THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Ligotti Influences > General Discussion
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-17-2015   #1
Calenture
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 14,677, Level: 83 Points: 14,677, Level: 83 Points: 14,677, Level: 83
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Activity: 67% Activity: 67% Activity: 67%
An Aickman Survival

Lovers of Robert Aickman (there might be one or two here) will have to bear with me until I get to the 'Survival' bit of this document. Anyway, possibly there might be someone here who'll find this amusing.

Despite Yahoo! closing its free Geocities sites in 2009 (resulting in the demise of one of my early sites) it seems Mr Aickman's enigmatic spirit refused to be so easily quelled.

This morning I was indulging one of my How Does This Stuff Work moods, a sort of fugue that usually ends up with me downloading something sinister to my laptop. This time, I learned of a slightly obscure search engine named Blippex at this site 13 alternative search-engines you should be using.

Apparently, Blippex differs from Google in the way it searches: Google searches out the pages most people go to, but Blippex bases its search on the amount of time they (you?) have spent reading them.

Blippex is now an abandoned project, I understand; its source code is now in the public domain. But you can still add it to your Google Chrome browser here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...lnjlnp/related (I hope these links work; that one should go to a dialogue box in Google's webstore.)

After you add Blippex, it seems to filter Google's results, bringing you (hopefully) a more personal result. My search eventually brought me to this positively antediluvian web page: Powers of Darkness by Robert Aickman .... which of course should not exist.

If you click most of the links on that page, you only get this page, which tells you Geocities closed in 2009.

But clearly Robert Aickman had one or two mysteries left and was more than a match for Yahoo!

As a final thought, I think the only review on that ghostly survival of a page that I still like, is the one I wrote for The Visiting Star, which Des Lewis criticized (well he would) thus prompting me to expand it. I think it's almost decent now.
Calenture is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (10-17-2015), xylokopos (10-17-2015)
Old 10-17-2015   #2
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Re: An Aickman Survival

Quote Originally Posted by Calenture View Post
My search eventually brought me to this positively antediluvian web page: Powers of Darkness by Robert Aickman .... which of course should not exist.

[...]

As a final thought, I think the only review on that ghostly survival of a page that I still like, is the one I wrote for The Visiting Star, which Des Lewis criticized (well he would) thus prompting me to expand it. I think it's almost decent now.
Thanks, Rog.
I can't remember seeing that before! Fascinating.
Des Lewis, bumptious as usual.
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote