THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Members > Personal
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 03-22-2005   #31
barrywood
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Who Are You?

Thanks for the welcome mat. It is appreciated.

Barry

My story NOWHERE TO GO was published by PS PUBLISHING in a book titled POSTSCRIPTS #14 in England in 2008. Let me know if you've read it. I self-published eight short stories on audio-cassette in 1999 titled, fittingly, BARRY WOOD'S SHORT STORIES. And a few other short stories in little obscure publications -- which I forget their titles.
barrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #32
Stu
Grimscribe
Points: 27,150, Level: 100 Points: 27,150, Level: 100 Points: 27,150, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Hello, I'm Stuart Young.

I've only recently delved into the works of Thomas Ligotti but I've enjoyed stories by "disciples" of his -- Mark Samuels, Quentin Crisp and Matt Cardin.

A large part of my reading comprises of comics. The ones of most interest to Ligotti devotees are probably those by Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman and Grant Morrison.

My favourite films include El Dorado, North by NorthWest, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and pretty much anything starring Jackie Chan.

I'm the author of three short story collections; Spare Parts, Shards of Dreams and The Mask Behind the Face.

The Mask Behind the Face, Pendragon Press 2005
Shards of Dreams, Double Dragon eBooks 2004
Spare Parts, Rainfall Books 2003

Stuart Young\''s blog: http://stuartyoungwriter.blogspot.co.uk/
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
hopfrog (01-01-2009)
Old 03-23-2005   #33
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Points: 78,476, Level: 100 Points: 78,476, Level: 100 Points: 78,476, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
A hearty welcome to all the new folks. Apologies for not naming all of you individually; there are too many of you, which is a pleasant phenomenon to witness unfolding.

Brian Lavelle and Unknown -- Many thanks for uploading your musical compositions. I've enjoyed listening to them. Very abstract, dark, and sometimes jarring. Good music for raising the hackles.

Brian L., you wrote:
I should have also said earlier that I'd be very keen to hear any of your music and hope you get the chance to upload some soon. If it's half as compelling as the fiction of yours I've read, I know I'll enjoy it.
Well, many thanks for the kind words. I hope you're not disappointed by what you hear when I do get hold of the necessary equipment to enable me to upload some of my stuff. My compositions are much more traditional, as in much more conventionally musical, than the works you and Unknown have shared here. As has been the case with my fiction writing, in following my own idiosyncratic daimon I've found that my musical compositions tend to recall and/or evoke shades of my literary idols, at least in the titles that I feel compelled to give them. The three songs I'll upload are titled "Cthulhu Rising," "Ex Oblivione," and "My Own Death Poems," the derivations of which should be obvious.

Regarding Stu Young's presence here, I encourage everybody to take action to read his work. I don't believe I've read any of the contents of his collection Shards of Dream, but I have read Spare Parts in its entirety, as well as the title story from The Mask behind the Face, and they're well worth your time.
matt cardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
hopfrog (01-01-2009)
Old 03-23-2005   #34
unknown
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 31,571, Level: 100 Points: 31,571, Level: 100 Points: 31,571, Level: 100
Send a message via AIM to unknown

sometimes jarring

I bet this was mine

there is no stronger drug than reality

yog-sothoth
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005   #35
Aetherwing
Chymist
Points: 17,202, Level: 90 Points: 17,202, Level: 90 Points: 17,202, Level: 90
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

I woke up in a Soho Doorway,
A policeman knew my name...

Wait...you want personal info on members? What-don't like my Daltrey imitation? (admittedly, he has the finer voice of the two of us, but my pants are not nearly so tight-fitting :wink: )

Anyway...I'm Jimmy de Witt (james, Jim, whatever). I must say I'm really glad that you suggested I join here, Jon. I've enjoyed meeting Brian & Matt , and slowly becoming familiar with all the others.

I work a mind-numbing and stressful desk job at Bellsouth Telecom, in a VERY MWINYD atmosphere. Aside from the paycheck and benefits, I try to forget the job exists.

Like several of you, I bacame a devotee of the Weird at a young age. I used to read my Uncle's American Library Collection "Great Tales of Terror and the Supernatural" over and over, where I first encountered HPL. The rest is pretty much history....

One thing I think we all have in common is that we all appear to be reasonably above-average intellect, and seem a pleasant crowd. That's pretty rare for a large group, and very neat as well.

I'm a music fan also, like many have previously remarked...very diverse tastes in bands.

Oh, yeah...I'm a comics fan as well, and yes, Alan Moore & company are right up there for me.

I just had a story published, as many of you know (if not, and you'd care to read it, I'll shamelessly point you toward it!)...

Ack. Breaktime's over. Back to the saltmines...
-Aether

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."

-Nikola Tesla, July of 1934
Aetherwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
hopfrog (01-01-2009)
Old 03-24-2005   #36
Dr Thoss
Mannikin
Points: 8,049, Level: 62 Points: 8,049, Level: 62 Points: 8,049, Level: 62
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

I'm Alex. I'm 40 years old. I live in Madison, Wisconsin. My favorite authors are myriad. I'm single and childless. Although I own most of Ligotti's books, I haven't read all of them. The reason is because his stories are too disturbing. Right now I can't handle the emotions they evoke. Horror stories are written to evoke horror in the reader. Why would I want to intentionally feel horrible? I get plenty of that in the news and in memory. I started to collect his books probably just because of the challenge. I wanted to own every one of his published stories. He's the only author whose works I do bother to collect. He's that damned good.
Dr Thoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
hopfrog (01-01-2009)
Old 03-24-2005   #37
The New Nonsense
Grimscribe
Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100 Points: 47,346, Level: 100

Hey Alex. I live right by you. PM me if you would like to hang out sometime and discuss all things Ligottian. Wow, so close to home.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." Mark Twain
The New Nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005   #38
Dr. Valzer
Mystic
Points: 17,867, Level: 92 Points: 17,867, Level: 92 Points: 17,867, Level: 92
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lavelle";p=&quot View Post

I've recently read both Quentin and Richard's latest collections and enjoyed both immensely. For those out there who haven't got hold of these, or who have them in the "to read" piles, I encourage you to seek them out.

Best wishes,
Brian
I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed Charnel Wine, Brian. Welcome to the Forum!

Best Wishes,
Richard Gavin

Dr. Valzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #39
barrywood
Chymist
Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100 Points: 24,864, Level: 100
Richard Gavin's Charnel Wine

I'll have to step on some toes at the Halifax library from them to order Richard Gavin's book titled Charnel Wine.

My story NOWHERE TO GO was published by PS PUBLISHING in a book titled POSTSCRIPTS #14 in England in 2008. Let me know if you've read it. I self-published eight short stories on audio-cassette in 1999 titled, fittingly, BARRY WOOD'S SHORT STORIES. And a few other short stories in little obscure publications -- which I forget their titles.
barrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005   #40
Dr. Valzer
Mystic
Points: 17,867, Level: 92 Points: 17,867, Level: 92 Points: 17,867, Level: 92
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Re: Charnel Wine

Hi Brian,

Getting Charnel Wine into the Halifax library would be fantastic. You could always contact John B. Ford at Rainfall Books. He might be able to help you out with this endeavor: John.B.Ford@btinternet.com

Thanks again for your support.

Best Wishes,
Richard Gavin

Dr. Valzer is offline   Reply With Quote