THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-13-2005   #11
bendk
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Quotes: 1
Points: 188,529, Level: 100 Points: 188,529, Level: 100 Points: 188,529, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
Re: Punch and Judy

ElHI,
What a coincidence that you should reopen this thread. In my initial post I stated that I could not recall if TL ever mentioned Punch and Judy. Just today, I was rereading "Eye of the Lynx" (prompted by eldritchoo's interesting posts) and there it was:

"And there was much to see along the way - a Punch and Judy panorama which was staged between the chasmical folds of a playhouse curtain of rich inky red, and getting redder every passing second. Each scene flipped by like a page in a storybook: that frozen stage where the players are stiffened with immortality and around which the only thing that stirs is the reader's roving eye."
Thomas Ligotti - "Eye of the Lynx"

It is no great surprise that TL has mentioned the play, of course, given his interest in puppets, but it is nice to finally know that he has referenced it in one of his stories.

I have been tempted a couple of times to purchase THE NIGHT WIND HOWLS by Frederick Cowles - what a great cover the Ash-Tree Press edition has! - but I have never seen it for less than $75, and lately, for not less than $100. With all the great books coming out this Fall, I'll be lucky if I don't go broke.
bendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005   #12
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 139,800, Level: 100 Points: 139,800, Level: 100 Points: 139,800, Level: 100
Activity: 50% Activity: 50% Activity: 50%
An opera entitled PUNCH & JUDY by Sir Harrison Birtwhistle was broadcast on UK tv about 20 years go.

For what it's worth, I think a lot of my own stuff is based on a punch & judy rough and tumble and t. winter-damon's wonderful illustrations to 'Best of DF Lewis' (1993) are somehow in this tradition (far better than the stories they illustrate!)

des

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #13
bendk
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 188,529, Level: 100 Points: 188,529, Level: 100 Points: 188,529, Level: 100

The graphic novel The Tragical Comedy of Mr. Punch by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean was adapted for the stage earlier this year. Unfortunately, I came across this advertisment after the play's run had ended. I think it is still worth a look.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8A7Zf1A9WOw
Old 10-01-2008   #14
bendk
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

I recently read "The Story of a Disappearance and an Appearance" by M.R. James, and it has a wonderful nightmarish Punch and Judy sequence in it. I really like the story, and I think it would appeal to fans of Ligotti. It is available on the internet in a few different formats. I read it in the new Penguin Classics book: The Haunted Doll's House and Other Ghost Stories: The Complete Ghost Stories of M.R. James, Volume 2 edited by S.T. Joshi. Lucky for me, my library had a copy.
Old 10-01-2008   #15
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Points: 43,546, Level: 100 Points: 43,546, Level: 100 Points: 43,546, Level: 100
Send a message via MSN to MadsPLP

Quote Originally Posted by bendk View Post

I have been tempted a couple of times to purchase THE NIGHT WIND HOWLS by Frederick Cowles - what a great cover the Ash-Tree Press edition has! - but I have never seen it for less than $75, and lately, for not less than $100. With all the great books coming out this Fall, I'll be lucky if I don't go broke.
And now it's 200$...

I had completely forgotten about that M.R. James story. Will try to reread it sometime this fall.

On the subject of Punch & Judy, Russell Hoban's great post-apocalyptic novel (by "great" I don't mean "long", but "great" as in "of immense quality") Riddley Walker should be of interest.

In a post-apocalyptic England, the remaining persons have, several generations after some apocalyptic disaster, sunk into medieval darkness, and made a religion of the Eusa show, which partly consists of various elements of Punch & Judy shows.

Riddley_Walker Riddley_Walker

As for Stenbock's essay "The Myth of Punch", it was released as a now ridiculously expensive chapbook on Durtro Press. The Collected Stenbock should come out later this year (which, in Durtro-time probably means late 2010). However, "The Myth of Punch" was reprinted in The Strange Attractor Journal vol. 1 (I believe it was Vol. 2 which Mark Samuels had a story in, right? (now reprinted in Glyphotec)).
It's sadly sold out, but there are some samples of other texts from that issue available here:
http://www.strangeattractor.co.uk/saj1contents.html
Including one on the Cargo Cult, towards which VivaJune could turn his attention, should TCATHR eventually be published.

Strange Attractor is quite an interesting journal.
www.strangeattractor.co.uk
MadsPLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (10-01-2008)
Old 10-01-2008   #16
Derteufel
Mannikin
Points: 6,928, Level: 57 Points: 6,928, Level: 57 Points: 6,928, Level: 57
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

As a big fan of the Commedia dell'Arte, anything to do with Punch and Judy intrigues me to no end. I have a palm-sized reprint of The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Punch and Judy--first published in 1828, I believe. The illustrations by George Cruikshank are particularly beguiling.
Derteufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #17
bendk
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

I read Riddley Walker many years ago. I think Anthony Burgess recommended it on his Best 99 Novels list. It was an interesting read. It took a while to get used to the unique style, but after that it was smooth sailing.

I was also able to pick a copy of Strange Attractor #1. I bought it solely for the Stenbock "Myth of Punch" essay, but there are some other fine articles. I remember a few: Drinking in London with Patrick Hamilton and Derek Raymond, Schizophrenia in 1950s American Suburbia, and one on the Cthulhu Mythos. There were some other good ones, I'm sure, but I can't remember them offhand. The only beef I have is with the cover art. It stinks. It looks like every sociology book that I never wanted to read. I missed the issue with the Mark Samuels story, but I do have Glyphotech.
Old 10-02-2008   #18
MadsPLP
Grimscribe
Points: 43,546, Level: 100 Points: 43,546, Level: 100 Points: 43,546, Level: 100
Send a message via MSN to MadsPLP

I had the same experience, buying it solely for Stenbock, but ending up reading most of the magazine. I really should catch up on the other two issues (in spite of owning Glyphotec).
MadsPLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #19
Daisy
Grimscribe
Points: 48,331, Level: 100 Points: 48,331, Level: 100 Points: 48,331, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote Originally Posted by Derteufel View Post
As a big fan of the Commedia dell'Arte, anything to do with Punch and Judy intrigues me to no end. I have a palm-sized reprint of The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Punch and Judy--first published in 1828, I believe. The illustrations by George Cruikshank are particularly beguiling.
The 1828 first edition of John Payne Collier’s Punch and Judy is one of the books I’d love to acquire for my personal collection – it’s a treasure. At this time, there are two copies available on Abebooks, but they’re enormously expensive. If you’d like to take a look at the listings, Derteufel, I’ve attached the links below. Alas, my reprint copy will have to suffice!

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Book...6x%3D0%26y%3D0

and

Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (10-02-2008)
Old 10-06-2008   #20
Derteufel
Mannikin
Points: 6,928, Level: 57 Points: 6,928, Level: 57 Points: 6,928, Level: 57
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Derteufel View Post
The 1828 first edition of John Payne Collier’s Punch and Judy is one of the books I’d love to acquire for my personal collection – it’s a treasure. At this time, there are two copies available on Abebooks, but they’re enormously expensive. If you’d like to take a look at the listings, Derteufel, I’ve attached the links below. Alas, my reprint copy will have to suffice!

and

Thanks for the links, Daisy. Unfortunately, those particular volumes are currently beyond my means. It's fun to dream, though.
Derteufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Daisy (10-17-2008)