THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Television
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #151
waffles
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 32,991, Level: 100 Points: 32,991, Level: 100 Points: 32,991, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
Re: Twin Peaks - Series 3

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Adam Gilmour View Post

And learning elsewhere that Twin Peaks evolved from a Marilyn Monroe project.

Apparently Harring talked of a Mulholland Drive sequel once?
This just prompted the thought that Rita (Harring's character) is a bit Dougie-like upon regaining consciousness in Betty's apartment.
waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #152
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 9,870, Level: 68 Points: 9,870, Level: 68 Points: 9,870, Level: 68
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

I tried watching the first season, but I ultimately turned it off and watched Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) instead.

I guess it's one of those "You had to be there" experiences.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Frater_Tsalal (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #153
Frater_Tsalal
Chymist
Points: 12,613, Level: 77 Points: 12,613, Level: 77 Points: 12,613, Level: 77
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
Send a message via AIM to Frater_Tsalal

While on vacation in Maine in the last week of June I went to an alternative music store and they were selling the Twin Peaks Definitive Gold Box edition for a very low price, so I picked it up, as I've been meaning to watch that show for awhile now. Years ago (I'm talking maybe the year 2000) I saw the Twin peak pilot, and over the years I've watched Fire Walk With Me a few times, but have never seen the show proper. So this summer I decided to finally watch the first two seasons. On July 6th I (re)watched the pilot and... haven't seen another episode since. So much for best-laid plans! To be fair though I've been pretty busy as of recent and I would like to eventually finish the first 2 seasons... maybe by the time I'm done season 3 will be out on DVD. I HAVE cheated and watched one season from the new season though: mainly the Nine Inch Nails performance (as I'm a huge NIN fan).

"The Outsider must find a direction and commit himself to it, not lie moping about the meaninglessness of the world."
-Colin Wilson, Religion and the Rebel
Frater_Tsalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #154
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 20,354, Level: 98 Points: 20,354, Level: 98 Points: 20,354, Level: 98
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Veech View Post
I tried watching the first season, but I ultimately turned it off and watched Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett) instead.

I guess it's one of those "You had to be there" experiences.
Not at all. I started watching a decade ago and I'll bet half the audience wasn't old enough to see it when it started. It has its annoyances and finishing season 2 is a challenge but it's really something else.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), Mr. Veech (2 Weeks Ago), waffles (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #155
Evans
Grimscribe
Points: 21,893, Level: 100 Points: 21,893, Level: 100 Points: 21,893, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Bringing Laura back arguably destroyed the overall, bitter-sweet but satisfying conclusion to her story. Remember: Bob's aim with Laura was not to molest and kill her as he had the other girls but to posses her and use her power to spread suffering. Her death is a result of her resisting his invasion (with the ring). Likewise when Leland has the vision of her at his death it's implied that she has ascended to the White Lodge/Pure Light/positive eschatological state.

@J and Waffles (and anyone else), have any of you read Jennifer Lynch's The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer? It really is quite impressive - I don't say this likely as cosmic law normally dictates that any literary tie-in to a franchise must be dreadful - and helps provide a lot of background for her character. There is a White People vibe going on in the earlier entries (for instance in one place she says about dreaming strange things and the Log-Lady telling her something about the woods being a good place to learn secret things) which gives some intermations as to what is meant about Laura being 'powerful' and 'gifted and damned'. It also suggests that the twisted/deviant side of her character was what attracted Bob in the first place as opposed to vis versa i.e. she developed psycho-sexual peculiarities as a result of Bob/Leland's abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Isis View Post
I'm also wondering if "Richard and Linda. Two birds with one stone" isn't in fact a warning that Cooper fails to understand - in other words, Judy is the one taking out the two birds (Cooper and Diane) by luring them into the Odessa reality at the end, from which they may not be able to return.
That seems sort of pointless though considering that the Lodge entities had both of them trapped and at their mercy before.

