THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Online Literature > Selections by Other Authors
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
Among Family
Among Family
Published by barrywood
09-08-2008
Among Family

Among Family

The photograph was found in the back of the old bookcase along with two pairs of tiny shoes and two little ties. A group family photo, it seemed: Grandmother, grandfather, father, mother, and many children. Maybe some aunts and uncles included. One woman wore an apron and cap. The furniture was Victorian. Everyone except the obvious servant was dressed as if they were about to go to a wedding. No one smiled.

My wife had purchased the bookcase during a trip to New Hampshire, a few summers ago with her twin sister, Ruthie. Now we were sitting in my cottage by the lake in Nova Scotia. All present were my wife and me, and Ruthie and her husband, drinking red wine. The fireplace was blazing while watery snow struck the window. I passed the black and white photograph to Edward who studied it.

“Notice anything about the two little boys sitting on the sofa?” Edward asked, passing the photograph to his wife.

Ruthie laughed. “What strange little boys. Twins, I would imagine. Little ties, little hands, little shoes. Their eyes are the only ones that are closed.

Edward said, “Both boys are dead.”

THE END
13 Thanks From:
candy (09-09-2008), Cyril Tourneur (09-09-2008), Daisy (09-09-2008), Derteufel (09-09-2008), G. S. Carnivals (01-28-2009), hopfrog (01-28-2009), Ilsa (09-10-2008), Jezetha (09-09-2008), Nemonymous (09-10-2008), paeng (09-09-2008), simon p. murphy (09-09-2008), The New Nonsense (01-28-2009), yellowish haze (09-10-2008)
By candy on 09-09-2008
Re: Among Family

Great story Barry!!! I didn't expect the ending. (Although, I should have) hehehe
By Derteufel on 09-09-2008

Death portraits have always evoked in me a difficult- to-resolve combination of melancholy, dread, and fascination. Thanks for sharing your story.
By paeng on 09-09-2008

Eek! This reminds me of a scene from The Others.
By Ilsa on 09-10-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Derteufel View Post
Death portraits have always evoked in me a difficult- to-resolve combination of melancholy, dread, and fascination. Thanks for sharing your story.
When I was younger i used to go to graveyards to take pictures of death portraits. The scary thing is that they used to keep their dead eyes open...their expression...(maybe i should scan some). I also remember when i was living in Venice that every Christmas someone would come and bring a christmas tree with lights and christmas music on the grave of a little child. That was the creepiest thing. How to disturb the sleep of the dead.
(sorry for the off-topic message, but this story brought it all back to my mind)
Thanks for sharing!
By barrywood on 09-10-2008

Ilsa, thanks for that. I find what you said utterly amazing.
By yellowish haze on 09-10-2008

Thank you for posting this flash fiction, Barry. I have always been terrified by such pictures and puzzled by the need to take them in the first place.
Anyways, it's a very good idea for a horror story.
BTW, anyone remembers the scene from Amenabar's The Others... yes the one with the 'book of the dead'?

P.S. Another good horror story on the same subject is Steve Rasnic Tem's The Bereavement Photographer.
By hopfrog on 01-28-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Ilsa View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Derteufel View Post
When I was younger i used to go to graveyards to take pictures of death portraits. The scary thing is that they used to keep their dead eyes open...their expression...(maybe i should scan some). I also remember when i was living in Venice that every Christmas someone would come and bring a christmas tree with lights and christmas music on the grave of a little child. That was the creepiest thing. How to disturb the sleep of the dead.
(sorry for the off-topic message, but this story brought it all back to my mind)
Thanks for sharing!
I once went with some friends to a small graveyard in North Bend -- the wee town that inspired both Sesqua Valley and Twin Peaks -- where my young cousin was buried. It was near Hallowe'en, and many of the gravesites had jack-o-lanterns on them, a few with candles still burning inside the hollowed shell. It looked very strange, as I'd never seen such a thing before.

Your piece is very chilling, Barry. It sets forth an intrigue of mystery that plays with one's imagination. One wants to unravel the mystery of the dead boys -- and yet one is fearful of the facts. Bravo.
Comment