THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Film > Contemporary Horror
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 08-13-2014   #1
SpookyDread
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 13,545, Level: 80 Points: 13,545, Level: 80 Points: 13,545, Level: 80
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
New S.Korean drama melds Machen'esque horror and shamanism

Ok, I have some misgivings about where the direction of this show has been headed, compared to past highly acclaimed shows like The Moon That Embraces The Sun that knew how to toe the line between transgressive and subversive religious themes as well as cultural accuracy without ever veering into fantasy territory at all. This new show is breaking from that maybe a little bit for some more explosive stylization . However, make no mistake that the age old traditions are still there, on full display, with profuse humility and intellectual honesty.. that said.. I think what this show has proven itself able to do is push the transgressive envelop about the darker side of shamanism that is still there , and consider this scene with an evil purple flower bearing strange alchemical gifts. Watch the show for more of an idea of how that plot point developed but in any case.. I don't think there is any other media.. film or print.. at least that I am aware of with this contemporary style veering this close to an author like Arthur Machen.

If you any interest in the future of horror, it is S.Korea . That's really where it is happening imho . There are other interesting developments elsewhere in the far east as well like Thai films about Mae Nak but compared to S.Korean film are rather conservative .

Not to be missed.
SpookyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (08-13-2014), marioneta (08-16-2014)