...except that Bob extracts the suffering from Leland (in the form of blood and the eventual creamed corn), not himself. Bob is clearly "harvesting" Leland in this scene and sharing the results with the other spirits. So it seems easier to believe that Mike is picking up the ill-gotten meal of misery that his familiar (Bob) prepared for him. As for his later actions, it's a two-spirit con: Mike claims to have gone straight when he's really still working with Bob the whole time. Or if he did try to reform, clearly chopping off his Arm wasn't enough, as it seems to be running the show (speaking in unison with him while physically holding onto him at the end of FWWM) and to still definitely be on good terms with Bob. Notice also that in Mike's final appearances in Episode 17, he's filmed in a way that makes him appear pretty creepy/threatening - surrounded by darkness as he knowingly recites the "Fire Walk With Me" poem. Rather dodgy. These are spirits who hang out in the Black Lodge, remember - it seems VERY suspicious that they'd go out of their way to help Cooper so much unless there was an ulterior motive, most likely one involving an eventual harvest of massive suffering, more than worth the minor blips of goodness along the way (such as tossing out another Dougie for the Vegas family - and who even knows how that one will eventually play out).
I'll grant that Mike working for his own malevolent ends is a possibility but it seems uber-convoluted to have Bob and Mike working together - I mean there's so many opportunities e.g. when Dark Cooper's agents try to kill Dougie, for the scheme to go wrong. If the ultimate goal was to trick Cooper and Diane into traveling to another world what's the need of releasing them and letting them fight through endless risky situations? Surely more suffering could be obtained letting Dark Cooper go about his normal modus operandi or just having Bob out there killing random women.

Having Bob and Mike as rivals might be a better option. Mike appears more rational in comparison to Bob who is bestial and raging. If he/they are working to a master-plan though it has to be more sophisticated than just generating suffering from the those characters unpleasant situations - something to do with Cooper and Philip Jeffries involvement with Judy?

From a personal aesthetic standpoint, I'd also have preferred if the last hour didn't go SO Lost Highway/Mulholland Drive - I think there were more than enough narrative balls in the air that they could have brought in in an interesting way. But whatever, it's Lynch's toy chest and he can do what he wants with it.
I would forgive all and every over-indulgence if they literally tied it in with Lost Highway. It would be so entertaining to that film actuelly be about thought-forms and malevolent shamanic entities after everyone spent years thinking it was about some dull mid-life crisis.
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), waffles (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #156
waffles
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 32,991, Level: 100 Points: 32,991, Level: 100 Points: 32,991, Level: 100
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Quote Originally Posted by Evans View Post

@J and Waffles (and anyone else), have any of you read Jennifer Lynch's The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer? It really is quite impressive - I don't say this likely as cosmic law normally dictates that any literary tie-in to a franchise must be dreadful - and helps provide a lot of background for her character.

I haven't read it, but will add it to my list. I'm currently waiting for The Secret History of Twin Peaks in the mail and the Final Dossier next month. Thank you for the recommendation.
waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #157
adam
Acolyte
Points: 11,863, Level: 75 Points: 11,863, Level: 75 Points: 11,863, Level: 75
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, has anyone here tried watching episodes 17 and 18 together synced up? It's definitely worth any trouble setting it up. They are clearly meant to watched that way once you've seen it.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Dr. Locrian (1 Week Ago), miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), waffles (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #158
Trau
Acolyte
Points: 2,787, Level: 34 Points: 2,787, Level: 34 Points: 2,787, Level: 34
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
Since I haven't seen it mentioned yet, has anyone here tried watching episodes 17 and 18 together synced up? It's definitely worth any trouble setting it up. They are clearly meant to watched that way once you've seen it.
I'm skeptical of this and all of the theories that imply some kind of grand design on Lynch's part. He doesn't seem like that kind of artist to me.
Trau is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
James (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #159
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 20,354, Level: 98 Points: 20,354, Level: 98 Points: 20,354, Level: 98
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Re: the question of whether Lynch wants people to approach his work like puzzles to solve.
He made this list of clues for Mulholland Drive.

http://bonobo.jones.free.fr/cinema/clues.jpg

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), waffles (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #160
Robin Davies
Chymist
Points: 14,342, Level: 82 Points: 14,342, Level: 82 Points: 14,342, Level: 82
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
This sync stuff is infecting Twin Peaks discussion all over the internet. It's complete nonsense in my view.
Robin Davies is offline   Reply With Quote