THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Technical Information > Error Reports and Problems
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 1 Week Ago   #21
Knygathin
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 4,302, Level: 44 Points: 4,302, Level: 44 Points: 4,302, Level: 44
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
Re: Firefox problem

Well, my computor problems got worse and worse, until the Internet wouldn't even start up. So I finally took a deep breath, and started a clean install. It was hard work, taking a few days. My eyes looked crosswise by the end. First cleaning up piece by piece, and saving and backing up important files. Then I pressed down F10 at the start-up of the computor, which on my computor begins a complete re-installation of the initial 2007 factory settings. Cast ten years back! Internet Explorer in that old state did not work very well on the 2017's Internet; it could only open very simple webpages. I then tried to download Explorer 9, but the computor would not allow me to; I first had to install old online updates for Vista, for the lost years in-between, which was difficult to sort out: Had to figure out also how to disable all other programs in the computor, so nothing could interfere with and stop the installations. (I've almost become a computor whiz by now, after all this hassle, almost! he he ..) Finally I got Explorer 9! (great version!) into the system, and I also installed all the support and protection devises you listed, Zaharoff, in your post 15#, those that I did not already have. And I don't use Google or Chrome any longer! And don't keep vital private information in the computor, so I am not so afraid of infections anymore.

My computor and Internet is now running better, and more smoothly, than ever before! Remains to be seen how long it will last this time. It seems one can do a lot by oneself to keep things running, even if the manufacturers want you to buy all new.
Knygathin is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Kevin (1 Week Ago), ToALonelyPeace (1 Week Ago), Zaharoff (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #22
Zaharoff
Chymist
Points: 5,846, Level: 52 Points: 5,846, Level: 52 Points: 5,846, Level: 52
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Congratulations, Knygathin.
After the first reinstall, later ones do come easier.
I do not know if you moved up to 7 or stuck with Vista.
Windows provided a patch for "Wannacry" ransomware earlier this year, including obsolete OS.
Protect Against WannaCry: Microsoft Issues Patch for Unsupported Windows (XP, Vista, 8,...)
Myself, I have remained with Vista, so I run weekly malware checks from a couple of names.
Never any guarantees, but please try not to click on email attachments.
And no matter what the Prince of Nigeria promises, do not believe him.
I backup files on external hard drive - and - keep the drive unplugged from the USB most of the time.
Unlike some of my likewise concerned (paranoid) friends, I use cloud storage, primarily to sync storage between different computers.
I also use encryption software.
TLO strikes me as filled with worried souls, so I hope other members actively configure their systems to guard against indifferent forces seeking to bleed.
Good luck, and I hope your resurrected setup works well!
Zaharoff is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Kevin (1 Week Ago), ToALonelyPeace (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #23
Knygathin
Mystic
Points: 4,302, Level: 44 Points: 4,302, Level: 44 Points: 4,302, Level: 44
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

Thanks Zaharoff.

No, I didn't get involved in the procedure of how to upgrade to Win 7; it felt easier to just cleanly re-install the Vista I already had. And with the updates I managed to squeeze in, Vista seems to be working fine now.
Knygathin is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Kevin (1 Week Ago), ToALonelyPeace (1 Week Ago), Zaharoff (1 Week Ago)