respectfully, and with utmost kindness.

15. Do you have any interesting folks hiding in your family tree? If so, what did they do, what are they known for?

No one that comes to mind at the moment.

16. Writing aside, are you a creator in any other medium?

I took singing lessons in my late 20s. Thankfully my music teacher moved away as I don’t think I had any talent. Perhaps that’s the reason she moved away?

17. What do you value most in life? What makes you happy?

Simple life. Having clean sheets to crawl between at night, a full belly, and good friends. It makes me happy when someone is afraid about something, for instance losing their job, and then they talk it out and feel better.

18. Musically speaking, what are your tastes? A few of your favorite bands?

Can’t think of any right now. Sometimes I will hear old 1970 songs and they remind me when I was young, but then I just forget about the song.

19. Do you have a vivid recall of your dreams? Are your dreams astounding, or pedestrian?

My dreams might be sex dreams, fearful, or where I’m lost, say, in a well or something, and calling for help. Once a bunch of men and wild dogs were after me. I was afraid of the dogs but the men were holding baseball bats. They were chasing me in the forest. It was a scary dream.

20. Anything you would like to add, perhaps something I didn't think to ask? (Again with my lazy journalism!)

Nope. Your questions were delicious. I didn’t proofread my responses and I answered them quickly. I feel that’s the best way to get true answers. Thanks, Jimmy.
16 Thanks From:
Andrea Bonazzi (09-08-2008), bendk (09-02-2008), Bleak&Icy (09-02-2008), candy (09-01-2008), Cyril Tourneur (09-02-2008), Daisy (09-02-2008), Dr. Bantham (09-01-2008), dr. locrian (09-20-2008), G. S. Carnivals (09-02-2008), Jezetha (09-02-2008), Nemonymous (09-02-2008), Odalisque (09-02-2008), simon p. murphy (09-02-2008), Spotbowserfido2 (08-26-2009), The New Nonsense (09-03-2008), yellowish haze (09-02-2008)
By Dr. Bantham on 09-01-2008
Re: TLO Member Interview: barrywood

Quote Originally Posted by Aetherwing View Post
14. Writers aside, any other heroes/idols, so to speak, be they fictional (Sherlock Holmes, for instance) or actual?

Besides my mother and family and friends, I consider Dr. Bantham. He seems to hold a universe together on Ligotti.net and I think he’s one of the most interesting people on the planet. I say that sincerely, respectfully, and with utmost kindness.
I cannot recall receiving such a wonderful compliment from a good friend, or otherwise for that matter. Many thanks for this, Barry. I do not have to wonder if you were sincere, as I know you well enough to know it was so. It came as a jarring but pleasant surprise embedded within a mesmerizing interview with a delightful enigma. Bravo!
By candy on 09-01-2008

A very great interview Barry. I found it very interesting!!! I really enjoyed your answers and found myself relating to several of them. Thank you for doing this interview I feel I know you better because of you answers!
By Bleak&Icy on 09-02-2008

3. If you were to choose, which Ligotti story is your absolute favorite, and why?

I can’t remember the name of the story I read when I first was introduced to Ligotti. It was about a man in a park and he saw shadows or something in a nearby window in a house. It was quite eerie, quite disturbing, but no violence so that would be my favorite.
Perhaps you are referring to "The Strange Design of Master Rignolo". A fine interview, Barry. Thanks for sharing.
By Jezetha on 09-02-2008

16. Writing aside, are you a creator in any other medium?

I took singing lessons in my late 20s. Thankfully my music teacher moved away as I don’t think I had any talent. Perhaps that’s the reason she moved away?

An honest and revealing interview, no frills, the real deal. Thank you, Barry.
By Odalisque on 09-02-2008

Thank you for those interesting answers, Barry.

I didn’t proofread my responses and I answered them quickly. I feel that’s the best way to get true answers.
I think that answering quickly probably is the best way to obtain true answers. But not proofreading? If I do that with anything it's full of typos. You must have much cleverer fingers than me!
By Daisy on 09-02-2008

I find the man himself as interesting and as mysterious as the fiction he writes. I adore everything about him.
These sentences, which you wrote about TL, perfectly describe how I feel about you, Barry. Thanks for contributing such a memorable interview.
By barrywood on 09-02-2008

Thank you, all. But, gee, I did make some spelling errors, but I did not read my answers before I sent them as I wanted them raw. Special thanks to Jimmy. It ain't easy interviewing friends, is it?! You did a fine job.
By Odalisque on 09-04-2008

Quote Originally Posted by barrywood View Post
I did make some spelling errors
I haven't noticed them. But, then, I'm not the world's finest when it comes to spelling. (Ask Des!!)
By yellowish haze on 09-05-2008

Barry, that was a very effective interview. Why? Because it was sincere and the answers were spontaneous. Thank you both, Barry and Jimmy, for this wonderful read.
Comment