THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Musicians > Coil
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
View Poll Results: What is your favorite Coil album?
Scatology 2 6.45%
Horse Rotorvator 7 22.58%
Love's Secret Domain 4 12.90%
Stolen and Contaminated Songs 0 0%
Astral Disaster 2 6.45%
Musick to Play in the Dark 9 29.03%
Black Antlers 1 3.23%
The Ape of Naples 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-12-2006   #11
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 1
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Favorite Coil Album

Quote Originally Posted by beakripped";p=&quot View Post
The original version of Sea Priestess is vastly superior to the re-recorded one. For those interested it's easy to locate on Soul Seek.
Any other methods of attaining said gem? Say, posted online, via some downloading service, etc.? Because in regards to Soul Seek, I am clueless.

No Scatology or Horse Rotorvator people here/hear?

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #12
the_havoc_man
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 5,633, Level: 51 Points: 5,633, Level: 51 Points: 5,633, Level: 51
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

My favorite Coil album is Love's Secret Domain. It was the very first Coil disc that I ever heard 14 years ago. Such great moments like "Windowpane," "Love's Secret Domain," then there is the more ambient moments like "Dark River" and the chaos of "Teenage Lightning."
My next votes would go to Musick to Play In the Dark Vols. 1 and 2. "Are you Shivering?" is one of my favorite Coil songs ever..."Are you loathsome tonight?";)
Then would be Horse Rotorvator.
the_havoc_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #13
Ilsa
Mystic
Points: 9,307, Level: 66 Points: 9,307, Level: 66 Points: 9,307, Level: 66
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Send a message via Skype™ to Ilsa

It's hard to say which one is my favourite, I was undecided between "Scatology" and "Musick to play in the dark", but I chose the first one since noone did before..."Are you shivering?" is a great song..and what about "Broccoli"! Love it!

Love Love Love
Rise! Rise! Rise!
Ilsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #14
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100 Points: 61,944, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Send a message via MSN to MadsPLP

I voted for The Ape of Naples, but it could've almost just as easily been Musick...Vol 1, which I consider a bit better than Vol. 2, in spite of "Batwings (A Limnal Hymn)" from the latter.

I, unfortunately, only own the reissue of Astral Disaster, but have heard that the original 90-or-so-copies edition shoul be superior, with a much rougher sound to it.

While I love the earlier works, I think their main problem is the sound, which - especially on LSD and Scatology - sounds a bit dated. You can hear, when they were made, which you can't do with Musick...1+2, Ape.., Black Light District, Astral Disaster, etc.
Of the live albums, I prefer vol. 4.
MadsPLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #15
paeng
Grimscribe
Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100 Points: 50,804, Level: 100
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Send a message via ICQ to paeng Send a message via AIM to paeng Send a message via MSN to paeng Send a message via Yahoo to paeng

We listened to groups like Talking Heads, The Cure, Lords of the New Church, etc., but I can't remember Coil. Thanks for mentioning this. I had to search online and found a Wiki entry, official sites, and some videos, like

paeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #16
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100 Points: 123,424, Level: 100
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
Send a message via Skype™ to Cyril Tourneur

I've voted for 'Musick to play in the Dark Vol. 1', Coils greatest album and the one (along with Worship The Glitch) that got me in to them!

Are You Shivering?: Starts with an almost liquid guitar melody that is purely unsettling. After about a minute it shifts and strange glitches, snippets of moaning and water dripping takes over before the guitar washes over us again, and Balance sings/speaks the lyrics, finally declaring "This is Moon Music". Perfect start!

Red Birds Will Fly Out Of The East And Destroy Paris In A Night: The entire song is basically made up of sequencer beats and glitches. It starts with some creepy low-end sounds yet quickly introduces the main sequence for the song and then it's up-tempo from there! More and more sound is introduced and the song becomes progressively more chaotic and noisy as it nears it's end (and being almost 13 minutes long makes it quite a journey). It's probably the only song on the album to be called "danceable" yet it still fits in with the others, keeping the late-night feel of the other songs.

Red Queen: The first two minutes of the song is occupied by what sounds like processed feedback (same feedback can be heard on Batwings from Vol 2) and some very creepy vocals :s At the two minute mark it changes into a repetitive, piano driven and jazzy ambiance which turns out to be very hypnotic. After a while some of the creepy vocals float in again, and the song becomes more nightmarish, leading into the next song.

