THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Thomas Ligotti > Ligottian Dreams
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-23-2008   #1
Jeff Coleman
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 19,090, Level: 95 Points: 19,090, Level: 95 Points: 19,090, Level: 95
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
Sleep Paralysis

I have suffered from sleep paralysis for years now, and I am interested in the thoughts of others regarding this phenomenon.

The Wikipedia entry for sleep paralysis:
Sleep_paralysis Sleep_paralysis

A Vice Magazine article containing several accounts of sleep paralysis episodes: http://www.viceland.com/int/v14n10/h...mare_on_me.php

A couple of my sleep paralysis episodes:

1: I am lying on my bed in near-total darkness. I start slipping into sleep paralysis. My body seems to drift slowly towards my closet while a noise builds around me, and I feel a sense of foreboding. I wake myself up, and then drift back into sleep paralysis. This happens about a dozen times. During the last one, I am pinned to my bed and staring towards my closet. When my eyes adjust to the darkness, I see ritual paraphernalia (chalices, etc.) scattered throughout my room. There is a pendant that looks like an eye with rays coming from it hanging from my closet door handle, and the chain is slowly braiding itself. I hear a sound like wind chimes, and I become a priest who has been cut off from the kingdom of god and given over to the forces of hell. I hear a sound like recorded voices that have been slowed down, and I am about to understand what they are saying when I wake myself up.

2: I am lying on a couch in my living room, slipping into sleep paralysis. I hear the sound of footsteps walking down the stairs, walking through the kitchen, stopping for a moment in the kitchen, walking into the living room, stopping right behind my head for a moment, and then walking back upstairs. I wake myself up, and then quickly slip back into sleep paralysis, and experience the same auditory hallucination. This happens a few more times, and I start feeling very exposed. I think "It would be so easy for someone to slit my throat now". I hear the footsteps walking into the kitchen again, and when they stop, I think I can almost make out the sound of a knife sliding out of the knife holder...

I woke myself up pretty quickly after that.
Jeff Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (09-23-2008), G. S. Carnivals (09-23-2008), Maria B. (09-28-2022), yellowish haze (09-23-2008)
Old 09-23-2008   #2
Jeff Coleman
Chymist
Threadstarter
Re: Sleep Paralysis

On a tangential note, I searched the words 'knife holder' in Google Images after writing about my sleep paralysis episodes, and found many images of a 'voodoo knife holder', which is now my avatar.
Old 09-23-2008   #3
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Send a message via Skype™ to Cyril Tourneur

thank you for the 'Knife Holder' Image...I should get one of these for my kitchen...

THE EX VOODOO KNIFE HOLDER

(Dictated while taking a stroll) I have come to realizewhat a superbly contrived marionette man is. Though without strings attached, one can strut, jump, hop and, moreover, utter words, an elaborately made puppet! Who knows? At the Bon season next year, I may be a new dead invited to the Bon festival. What an evanescent world! This truth keeps slipping off our minds.

- Tsunetomo Yamamoto, The Hagakure
Cyril Tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Jeff Coleman (09-23-2008)
Old 09-23-2008   #4
Jeff Coleman
Chymist
Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril Tourneur View Post
thank you for the 'Knife Holder' Image...I should get one of these for my kitchen...

THE EX VOODOO KNIFE HOLDER
It took me a while to figure out why it is called the ex voodoo knife holder. I think it is marketed towards people who have been in bad relationships, and the holder is supposed to represent their ex-lover. I initially thought 'ex voodoo knife holder' meant the knife holder had changed from being a voodoo doll in the image of a person, into the person the doll represents.
Old 09-23-2008   #5
TheForgotton
Mannikin
Points: 4,777, Level: 47 Points: 4,777, Level: 47 Points: 4,777, Level: 47
Level up: 14% Level up: 14% Level up: 14%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via AIM to TheForgotton

I haven't had any attacks in a while, but there was a time when I had episodes fairly often. I could usually tell that it was coming when a feeling of dread started to intrude on the dream. I would enter a room or turn around in the one I was in and see a black hooded figure that was exuding the feeling of blackness. As the figure started walking closer, I found myself unable to move. When it finally touched me, I would wake, often after feeing an electric shock-like sensation over my whole body, but still not being able to move for some time. Trying to talk or scream seemed to help break the spell though I don't think I've ever gotten a sound out.

TheForgotton is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Jeff Coleman (09-23-2008), Maria B. (09-28-2022)
Old 10-02-2008   #6
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100 Points: 74,627, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Thank you for sharing about your sleep paralysis. I suffered from savage and frequent episodes of this disorder for a period of years. Rather than go into my personal odyssey here, I'll reference a post at my blog where I talk about it in detail:

Fun with Nocturnal Assault
matt cardin is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Aetherwing (10-02-2008), Jeff Coleman (10-02-2008)
Old 10-02-2008   #7
Aetherwing
Chymist
Points: 17,202, Level: 90 Points: 17,202, Level: 90 Points: 17,202, Level: 90
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Incredible. I was of course aware of sleep paralysis, and have suffered it on 3 occasions. I never bothered really looking into it, as I had a general idea of what it was, after the "soul-searing" (thanks, Matt) dread abated and I regained proper control of my faculties.

