THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > News > Other News
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 08-10-2011   #11
ajfrench
Acolyte
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 8,517, Level: 64 Points: 8,517, Level: 64 Points: 8,517, Level: 64
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Re: New Paying A.J. French Anthology Open For Subs...

Yeah, it's a good point. Sliding scale is a new format for me, still working out the kinks. I'm a fairly new, albeit quite serious, editor, and I'm still trying to climb to a position where I can offer pro rates for all the stories I accept, but I'm still looking for a publisher who can help support me on that. The last two anthologies I edited was with a publisher who could not even afford to ship out contributor copies, which was totally unfair to the writers involved. So I made a point of going with one this time that would pay for shipping costs, so the writers could get a copy. Most of these folks said they preferred a copy to a token payment anyway, hence the idea of grouping my funds together to pay for David Farland/Wolverton, instead of just paying out a bunch of token payments, in hopes that it would draw more attention to the book. The publisher is paying for the shipping and the cover art, while I pay for David, the three $25 payments, and the Dark Discoveries ad later on. I hope to do things differently in the future, and I am all for paying the writer his/her due. Beneath the Surface is actually one of my most favorite recent reads, Simon, so thanks for taking an interest, but I understand if this anthology is not for you at this point in your career. Cheers!
ajfrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Joe Pulver (08-14-2011)
Old 08-11-2011   #12
Freyasfire
Grimscribe
Points: 18,062, Level: 92 Points: 18,062, Level: 92 Points: 18,062, Level: 92
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Here are my two cents on the matter, speaking strictly as a reader. I adore anthologies! Not only do I love the short story as a literary form, but I also use them to discover new writers. And I buy a lot of books. But I don't buy just any anthology that gets released, even if I find the subject matter interesting. And I must say that I do find an anthology with a satyr theme quite intriguing. So I might pick it up regardless. However, when picking up an anthology, I like to be familiar with, and enjoy, at least a few of the writers. This guarantees that even if I find the anthology poor on the whole, I will at the minimum get something out of a few of the stories. I know I might be limiting myself, and might be missing out on discovering great new writers, but the way I see it, I have already amassed an interest in enough literature to last me a lifetime or two. I'll already never catch up. I might also pick up an anthology even if I don't know any of the writers, if I'm already familiar with and respect the editor and or publisher. But this is more rare.

The problem is there are just too many aspiring writers out there. They are not all talented. And I am sure that there are several absolutely brilliant writers who will never make it because they don't have the drive to sell their own material. That seems to be the market these days for the most part in the small press world: self-promotion. What I often see in such anthologies of unknown writers is just that: a quest for recognition. And I know it's hard to get recognized as a writer. The internet has made it so it is easy for anybody to get their work out there. But read and admired and enjoyed? I don't know. What it boils down to is this: my advice would be, if you want your anthology to sell more copies, you need to attract more than one established writer. If they do it for free, great for you. But they do deserve to be paid, and as the cliche goes, you have to spend money to make money.
Freyasfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Joe Pulver (08-14-2011)
Old 08-11-2011   #13
Evans
Grimscribe
Points: 23,773, Level: 100 Points: 23,773, Level: 100 Points: 23,773, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Speaking as someone whose been looking into fiction rates recently I would suggest contributers paid on a one cent per word basis. If funds are limmited you can 'cap' that payment say to the maximum of four thousand words - that is they can submit something longer but they would only be paid for the first four thousand.

The idea of 'pro slots' would only seem viable to me if the author in question was someone whose name would be a sufficent draw to warrant their being paid more (I'd like to see what PS pays King for instance) and even then it's something that one shouldn't discuss openly.
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #14
nomis
Grimscribe
Points: 22,657, Level: 100 Points: 22,657, Level: 100 Points: 22,657, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

If we can be frank here (except for Frank; he must be Dave), the only name that can really move an anthology is King, and even his influence has waned. For the most part, there are no single authors that a book can contain that will make any substantial difference in sales.

But what helps is having as many recognizable names as possible. The better and more numerous that list, the more likely that someone will buy the volume. The best way to draw bigger names is to offer money.

I'd be lying if I said good writers don't occasionally (or often) work for free, but the number of these writers that have made any strides in the genre are slim. The "for the luv" writers tend to be of a lesser quality, and any writer that lays with them is saddled with that stigma.

There is a market for every writer, and an audience for every book. The question is the size of that audience. It's my belief that the audience for a book full of paid writers (even by a token payment) will be larger than one for a book full of "for the luv" writers.

Lastly, I'd like to stress that publishing is a business like any other, and it would be wise for any aspiring editors to line up with one who has a solid business plan for how to move forward, one that is aware some money must be spent to make a product worth selling.

Quote Originally Posted by ajfrench View Post
Beneath the Surface is actually one of my most favorite recent reads, Simon, so thanks for taking an interest, but I understand if this anthology is not for you at this point in your career. Cheers!
I appreciate this, A.J., and if you feel like I'm coming down on you, I don't mean to. You sound like an editor who cares and is thinking about this sort of thing. Just as I'd say to an aspiring writer "Aim for the bleachers, and don't ever undervalue your work", I'd say the same to an aspiring editor. I'd like to see your project(s) succeed wildly, and I honestly don't believe selling them short is the answer. Especially this theme. I think you could get some tremendous work for it if your publisher was willing to pay out for whole table of contents of bigger guns.

