THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Story Forum > SONGS OF A DEAD DREAMER
Home Forums Content Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 10-17-2015   #1
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
Notes on the Writing of Horror: A Story

NOTES ON THE WRITING OF HORROR: A STORY

"...as awkward and stupid as a rosy-cheeked farm lad in a den of reeking degenerates. (Amend this, possibly, to rosy-cheeked degenerate ... reeking farm lads.)"

Now, you need to transcend the irony of this amusing style-experimental story about itself as well as other styles like gothic and realistic. (I had written the previous review above about story styles before re-reading this story, one that I consciously recalled nothing about until finishing it just a few minutes ago).

Yes, you need to transcend the irony of this wrapped-around tale of a young man called Nathan wooing a young lady called Laura, his trousers putrefying his legs... and other themes and variations upon that original scenario and upon those character names. In fact the imputed author of this story in the form of an essay also has various names like H. J. Wicker and Dr. Riggers (please see my earlier thoughts on the word 'ligotti' being a synonym for 'knots' HERE). So, why do you need to transcend the irony of this story, a story that itself contains such chatty questions to the reader as this chatty question I am currently asking YOU? Because it's a cover for this concocted narrator grooming you the reader towards some later cause, softly, softly, catch the monkey ("In brief, Nathan should never have been born..."), just as the leasehold narrator of many of these stories so far has groomed others, even abused them.

It has to be said, meanwhile, that this is all done very entertainingly, and I have no hesitation in recommending this work to your attention for that reason, as long as you keep your guard against it. No irony on my part intended.

"Go away, Dr. Dream."

(An extract from my on-going review of the new Penguin Classics collection.)
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
dr. locrian (10-17-2015), Fenris Technique (12-10-2015), miguel1984 (10-17-2015)
Old 12-08-2015   #2
ToALonelyPeace
Grimscribe
Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100 Points: 71,635, Level: 100
Re: Notes on the Writing of Horror: A Story

I remember being struck by the last line and become so impressed with the story I read it again.

"I had never tried this before.

But when the time came, I found it all so easy."

"Tell me how you want to die, and I'll tell you who you are. In other words, how do you fill out an empty life? With women, books, or worldly ambitions? No matter what you do, the starting point is boredom, and the end self-destruction. The emblem of our fate: the sky teeming with worms. Baudelaire taught me that life is the ecstasy of worms in the sun, and happiness the dance of worms."
---Tears and Saints, E. M. Cioran
ToALonelyPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
dr. locrian (12-09-2015), miguel1984 (12-09-2015), Nemonymous (12-09-2015)
Old 04-14-2016   #3
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100 Points: 274,565, Level: 100
Re: Notes on the Writing of Horror: A Story

Quote Originally Posted by Nemonymous View Post
NOTES ON THE WRITING OF HORROR: A STORY

"...as awkward and stupid as a rosy-cheeked farm lad in a den of reeking degenerates. (Amend this, possibly, to rosy-cheeked degenerate ... reeking farm lads.)"

Now, you need to transcend the irony of this amusing style-experimental story about itself as well as other styles like gothic and realistic. (I had written the previous review above about story styles before re-reading this story, one that I consciously recalled nothing about until finishing it just a few minutes ago).

Yes, you need to transcend the irony of this wrapped-around tale of a young man called Nathan wooing a young lady called Laura, his trousers putrefying his legs... and other themes and variations upon that original scenario and upon those character names. In fact the imputed author of this story in the form of an essay also has various names like H. J. Wicker and Dr. Riggers (please see my earlier thoughts on the word 'ligotti' being a synonym for 'knots' HERE). So, why do you need to transcend the irony of this story, a story that itself contains such chatty questions to the reader as this chatty question I am currently asking YOU? Because it's a cover for this concocted narrator grooming you the reader towards some later cause, softly, softly, catch the monkey ("In brief, Nathan should never have been born..."), just as the leasehold narrator of many of these stories so far has groomed others, even abused them.

It has to be said, meanwhile, that this is all done very entertainingly, and I have no hesitation in recommending this work to your attention for that reason, as long as you keep your guard against it. No irony on my part intended.

"Go away, Dr. Dream."

(An extract from my on-going review of the new Penguin Classics collection.)
Rationale: http://www.ligotti.net/showthread.ph...007#post123007
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (04-14-2016)