I was astounded to read the huge commonalities reported between cases, particularly the sense of a malign presence nearby. The most notable 2 experiences involved precisely that, whereas the other was simple physical paralysis upon waking, and the ensuing panic caused by my inability to move.

The most awful of the three could certainly be seen as an "Alien Abduction" scenario, as I woke up, lying supine, couldn't move, and became aware of what is best described as close kin to that awful Black Thing in the Tool Video "Prison Sex" standing in shadow by the bed. I made Herculean efforts to thrash away from this unwelcome revenant, to no success. And then, poof, It was gone, and I lunged screaming straight out of bed, scaring my wife half to death in the process...

I'm damned glad I am not prone to these episodes. Three were more than I would ever wish upon anyone.

_Jimmy

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

-Nikola Tesla, July of 1934
Aetherwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Jeff Coleman (10-03-2008)
Old 10-06-2008   #8
The New Nonsense
Grimscribe
Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100

This is fascinating. I had an eerily similar episode about 5 years ago. I experienced a combination of sleep paralysis and oneiric hallucination. I awoke in the early dawn hours only to find that I could not move (I was lying on my back). It felt like I had a heavy weight on my chest (like the classic "hag attack"). To my horror, I saw a small person standing on the very edge of my bed watching me. He was about the size of a 3-4 year old, but with adult features and expression. I remember he had short, curly, brown hair and sported a blue vest of some sort. He leered down at me with a smug kind of menace. I can't tell you how frightening his expression was. I'm positive he was aware that I couldn't move. I live alone, so seeing someone else in my place was terrifying, especially since he was standing on the edge of my bed! It felt like he was communicating with me telepathically, giving me some kind of warning or threat, or perhaps conveying a lot with his expression as his lips never moved. I tried to yell or scream but I could barely even get air to come out of my throat -- just a dry rasp. I had the same exact thought as Jeff Coleman, that is, if he had a knife, he could stab me or slit my throat, and I couldn't do a thing to stop him. Finally, I managed to flop onto my side and turn away from this thing. I must have fallen back to sleep, for I woke some hours later. I jumped out of bed shaking and looked about the room to see if he was hiding somewhere. I realized it was a hallucination, but it felt 100% real at the time.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." Mark Twain
The New Nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
bendk (10-07-2008), G. S. Carnivals (10-07-2008), Jeff Coleman (10-07-2008), Waterdweller (10-18-2008)
Old 10-09-2008   #9
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Although not an example of sleep paralysis (as such), the following excerpt is as perplexing and horrific as the episodes experienced by TLO members.

"McGrath awoke suddenly, just in time to see a huge mouth filled with small, sharp teeth closing in his side. In an instant it was gone, even as he shook himself awake.

Had he not been staring at the flesh, at the moment his eyes opened from sleep, he would have missed the faintest pink line of closure that remained only another heartbeat, then faded and was gone, leaving no indication the mouth had ever existed; a second - secret - mouth hiding in his skin.

At first he was sure he had wakened from a particularly nasty dream. But the memory of the thing that had escaped from within him, through the mouth, was a real memory - not a wisp of fading nightmare. He had felt the chilly passage of something rushing out of him. Like cold air from a leaking balloon. Like a chill down a hallway from a window left open in a distant room. And he had seen the mouth. It lay across the ribs vertically, just below his left nipple, running down to the bulge of fat parallel to his navel. Down his left side there had been a lipless mouth filled with teeth; and it had been open to permit a breeze of something to leave his body.

McGrath sat up on the bed. He was shaking. The Tensor lamp was still on, the paperback novel tented open on the sheet beside him, his body naked and perspiring in the August heat. The Tensor had been aimed directly at his side, bathing his flesh with light, when he had unexpectedly opened his eyes; and in that waking moment he had surprised his body in the act of opening its secret mouth."
Harlan Ellison - "The Function of Dream Sleep"

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (10-18-2008), Jeff Coleman (10-09-2008), Waterdweller (10-18-2008)
Old 10-18-2008   #10
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

"Blecher moved swiftly to the door of the office. Without pausing for a moment, not even to knock or in any way announce his entrance, he stormed inside the cube-shaped room and slammed the door behind him. All eyes in the factory were now fixed on the office in the corner. While we had suffered so many confusions and conflicts over the physical definition of the temporary supervisor, we had no trouble at all seeing the dark outline of Blecher behind the heavily frosted glass and could easily follow his movements. Afterward, everything happened very rapidly, and the rest of us stood as if stricken with the kind of paralysis one sometimes experiences in a dream.

At first Blecher stood rigid before the desk inside the office, but this posture lasted only for a moment. Soon he was rushing about the room as if in flight from some pursuing agency, crashing into the filing cabinets and finally falling to the floor. When he stood up again he appeared to be fending off a swarm of insects, waving his arms wildly to forestall the onslaught of a cloudy and shifting mass that hovered about him like a trembling aura. Then his body slammed hard against the frosted glass of the door, and I thought he was going to break through. But he scrambled full about and came stumbling out of the office, pausing a second to stare at the rest of us, who were staring back at him. There was a look of derangement and incomprehension in his eyes, while his hands were shaking."
Thomas Ligotti - "Our Temporary Supervisor"

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Jeff Coleman (10-18-2008)