Simon Strantzas

http://www.strantzas.com
nomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Spotbowserfido2 (08-11-2011)
Old 08-13-2011   #15
ajfrench
Acolyte
Threadstarter

Thanks for the input, everyone. I do hope that a big name or two, especially in the small press world, for this is just such an anthology, will help draw people to the book, but I do agree that one name alone will do nothing if the rest of the stories are crap. Luckily, I do have some friends who are very talented writers who'll probably submit just to participate. But filling the TOC with as many big guns as possible, and paying them all accordingly, of course would be the best bet, though unfortunately the publisher cannot afford to put up any more money, as it is a limited publishing press. And I have put as much as I can into the book, and have saved just enough to purchase professional ad space in some magazines when the book comes out, not to mention the shipping costs for the dozen or so review copies I'll be sending out. Still, I'm hoping to produce a high-quality book that readers can enjoy.

But, in going around the forums and talking to writers -- many of whom, as you can imagine, have had a similar response to the nonpaying element -- I've decided that, after SATYRS, I will not edit another anthology unless it is for a larger press who is willing to pay out for higher tier writers. With the amount of work (hours and hours) that I put into editing these anthologies, it is no longer worth it to me to "hustle" stories, or rely on friends, or try and talk my way onto people's good side. Still, I am primarily a writer, and so the editing thing is a new realm, but I have realized that I am a good editor with good ideas who can produce a quality product. But I had to get my sea legs, so to speak, which is what these small press 4theluv anthologies have helped me to accomplish, otherwise I would not have had the necessary skills or confidence to approach a larger publisher, which thankfully I now do have. At any rate, I appreciate the discussion, as I learn a lot from chatting with the people. And might I just mention again that Thomas Ligotti's writing is just absolutely bat#### amazing? Yeah. Thanks. Cheers!
Old 10-28-2011   #16
ajfrench
Acolyte
Threadstarter

Satyrs Accepted So Far:

Not Yet Titled by David Farland (approx. 4000 words)
Fair Weather From That Crimson Land by S.J.Hirons (6274 words)
The Golden Fleas by Rhys Hughes (1600 words)
The Satyr by Aaron J. French (approx. 4000 words)
Layin’ a Brodie by J.S. Reinhardt (5882 words)
Opiate of the Lonely One by Fel Kian (4460 words)
When the Faun Fell by Rhys Hughes (3700 words)
Blood and Beauty by Jeff Chapman (approx. 4500 words)
Witchcraft and Devilry by Bennie Newsome (5766 words)
In Vino Veritas by Robert Harkess (3800 words)
A Satyr Once... by David W. Landrum (4900 words)
Unmixed Wine by John “JAM” Arthur Miller (approx. 5300 words)
Casting Lots by Jodi Renée Lester (4000 words)
Montfort Farm by R. Christophe Ryber (5300 words)

Approximate total word count: 63, 482

I'm looking for a final word count of 85,000 words. I've got two subs left in the slush bin, and now the deadline is the end of the year, so I'll be choosing the remaining handful of stories closer toward that time. It's a crazy good bunch of stories, the authors should all be very proud. Cheers!
2 Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (10-28-2011), Spotbowserfido2 (10-28-2011)
Old 12-08-2011   #17
ajfrench
Acolyte
Threadstarter

Less than one month left till the January 1st deadline! Get those satyr stories polished and submitted if you got 'em. Cheers!

A. J. French
Guidelines: Open Anthology Submissions - Wicked East Press
Email: frenchanthology@wickedeastpress.com
Old 12-24-2011   #18
ajfrench
Acolyte
Threadstarter

Just over a week left until the Jan 1st deadline for SONGS OF THE SATYRS. Time to get your hooves in the ring!
Market Snoop:DLSnell.com: A.J. Frenchs Satyrs antho
Guidelines:Open Anthology Submissions - Wicked East Press

Acceptances so far:
Not Yet Titled by David Farland (approx. 4000 words)
Fair Weather From That Crimson Land by S.J.Hirons (6274 words)
The Golden Fleas by Rhys Hughes (1600 words)
The Satyr by Aaron J. French (approx. 4000 words)
Uncle Kantzaros by Iain Grant (9500 words; possible word reduction pending...)
Semi-Satyr by Jonathan Vos Post (6500 words)
Layin’ a Brodie by J.S. Reinhardt (5882 words)
Opiate of the Lonely One by Fel Kian (4460 words)
When the Faun Fell by Rhys Hughes (3700 words)
Blood and Beauty by Jeff Chapman (approx. 4500 words)
Witchcraft and Devilry by Bennie Newsome (5766 words)
In Vino Veritas by Robert Harkess (3800 words)
A Satyr Once... by David W. Landrum (4900 words)
Unmixed Wine by John “JAM” Arthur Miller (approx. 5300 words)
Casting Lots by Jodi Renée Lester (4000 words)
Montfort Farm by R. Christophe Ryber (5300 words)
3 Thanks From:
Freyasfire (12-30-2011), G. S. Carnivals (12-24-2011), Spotbowserfido2 (12-24-2011)
Old 12-29-2011   #19
rhysaurus
Chymist
Points: 15,197, Level: 84 Points: 15,197, Level: 84 Points: 15,197, Level: 84
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%

Although I've already made two submissions to this, I actually dreamed a satyr-themed story the other night and had to write it down the following day and then email it to the editor (which I've just done)... It's very rare that I get my ideas from dreams. I think it's happened about a dozen times in the past twenty years!

"Nothing can be known, not even this." - Carneades
rhysaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
ajfrench (12-30-2011), Freyasfire (12-30-2011), G. S. Carnivals (12-29-2011), Spotbowserfido2 (12-29-2011)
Old 12-30-2011   #20
ajfrench
Acolyte
Threadstarter

Excellent, Rhys! And 3 days left until the Jan 1st deadline for SONGS OF THE SATYRS!

Market Snoop:DLSnell.com: A.J. Frenchs Satyrs antho
Guidelines:Open Anthology Submissions - Wicked East Press
Thanks From:
njhorror (12-30-2011)