THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Quotation Forum > Themed Quotations
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 06-17-2008   #22
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 291,431, Level: 100 Points: 291,431, Level: 100 Points: 291,431, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Puppet Passage of the Day...

This could, of course, be considered cheating. However, let it be known that I am not always one to take the hard way out . . .
Quotation Database Search - "puppet"

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #23
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 57,106, Level: 100 Points: 57,106, Level: 100 Points: 57,106, Level: 100

Something of the darkness and restlessness of the sea had penetrated my heart, so that I lived in an unreasoning, unperceiving torment; a torment none the less acute because of the subtlety of its origin and the strange, unmotivated quality of its vampiric existence. Before my eyes lay the phantasmagoria of the purpling clouds, the strange silver bauble, the recurrent stagnant foam, the loneliness of that bleak-eyed house, and the mockery of the puppet town. I no longer went to the village, for it seemed only a travesty of life. Like my own soul, it stood upon a dark enveloping sea--a sea grown slowly hateful to me. And among these images, corrupt and festering, dwelt that of an object whose human contours left ever smaller the doubt of what it once had been.

"The Night Ocean"
by H. P. Lovecraft & R. H. Barlow
Written 1936

(With a nod to Slawek)

"Reality is the shadow of the word." -- Bruno Schulz
Bleak&Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008   #24
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 57,106, Level: 100 Points: 57,106, Level: 100 Points: 57,106, Level: 100

The body is the stuttering puppet of the mind, beginning as automatic and becoming autonomous. A transference— the puppet becomes the showman.

-- The Logomachy of Zos By Austin Osman Spare

Old 06-18-2008   #25
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Look at your body—
A painted puppet, a poor toy
Of jointed parts ready to collapse,
A diseased and suffering thing
With a head full of false imaginings.

—The Dhammapada

Quoted by TL as an epigraph to THE CONSPIRACY AGAINST THE HUMAN RACE (pdf version)

Old 06-18-2008   #26
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

I had the sensation of being in two worlds at once. In the first place, the ordinary world of things and people had entirely changed, and it was ridiculous even to think of it; so imaginary, artificial and unreal did it appear now. Everything that belonged to this world had become remote, foreign and unintelligible to me— and I myself most of all, this very I that had arrived two hours before with all sorts of luggage and had hurried off to see the Taj Mahal by moonlight. All this—and the whole of the life of which it formed a part— seemed a puppet-show, which moreover was most clumsily put together and crudely painted, thus not resembling any reality whatsoever. Quite as grotesquely senseless and tragically ineffective appeared all my previous thoughts about the Taj Mahal and its riddle.

-- A New Model of the Universe by P. D. Ouspensky

Old 06-18-2008   #27
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

First of all we need to understand that we are machine-people, simple puppets controlled by secret agents, hidden Selves.

We have all sorts of people within each of us, all kinds of Selves. Our personality is only a marionette, a talking puppet, something mechanical.

“Mythomaniacs” abound everywhere, those who believe that they are Gods; mechanical and ordinary creatures, people from the mud of the earth, wretched puppets moved by diverse Selves. These kind of people will not work upon themselves...

--A Treatise on Revolutionary Psychology by Samuel Aun Weor

Old 06-18-2008   #28
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

Only after it had appeared would it begin to make any sound, clattering as it moved directly in front of my eyes, and then, as always happened, I would be looking at a creature that I might say had all the appearances of an antiquated marionette, a puppet figure of some archaic type.

It was almost life-sized and hovered just far enough above the floor of the medicine shop that its face was at the same level as my own. I am describing the puppet creature as it appeared during the medicine-shop visit, but it always took the form of the same antiquated marionette hovering before me in a reddish-gold haze. Its design was that of a clown puppet in pale pantaloons over-draped by a kind of pale smock, thin and pale hands emerging from the ruffled cuffs of its sleeves, and a powder-pale head rising above a ruffled collar. I always found it difficult at first to look directly at the face of the puppet creature whenever it appeared, because the expression which had been created for that face was so simple and bland, yet at the same time so intensely evil and perverse. In the observation of at least one commentator on puppet theater, the expressiveness of a puppet or marionette resides in its arms, hands, and legs, never in its face or head, as is the case with a human actor. But in the case of the puppet thing hovering before me in the medicine shop, this was not true. Its expressiveness was all in that face with its pale and pitted expression, its slightly pointed nose and delicate lips, and its dead puppet eyes--eyes that did not seem able to fix or focus themselves upon anything but only gazed with an unchanging expression of dreamy malignance, an utterly nonsensical expression of stupefied viciousness, dumbfounded cruelty.

-- "The Clown Puppet" by Thomas Ligotti

Old 06-18-2008   #29
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

"The people by me primitively guess that I am enemy and hate me: not alone for being different, or disdaining work, or worse, not doing any; but for something that would seem, if spoken for them, words of magic; for I take their souls away - I know it - and I play with them; I puppet them up to something; I march them through strange crowds and passions; I snuffle at their roots."
William H. Gass - "Mrs. Mean"

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #30
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Points: 95,560, Level: 100 Points: 95,560, Level: 100 Points: 95,560, Level: 100

-- The Sexual Labyrinth of Nikolai Gogol, Simon Karlinsky

There you go: today's puppet passage from a boastful Pole.

(btw, this comes from google books. I didn't feel like transcribing the whole page so I thought about the print screen option;))

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Confusio Linguarum - visionary literature, translingualism & bibliophily
yellowish haze is offline   Reply With Quote