THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Rants & Ravings
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 04-20-2017   #801
James
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 19,206, Level: 95 Points: 19,206, Level: 95 Points: 19,206, Level: 95
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Trump

To the right of Marx. To the left of Trump supporters.

With the sheer idiocy of misplaced priorities in my own country now mirroring the lunacy going on in America, I have given up any hope I once had for the future of politics. Goodbye NHS. Hello one party state.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-20-2017), Nemonymous (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017   #802
Hidden X
Mystic
Points: 2,960, Level: 35 Points: 2,960, Level: 35 Points: 2,960, Level: 35
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Quote Originally Posted by Speaking Mute View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Hidden X View Post
Quote Originally Posted by njhorror View Post
King has injected politics into so many of his books that I stopped reading him years ago. He can't help it. He's a kneejerk liberal spouting the "isn't it obvious?!" politically correct position, and what's worse - it's nothing new, just the same old saw. Whether from the left or the right, I don't have much patience for politics when I read for entertainment.
And this is of course complete and utter BS. Something like The Stand is wholly built around Old Testament Abrahamic conception of God and morality, to a point where it might offend some of his readers.
Saying how King is only able to write from one position, in particular "liberal politically correct one", is far, far removed from truth.
Whereas I personally can't fathom how someone can be both Christian (or Muslim or Jewish) and socially liberal, it's not terribly uncommon. I also never got the sense that The Stand was supposed to be anything other than fiction. Moreover, for a mainstream trade paperback that came out in the late 70's, just having a non-stereotypical lesbian protagonist put the novel slightly ahead on the social curve.

King isn't exactly Cornel West, but he makes it clear in both his fiction and interviews that he's on the left.
One needn't be christian in order to use christian conception of universe as a basis for their own fictional universe. And that's what he did, and he did it pretty convincingly. People will, for example, sympathize with all those outcasts in Las Vegas one way or another, and they are indeed not written to be completely unsympathetic, but in the universe with that basis they have to be on the "other" side and to be defeated and purged in the end.
In a way, intentionally or not, it showed just how terrifying and cruel christian god would really be.
Old 04-20-2017   #803
Speaking Mute
Chymist
Points: 12,195, Level: 76 Points: 12,195, Level: 76 Points: 12,195, Level: 76
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

One needn't be christian in order to use christian conception of universe as a basis for their own fictional universe. And that's what he did, and he did it pretty convincingly. People will, for example, sympathize with all those outcasts in Las Vegas one way or another, and they are indeed not written to be completely unsympathetic, but in the universe with that basis they have to be on the "other" side and to be defeated and purged in the end.
In a way, intentionally or not, it showed just how terrifying and cruel christian god would really be.
3 Thanks From:
Acutely decayed (04-20-2017), James (04-20-2017), miguel1984 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017   #804
durandal
Mannikin
Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Quote Originally Posted by Speaking Mute View Post
King has injected politics into so many of his books that I stopped reading him years ago. He can't help it. He's a kneejerk liberal spouting the "isn't it obvious?!" politically correct position, and what's worse - it's nothing new, just the same old saw. Whether from the left or the right, I don't have much patience for politics when I read for entertainment.
And this is of course complete and utter BS. Something like The Stand is wholly built around Old Testament Abrahamic conception of God and morality, to a point where it might offend some of his readers.
Saying how King is only able to write from one position, in particular "liberal politically correct one", is far, far removed from truth.
Whereas I personally can't fathom how someone can be both Christian (or Muslim or Jewish) and socially liberal, it's not terribly uncommon. I also never got the sense that The Stand was supposed to be anything other than fiction. Moreover, for a mainstream trade paperback that came out in the late 70's, just having a non-stereotypical lesbian protagonist put the novel slightly ahead on the social curve.

King isn't exactly Cornel West, but he makes it clear in both his fiction and interviews that he's on the left.
Daniel Mills is both progressive and a Catholic...
https://muzzlelandpress.com/2016/07/...-daniel-mills/
Other Catholics he knows are also apparently progressive and anti-Trump. He also refused to attack nihilists and antinatalists who make the majority of weird fiction scene in that interview even though interviewer tried to lure him into it with his questions, which is cool.
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-20-2017), Speaking Mute (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017   #805
durandal
Mannikin
Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10 Points: 541, Level: 10
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

He also never wrote anything that I found to be preachy or offensive to non-Christians, but I guess that mileage may vary there... Maybe someone with theological chops can see something in his fiction that I can't.
Old 04-20-2017   #806
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 21,634, Level: 100 Points: 21,634, Level: 100 Points: 21,634, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Quote Originally Posted by durandal View Post
nihilists and antinatalists who make the majority of weird fiction scene
Really? I'd be surprised if they were anything other than a mix of regular atheists, agnostics and slightly religious folks.

Thanks From:
Hidden X (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017   #807
njhorror
Grimscribe
Points: 23,865, Level: 100 Points: 23,865, Level: 100 Points: 23,865, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

This is such bull####. This is utter and COMPLETE bull####.

Have you ever read 11/22/63?

I accept your apology conditionally. The condition is that you don't comment on things that you know nothing about.

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen

“The wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go.” – Oscar Wilde
Old 04-20-2017   #808
Hidden X
Mystic
Points: 2,960, Level: 35 Points: 2,960, Level: 35 Points: 2,960, Level: 35
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

You are first expected to explain how exactly is he "spouting the "isn't it obvious?!" politically correct position" in The Stand? We may actually go thru all of his works that you've read, one by one. You are, of course, expected to point out that blatant preaching in every single one.

Yours is a kneejerk reaction to that text of his, mate.
Old 04-20-2017   #809
njhorror
Grimscribe
Points: 23,865, Level: 100 Points: 23,865, Level: 100 Points: 23,865, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

See, you're not even making an effort. In fact, I liked 11/22/63. I just don't think that I can continue this conversation. Lord knows I tried . . .

Lucian pigeon-holed the letter solemnly in the receptacle lettered 'Barbarians.' ~ The Hill of Dreams by Arthur Machen

“The wallpaper and I are fighting a duel to the death. One or the other of us has to go.” – Oscar Wilde
Old 04-20-2017   #810
James
Grimscribe
Points: 19,206, Level: 95 Points: 19,206, Level: 95 Points: 19,206, Level: 95
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

King's political leanings are discernible from his work, but this is also true of the works of Arthur Machen, M. R. James, Robert Aickman, H. P. Lovecraft, Thomas Ligotti, Franz Kafka, Hanns Heinz Ewers and others. I'm struggling to think of any canonical weird writer whose political leanings weren't clear from their work.

I don't see why it is a problem with King and not these other writers.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
4 Thanks From:
Hidden X (04-20-2017), miguel1984 (04-20-2017), Robert Adam Gilmour (04-20-2017), Ruina (04-20-2017)
Closed Thread