THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Rants & Ravings
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 2 Days Ago   #1011
Mörkö
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 359, Level: 7 Points: 359, Level: 7 Points: 359, Level: 7
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
Morko, I think Trump's visit to Saudi Arabia is a terrible idea. I think it would be nuts to give them arms. They are not our friends and we don't need a proxy war with Iran.
The House of Saud has been friends with the elites of USA since 1974.

This country has been giving them arms for a long time, and it's a large reason why the Middle East is in big chaos.

Syrian conflict was largely a proxy war between Russia-Iran-Assad and USA-Saudi Arabia-Israel axis, most likely for those competing pipelines I've mentioned. Like I've said, even Israel gave medical attention to terrorists like Al-Nusra, basically equivalent to ISIS, in Golan.

I want you to imagine this thought-experiment:
Rather than ME having oil, Europe has it instead and some Eastern country takes interest. The Easterners notice there are Christian fanatics that are easy to bribe and will be compliant on how to price the oil and transact it in their currency. The Easterners prevent the Europeans from nationalizing their oil reserves, therefore they can't be truly sovereign, or becoming secularists against the Christian fanatics. This Eastern country supports the fanatics, by selling them arms in exchange for petrodollar revenue, who spread their regressive Christian fanaticism across Europe, destabilizing it. In response, other competing radical Christian extremists gain traction through ressentiment whilst the Eastern imperial overlords portray them as the source of all ill in Europe.

This is largely what has happened to the Middle East, just change the words Christian to Islam, Easterner to Anglos, and Europe to Middle East. Whose fault is it ultimately in my thought experiment? The exploiter, the original fanatics, or reactionary fanatics? They all suck. Birds should have inherited this earth.

"The world is a false gem that passes each moment from one hand to another." - Saadi Shirazi

Last edited by Mörkö; 1 Day Ago at 01:29 PM..
Mörkö is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (2 Days Ago), Evans (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #1012
Evans
Grimscribe
Points: 20,050, Level: 97 Points: 20,050, Level: 97 Points: 20,050, Level: 97
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Activity: 93% Activity: 93% Activity: 93%

Quote Originally Posted by Mörkö View Post

I want you to imagine this thought-experiment:
Rather than ME having oil, Europe has it instead and some Eastern country takes interest. The Easterners notice there are Christian fanatics that are easy to bribe and will be compliant on how to price the oil and transact it in their currency. The Easterners prevent the Europeans from nationalizing their oil reserves, therefore they can't be truly sovereign, or becoming secularists against the Christian fanatics. This Eastern country supports the fanatics, by selling them arms in exchange for petrodollar revenue, who spread their regressive Christian fanaticism across Europe, destabilizing it. In response, other competing radical Christian extremists gain traction through ressentiment whilst the Eastern imperial overlords portray them as the source of all ill in Europe.
I suggest someone write an alternative history novel where the climate of hostility from the Thirty Year's War, the ongoing conflict between the the Protestant North-West and the Catholic South-East, continues and later develops around X fantastic natural resource which both sides try to harness (with support, overt or veiled, from foreign powers like the Ottomans et cetera et cetera). I imagine it would be something like a cross between The Glassbead Game and Dune.
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (2 Days Ago), Nemonymous (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #1013
James
Grimscribe
Points: 15,817, Level: 86 Points: 15,817, Level: 86 Points: 15,817, Level: 86
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Criswell predicts....

I don't think Trump will last his first term. I think he will end up resigning, though in the process he'll blame everybody else for his incompetence rather than admitting any culpability. He has tangled himself in far too much crap already for this to turn out well. I find it hilarious that after the white house denied Trump fired Comey over Russia, Trump then went and blurted out that was actually why he did it. Incompetence personified.

God help us.... in the future...

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (2 Days Ago), Nemonymous (2 Days Ago), Nirvana In Karma (1 Day Ago), Pan Michael (2 Days Ago), Robert Adam Gilmour (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #1014
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 119,881, Level: 100 Points: 119,881, Level: 100 Points: 119,881, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
Criswell predicts....

I don't think Trump will last his first term. I think he will end up resigning, though in the process he'll blame everybody else for his incompetence rather than admitting any culpability. He has tangled himself in far too much crap already for this to turn out well. I find it hilarious that after the white house denied Trump fired Comey over Russia, Trump then went and blurted out that was actually why he did it. Incompetence personified.

God help us.... in the future...
The dying, spluttering fireflies in his head will continue tweeting, though. I have my own there. Shame.

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
Nemonymous is online now   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Hidden X (2 Days Ago), miguel1984 (2 Days Ago), Pan Michael (2 Days Ago), Robert Adam Gilmour (2 Days Ago)
Old 2 Days Ago   #1015
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 119,881, Level: 100 Points: 119,881, Level: 100 Points: 119,881, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

I started this thread having spotted an author in the past empathising with someone like Trump. Omensetter's Luck.

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
Nemonymous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #1016
Pan Michael
Acolyte
Points: 4,023, Level: 42 Points: 4,023, Level: 42 Points: 4,023, Level: 42
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

"Might be a good time to ask yourself why do you keep associating with either "brand", if conservatives/christians don't stand for anything you yourself do."

I agree with this. I've never really identified with the Republican Party, as I'm more of an old-style Liberal in the 19th century sense, who just happens to think that health insurance should be considered a human right. I fear there is no current party for that strange combination!