Broccoli: Well, that might be the deepest bass I've ever heard in a song... accompanied by the warm crackling of an old LP and what sounds like a distant trumpet. Soon a very eerie voice (or that's what it sounds like) begins singing and Sleazy sings what almost sounds like a nursery rhyme. Balance appears reciting "Wise words from the departing" and echoes some of what Sleazy is singing. After a while a piano enters playing the same melody as Sleazy.

Strange Birds: The crackles and glitches form a beat almost immediately and make way for... more crackles and glitches! Some strange synth-sounds almost make up a melody/bass line yet are lost when it all suddenly clears up to reveal: Birds! All in all this song is very, very weird and is probably the most ambient and the least conventional song on the album (seeing as it has no discernible melody). Balance's vocals sound as if he's being recorded over the telephone.

The Dreamer Is Still Asleep: Probably the most memorable song from the album, it's driven by a one-tone bass line, a simple drum-beat, an eerie keyboard melody and, let's not forget, Balance's intense singing. Balance is the true focal point in this song, as he recites surreal lyrics, and it sounds as if his singing is played in two tracks: One regular and one heavily modified and reversed track on top of it. The song is very serene and the perfect ending for the album.

Musick To Play In The Dark Vol.1 is without a doubt my favorite Coil album and possibly one favorite albums of all time!

(Dictated while taking a stroll) I have come to realizewhat a superbly contrived marionette man is. Though without strings attached, one can strut, jump, hop and, moreover, utter words, an elaborately made puppet! Who knows? At the Bon season next year, I may be a new dead invited to the Bon festival. What an evanescent world! This truth keeps slipping off our minds.

- Tsunetomo Yamamoto, The Hagakure
Cyril Tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #17
beakripped
Mystic
Points: 11,737, Level: 74 Points: 11,737, Level: 74 Points: 11,737, Level: 74
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

In case anyone's interested, both versions of Astral Disaster will be reissued together, but this will not happen until later next year. Meanwhile the reissues of Time Machines and Moon's Milk... w/ bonus material are still in the works. And finally, Peter has said that more vinyl reissues will come out through Important Records in the future.

One last note which I may have mentioned elsewhere: Apparently there will be an Unnatural History 4! Essentially, everything released exclusively on compilations or as limited singles since UH 3 will be on it. I saw the potential track list which leads me to believe it will be a 2CD package.

Meanwhile I'm listening to The New Backwards... a lot. Any enthusiasts who haven't checked it out yet should do so. I rank it higher than Ape or anything else that came out in the years shortly before Jhonn's death.

Paul.
beakripped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #18
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 1
Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100 Points: 50,529, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by beakripped View Post
In case anyone's interested, both versions of Astral Disaster will be reissued together, but this will not happen until later next year. Meanwhile the reissues of Time Machines and Moon's Milk... w/ bonus material are still in the works. And finally, Peter has said that more vinyl reissues will come out through Important Records in the future.

One last note which I may have mentioned elsewhere: Apparently there will be an Unnatural History 4! Essentially, everything released exclusively on compilations or as limited singles since UH 3 will be on it. I saw the potential track list which leads me to believe it will be a 2CD package.

Meanwhile I'm listening to The New Backwards... a lot. Any enthusiasts who haven't checked it out yet should do so. I rank it higher than Ape or anything else that came out in the years shortly before Jhonn's death.

Paul.
I actually mentioned the idea of putting the two editions of Astral Disaster in a dual package to Peter in an e-mail about a year ago. Whether this suggestion precipitated this or that the idea had long been there I do not know, but I am nonetheless happy.

The vinyl reissues and new Unnatural History release are very exciting to me.

I long lust after a copy of The New Backwards, but I am somewhat strapped for cash at the moment. I have heard bits and pieces of it, and what I've heard is quite nice.

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #19
Laurent Barabba
Mannikin
Points: 4,688, Level: 46 Points: 4,688, Level: 46 Points: 4,688, Level: 46
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%

I've voted for Astral Disaster because...it's my favorite album on the list above.
However, I would be more specific on my favorites songs: The Auto-Asphyxiating Hierophant and Copal (on moon's milk (in four phases)), and finally Queens of the Circulating Library.
Speaking about Copal, here is a splendid video about The Fool tarot card inspired by this song:
Laurent Barabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #20
Masonwire
Chymist
Points: 15,898, Level: 86 Points: 15,898, Level: 86 Points: 15,898, Level: 86
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent Barabba View Post
I've voted for Astral Disaster because...it's my favorite album on the list above.
However, I would be more specific on my favorites songs: The Auto-Asphyxiating Hierophant and Copal (on moon's milk (in four phases)),
Copal is great but it was only on the bonus disc.
Masonwire is offline   Reply With Quote