THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Film
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #471
Speaking Mute
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 12,184, Level: 76 Points: 12,184, Level: 76 Points: 12,184, Level: 76
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
Re: Movie Recommendations

Dune is my favorite Lynch film so far (although I've yet to see Eraserhead, among others - watching the films I'd like to is tricky in my household). The first twenty or thirty minutes contains some of my favorite movie scenes, period; in particular, the first meeting with the guild navigator and then the folding space sequence (which I'm guessing is almost everyone's favorite scene):

Jodorowsky's version never interested me - he just isn't capable of the tension that Lynch managed to build up in the first part of the film, and he would have stumbled at least as bad as Lynch when the plot transitioned from intrigue to action.
Speaking Mute is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
Gnosticangel (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Patrick G.P (3 Weeks Ago), Robert Adam Gilmour (3 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #472
James
Grimscribe
Points: 18,932, Level: 95 Points: 18,932, Level: 95 Points: 18,932, Level: 95
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

It's an amazing movie. I didn't mind it wasn't faithful to the book. It's not like most Dracula or Frankenstein movies are, but they seem to get away with it.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
― Robert Aickman, An Essay
James is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
luciferfell (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Patrick G.P (3 Weeks Ago), Speaking Mute (3 Weeks Ago), Spiral (2 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (2 Weeks Ago), Zaharoff (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #474
Patrick G.P
Acolyte
Points: 1,211, Level: 20 Points: 1,211, Level: 20 Points: 1,211, Level: 20
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Recently watched Venus in Furs by Roman Polanski, based on the play of the same name by David Ives. Great mix of drama and comedy about a writer-director Thomas (Mathieu Amalric) who has done a play based on the 1870 novel Venus in Furs, as he is about to cast the role of Venus, Vanda (Emmanuelle Seigner) shows up to late and eventually manages to do a reading with him. At first, she seems to be a complete airhead, but as she starts to read her lines, an entierly different side of her emerges.

The entire movie takes place in a closed theatre with only our two protagonists in front of the camera. The chemistry between the two actors is excellent and it takes the skill of someone like Polanski to pull off something so dramatic and humorous with only one setting and two actors and minimal of effects. As the plot unfolds the two trade gender roles back and forth, and it is never clear whether the male or the female is the dominant one here. It was not as good as Polanskiís Carnage, also based on a play, but it was definitively worth a watch.

"For he who passes the gateways always wins a shadow, and never again can he be alone."
- H.P. Lovecraft

My Goodreads Profile
Patrick G.P is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
bendk (1 Week Ago), miguel1984 (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #475
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 10,326, Level: 70 Points: 10,326, Level: 70 Points: 10,326, Level: 70
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

I just saw Bladerunner 2049. I thought it was fantastic.

Now go see it.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
bendk (1 Week Ago), miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), Patrick G.P (1 Week Ago), schlieu (1 Week Ago), waffles (1 Week Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #476
Ibrahim
Chymist
Points: 4,264, Level: 44 Points: 4,264, Level: 44 Points: 4,264, Level: 44
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Veech View Post

Now go see it.
I don't often go to see films, but i couldn't let this one pass, i was too curious.
I was impressed at how minimalist it was; staged and shot in such a way that it's almost biblically stark. Using simple dialogue cues as jump scares was also a nice touch.
Did you think, mr. Veech, that there was still some PKD in there?
PKD's fiction is relentlessly anthropocentric in its concerns; funny how a movie ( basically a technological endeavour ) will tend to treat humans as metaphor for technology.
Much in the way that, to sit & drive a car one needs to position the body in a basically unnatural manner, to appreciate a lot of modern SF one is asked from the outset to bend to the constraints of technology, to accept certain dogmas. Compromise seems to be the starting position, philosophically, of SF.

"What can a thing do with a thing, when it is a thing?"
-Shaykh Ibn Al 'Arabi
Ibrahim is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), Mr. Veech (1 Week Ago), ToALonelyPeace (5 Days Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #477
James
Grimscribe

Last night I watched a horror film called Pontypool. Strongly recommended.

'I believe in what the Germans term Ehrfurcht: reverence for things one cannot understand.'
6 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), Mr. Veech (1 Week Ago), Patrick G.P (1 Week Ago), schlieu (1 Week Ago), Spiral (5 Days Ago), ToALonelyPeace (5 Days Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #478
Mr. Veech
Grimscribe
Points: 10,326, Level: 70 Points: 10,326, Level: 70 Points: 10,326, Level: 70
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Veech View Post

Now go see it.
I don't often go to see films, but i couldn't let this one pass, i was too curious.
I was impressed at how minimalist it was; staged and shot in such a way that it's almost biblically stark. Using simple dialogue cues as jump scares was also a nice touch.
Did you think, mr. Veech, that there was still some PKD in there?
PKD's fiction is relentlessly anthropocentric in its concerns; funny how a movie ( basically a technological endeavour ) will tend to treat humans as metaphor for technology.
Much in the way that, to sit & drive a car one needs to position the body in a basically unnatural manner, to appreciate a lot of modern SF one is asked from the outset to bend to the constraints of technology, to accept certain dogmas. Compromise seems to be the starting position, philosophically, of SF.
Honestly, I haven't read enough PKD to make a genuine assessment. I'm glad you appreciated the film. It was most definitely a worthy successor to the original. The second to last ("water") scene was so powerful that I actually shed a tear. Me, a proud cynic, shed a tear!

It's really not your typical Hollywood movie. It's a multi-million dollar art film.

"In a less scientific age, he would have been a devil-worshipper, a partaker in the abominations of the Black Mass; or would have given himself to the study and practice of sorcery. His was a religious soul that had failed to find good in the scheme of things; and lacking it, was impelled to make of evil itself an object of secret reverence."

~ Clark Ashton Smith, "The Devotee of Evil"

Last edited by Mr. Veech; 1 Week Ago at 08:31 PM..
Mr. Veech is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Druidic (3 Days Ago), miguel1984 (1 Week Ago), Patrick G.P (1 Week Ago), ToALonelyPeace (5 Days Ago)
Old 1 Week Ago   #479
Patrick G.P
Acolyte
Points: 1,211, Level: 20 Points: 1,211, Level: 20 Points: 1,211, Level: 20
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
Last night I watched a horror film called Pontypool. Strongly recommended.
Yes! Pontypool is an excellent low key horror film, an underrated gem, so glad to see there are more fans of this film.

"For he who passes the gateways always wins a shadow, and never again can he be alone."
- H.P. Lovecraft

My Goodreads Profile
Patrick G.P is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
Druidic (3 Days Ago), miguel1984 (4 Days Ago), Spiral (5 Days Ago), ToALonelyPeace (5 Days Ago)
Old 5 Days Ago   #480
James
Grimscribe

I just caught the 2000s remake pf The Hills Have Eyes, which I expected to be abysmal because I didn't even like the original much, but it was surprisingly good for a mainstream horror film. Not a strong recommendation, but worth watching if you're bored and see it on TV or Netflix or whatever.

3 Thanks From:
miguel1984 (4 Days Ago), ToALonelyPeace (5 Days Ago), Zaharoff (5 Days Ago)