I likewise agree with Druidic that the gravely misguided attempts of Neo-Conservatives to remake the world in our image, has led to countless negative consequences. John McCain is a far better person than Trump, but I wonder what kind of mischief he might get us into with his inflexible idealism? It almost makes one nostalgic for the good old days of classical Realpolitik, which was at least based on something fundamentally rational. To be sure, the Congress of Vienna was followed by one of the longest periods of peace on record.

Nevertheless, Trump doesn't really fall into any of these categories. He's no more a Neo-con idealist than he is a Kissingerian realist. He literally stands for nothing at all, beyond the basic proposition that he is the one who should be in charge. However, what is particularly worrisome with Trump, as Sam Harris and others have pointed out, is that he has the intellectual sophistication and emotional maturity of an eight-year-old. I'm sympathetic to the Antinatalists, and to those who would like to see this sorry world enveloped in a giant mushroom cloud--even if I'm not quite there myself. Yet for anyone who actually cares about the future survival of the human race, the fact that Donald Trump is now in charge of the nuclear codes, has to be the single most momentous fact of the past 10,000 years. As I said, I agree that people like McCain and Clinton represent a potential danger to world peace, but I just don't see them as rising to the same level of threat as Trump. Time will tell, but unlike either McCain or Clinton, I fear that Trump has zero ability to finesse his way out of a tricky international situation. (Imagine, for example, if Trump had been president during the Cuban Missile Crisis. What are the odds of a happy ending in that scenario?) And who knows? Trump might get so fed up with all this Russian stuff that he'll get us into a nuclear war with North Korea just to get the attention off of himself. I actually think this is somewhat realistic. And unless there is some kind of benevolent Providence watching over us, I think that the chances of something like this happening are greater than they have ever been before.

Last edited by Pan Michael; 1 Day Ago at 12:32 PM..
Pan Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
11 Thanks From:
bendk (1 Day Ago), Dr. Locrian (1 Day Ago), Frater_Tsalal (2 Days Ago), Hidden X (2 Days Ago), James (2 Days Ago), miguel1984 (2 Days Ago), Nemonymous (2 Days Ago), Raul Urraca (1 Day Ago), Robert Adam Gilmour (2 Days Ago), Shadenuat (2 Days Ago), T.E. Grau (1 Day Ago)
Old 1 Day Ago   #1017
James
Grimscribe
Points: 15,817, Level: 86 Points: 15,817, Level: 86 Points: 15,817, Level: 86
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote Originally Posted by Pan Michael View Post
Nevertheless, Trump doesn't really fall into any of these categories. He's no more a Neo-con idealist than he is a Kissingerian realist. He literally stands for nothing at all, beyond the basic proposition that he is the one who should be in charge. However, what is particularly worrisome with Trump, as Sam Harris and others have pointed out, is that he has the intellectual sophistication and emotional maturity of an eight-year-old. I'm sympathetic to the Antinatalists, and to those who would like to see this sorry world enveloped in a giant mushroom cloud--even if I'm not quite there myself. Yet for anyone who actually cares about the future survival of the human race, the fact that Donald Trump is now in charge of the nuclear codes, has to be the single most momentous fact of the past 10,000 years. As I said, I agree that people like McCain and Clinton represent a potential danger to world peace, but I just don't see them as rising to the same level of threat as Trump. Time will tell, but unlike either McCain or Clinton, I fear that Trump has zero ability to finesse his way out of a tricky international situation. (Imagine, for example, if Trump had been president during the Cuban Missile Crisis. What are the odds of a happy ending in that scenario?) And who knows? Trump might get so fed up with all this Russian stuff that he'll get us into a nuclear war with North Korea just to get the attention off of himself. I actually think this is somewhat realistic. And unless there is some kind of benevolent Providence watching over us, I think that the chances of something like this happening are greater than they have ever been before.
....but emails.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #1018
Mörkö
Mannikin

Did Trump... just bow to the Saudi king?

Trump mocked Obama for bowing to a Saudi king. And then he … - The Washington Post

He mocked Obama for this and claimed he would not bow either...

Well... I have to admit, this should be humiliating for everyone who voted him into office.

"The world is a false gem that passes each moment from one hand to another." - Saadi Shirazi
4 Thanks From:
James (1 Day Ago), miguel1984 (1 Day Ago), Pan Michael (1 Day Ago), Trau (1 Day Ago)
Old 1 Day Ago   #1019
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 64,958, Level: 100 Points: 64,958, Level: 100 Points: 64,958, Level: 100

Trump's visit to Saudi Arabia will be judged a great success. He's brought billions of dollars to his country and the promise of many future jobs in the Defense Industry. A lot will hinge on his speech tomorrow. Despite my own misgivings about the Saudis, Trump seems to have pulled it off.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Liam Barden (21 Hours Ago)
Old 1 Day Ago   #1020
Mörkö
Mannikin

If you help strengthen the terrorists, while pathetically bowing to them (when you promised not to), then you become no different from the terrorists themselves. Trump is a disgrace and possesses no honor.

Last edited by Mörkö; 1 Day Ago at 08:33 PM..
3 Thanks From:
James (1 Day Ago), miguel1984 (1 Day Ago), Nemonymous (1 Day Ago)