THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences > H. P. Lovecraft
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-07-2014   #131
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 18,395, Level: 93 Points: 18,395, Level: 93 Points: 18,395, Level: 93
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Re: Octavia E. Butler against Lovecraft (World Fantasy Award).

Quote Originally Posted by ramonoski View Post
hearing about how books like Sun and Steel are about his manly man training in martial arts and bodybuilding. But he's a lot more complex and nuanced than that.
I'm sure there is depth but as some were saying earlier, his ideas could be pretty crazy and that probably stops him achieving the sort of truth and greatness he was probably aiming for that literary critics tend to seek. Some will probably love him all the more for his extreme philosophy regardless of whether they agree with it.

Perhaps his ideas about the immortal emperor are more conceptually complex than it seems but all the stuff about militarism and nationalism doesn't seem promising of a great thinker.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014   #132
brendanconnell
Mystic
Points: 8,474, Level: 64 Points: 8,474, Level: 64 Points: 8,474, Level: 64
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

There needs to be more macho writers of weird fiction. Retired police officers and people who write weird stories while sitting around campfires hundreds of miles from civilization.
brendanconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014   #133
Malone
Grimscribe
Points: 33,874, Level: 100 Points: 33,874, Level: 100 Points: 33,874, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

I believe someone earlier was inquiring after English translations of Ernest Hello:

https://archive.org/stream/lifesciec...ge/16/mode/2up
Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014   #134
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 18,395, Level: 93 Points: 18,395, Level: 93 Points: 18,395, Level: 93
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Quote Originally Posted by brendanconnell View Post
There needs to be more macho writers of weird fiction. Retired police officers and people who write weird stories while sitting around campfires hundreds of miles from civilization.
Robert F. Jones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Robert F Jones surely is this type of guy. I've always wanted to read Blood Sport and Diamond Bogo.

Another funny thing I've heard about Hodgson is that he walked on stilts out of windows to surprise people.

Robert E Howard was into that noble savage stuff but I don't know if he could fight, chop wood, dig holes, build things and live in the wilderness like a real man.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014   #135
symbolique
Chymist
Points: 14,437, Level: 82 Points: 14,437, Level: 82 Points: 14,437, Level: 82
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by brendanconnell View Post
Macho macho man... ear worm accidentally inserted.
symbolique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014   #136
ramonoski
Grimscribe
Points: 11,789, Level: 75 Points: 11,789, Level: 75 Points: 11,789, Level: 75
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Well, if we're to take Justin Isis at his word (the underlined sentences being particularly relevant to the current topic):

(Mark) Samuels examined himself in the mirror. A light sheen of sweat had formed on his flesh, highlighting its clearly defined musculature. His natural stoutness had been conditioned through discipline into the bearlike build of a heavyweight boxer. A shaved head completed the impression of clean masculine strength. He was now older than Poe and Lovecraft had been when they died, but in contrast to the sickly Americans, Samuels’s body was what the fanzine Ghorla had termed “a pinnacle of physical achievement.” An Idealist in several senses, he liked to think that the real pinnacle lay ahead of him, some Olympian summit of training ever out of reach. He had never believed in the myth of the “sick men of literature.” Only a man in the prime of his health had the strength to truly gaze into the dark places of the universe. Where the sick men had turned away, curtailing their visions to mere glimpses of cosmic terror, Samuels kept his gaze focused, producing not just sketches but comprehensive maps of the abyss.
ramonoski is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Justin Isis (09-08-2014), mark_samuels (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014   #137
Alarm Agent
Acolyte
Points: 10,674, Level: 71 Points: 10,674, Level: 71 Points: 10,674, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Isis View Post
Wasn't there a Wells book where he wipes out all Muslims worldwide in order to establish Utopia? If I remember right it included airplane (then super science fiction tech) raids on Mecca.
Truly ? Which story ? I really have to read that, though i'm confused now as i am sure I read something like that by...was it Chuck Palahniuk ? So he stole the idea from Wells ? Or did i dream that ?
Not that I advocate such things because i don't believe religions and ideologies can be wiped out that easily. But it's tue that not all Writers are judged in the same way.

Hope is a lack of information.
Alarm Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014   #138
Justin Isis
Chymist
Points: 16,451, Level: 88 Points: 16,451, Level: 88 Points: 16,451, Level: 88
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Markitty is ripped like a beast, I wouldn't take him on. He goes to an ex-convict gym regularly and has a military-style exercise program.

I think I could defeat all horror writers of all time at rhyming and competitive eating. I would destroy Barron and Hodgson particularly with the following:

Taco Bell tacos
Sushi
Raw oysters

Hodgson was in 19th century Navy but I could eat more cheeseburgers than him and also out rhyme him; he only started lifting because everyone was making fun of him.
Justin Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
mark_samuels (09-08-2014)
Old 09-08-2014   #139
brendanconnell
Mystic
Points: 8,474, Level: 64 Points: 8,474, Level: 64 Points: 8,474, Level: 64
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%

I would like to read a weird story by someone who does a lot of white water rafting. Also weird writers who are postal workers. Justin will beat me eating Taco Bell tacos, but I think I would win eating, say, cactus tacos. I can eat more kim-chi than you.
brendanconnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014   #140
Justin Isis
Chymist
Points: 16,451, Level: 88 Points: 16,451, Level: 88 Points: 16,451, Level: 88
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Quote Originally Posted by Alarm Agent View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Justin Isis View Post
Wasn't there a Wells book where he wipes out all Muslims worldwide in order to establish Utopia? If I remember right it included airplane (then super science fiction tech) raids on Mecca.
Truly ? Which story ? I really have to read that, though i'm confused now as i am sure I read something like that by...was it Chuck Palahniuk ? So he stole the idea from Wells ? Or did i dream that ?
Not that I advocate such things because i don't believe religions and ideologies can be wiped out that easily. But it's tue that not all Writers are judged in the same way.
"Nearly a year earlier the One World-State had been declared at Basra. There already it had been asserted plainly that a new order must insist upon its own specific education, and that it could not tolerate any other forms of training for the world-wide lives it contemplated. But to say a thing like that is not to realize its meaning. Things of that sort had been said before, and passed like musical flourishes across the minds of men. The new government did not apprehend the fullness of its own intentions until this unpremeditated act of supreme sacrilege forced decision upon it. But now it had struck down the very head of Catholic Christianity and killed an officiating priest in the midst of his ministrations. It had gripped that vast world organization, the Catholic Church, and told it in effect to be still for evermore. It was now awake to its own purpose. It might have retreated or compromised. It decided to go on.

Ten days later air guards descended upon Mecca and closed the chief holy places. A number of religious observances were suppressed in India, and the slaughter-houses in which kosher food was prepared in an antiquated and unpleasant manner for orthodox Jews were closed throughout the world. An Act of Uniformity came into operation everywhere. There was now to be one faith only in the world, the moral expression of the one world community."

-H.G. Wells, The Shape of Things to Come
Justin Isis is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Alarm Agent (09-08-2014), mark_samuels (09-08-2014)