THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > News > Other News
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-14-2017   #31
Gnosticangel
Chymist
Threadstarter
Quotes: 0
Points: 10,090, Level: 69 Points: 10,090, Level: 69 Points: 10,090, Level: 69
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
Re: Forthcoming Books: Arthur Machen

Was happy to see that Centipede posted notice of their forthcoming book, "Library of Weird Fiction: Arthur Machen," online.

Centipede's books are always high quality productions and this one should be worth having despite all the great Tartarus editions of Machen printed in recent years. May not be sold out yet.

Here's a link to their landing page, doesn't seem to have a current desciption up yet.

Centipede Press

Last edited by Gnosticangel; 12-14-2017 at 06:37 PM..
Gnosticangel is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Jeff Matthews (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (12-15-2017), Zaharoff (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #32
gveranon
Grimscribe
Points: 28,121, Level: 100 Points: 28,121, Level: 100 Points: 28,121, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
Re: Forthcoming Books

Infinite Resignation, by Eugene Thacker (July, 2018)

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...9781912248193/

From the book description:

Comprised of aphorisms, fragments, and observations both philosophical and personal, Thacker’s new book traces the contours of pessimism, caught as it often is between a philosophical position and a bad attitude. Reflecting on the universe’s “looming abyss of indifference,” Thacker explores the pessimism of a range of philosophers, from the well-known (Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Camus), to the lesser-known (E.M. Cioran, Lev Shestov, Miguel de Unamuno). Readers will find food for thought in Thacker’s handling of a range of themes in Christianity and Buddhism, as well as his engagement with literary figures (from Dostoevsky to Thomas Bernhard, Osamu Dazai, and Fernando Pessoa), whose pessimism about the world both inspires and depresses Thacker. By turns melancholic, misanthropic, and darkly funny, (“Birth is a metaphysical injury — healing takes time — the span of one’s life”), many will find Infinite Resignation a welcome antidote to the exuberant imbecility of our times.
gveranon is offline   Reply With Quote
11 Thanks From:
bendk (3 Weeks Ago), Bleak&Icy (2 Weeks Ago), Coa (3 Weeks Ago), Gnosticangel (3 Weeks Ago), Jeff Coleman (3 Weeks Ago), Jeff Matthews (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), Patrick G.P (3 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (3 Weeks Ago), waffles (3 Weeks Ago), xylokopos (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #33
Coa
Mystic
Points: 4,502, Level: 45 Points: 4,502, Level: 45 Points: 4,502, Level: 45
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

18:

30 Jan:
Wreckers of Civilisation, Simon Ford - Back in Print!
"These people are the wreckers of civilisation", exclaimed the Conservative Member of Parliament Nicholas Fairbairn in 1976.His outburst was meant to describe four artists and musicians: Genesis P-Orridge, Cosey Fanni Tutti, Peter Christopherson and Chris Carter-members of the seminal band Throbbing Gristle. Throbbing Gristle are widely lauded as the band thatinvented industrial music, and their influence can be observed across today's musical landscape: from house and techno toindustrial death metal. Wherever experimental electronic music is being made, Throbbing Gristle's influence can be felt.

25 Jan:
Georges Bataille,
The Sacred Conspiracy : The Internal Papers of the Secret Society of Acephale and Lecturers to the College of Sociology

26 Apr:
Leonid Andreyev, The Abyss and Other Stories
Haunting, disquieting, shocking, ‘The Abyss’ – one of the most powerful short stories ever written – is accompanied in this volume by fifteen other stories by Andreyev, including ‘Silence’, ‘The Thief’ and ‘Lazarus’, some of them never translated before into English. Together, they provide a clear account of the lasting legacy of Russia’s foremost man of letters of the early twentieth century.
The Abyss and Other Stories - Alma Books

05 Jun:
The William H. Gass Reader
A literary delight--a reading feast; a Gassian celebration--the best of the best: more than fifty selections chosen by Gass himself from his essays, criticism, commentary, short stories, and novels. It begins with his essays, in which Gass looks back at varying points in his writing life at those writers (from Plato, Hobbes, and James, to Joyce, Beckett, Stein, and Gaddis) whose work he found inspiring . . . and at those whose work he explores and embraces (Laurence Sterne's Tristram Shandy; Ford Madox Ford's Parade's End; Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain; Stendhal's The Red and the Black). He writes (from A Temple of Texts) on the nature and value of writing ("The true alchemists do not change lead into gold; they change the world into words"). Here is a rich experience of Gass's short fiction: from Eyes, his masterfully crafted novella, "In Camera," about collecting, hording; about suspicions run amok . . . from Cartesian Sonata . . . and In the Heart of the Heart of the Country (1968), a mythical reimagining of America's heartland. And from his nimble, daredevil novels: Middle C (2013), the chronicle of an Austrian-born man who, as a child with his mother, relocates to America's Midwest (Woodbine, Ohio), grows up a low-skilled amateur piano player to become a music professor at a small Bible college; his only hobby a fantasy life as the curator of his Inhumanity Museum . . . and from The Tunnel.
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/b...-william-gass/

21 Aug:
Paul Valery, The Idea of Perfection : The Poetry and Prose of Paul Valery; Bilingual Edition
A fresh look into the monumental work of Paul Valery Heir to Mallarme and the symbolists, godfather to the modernists, Paul Valery was a poet with thousands of readers and few followers, great resonance and little echo. Along with Rilke and Eliot, he stands as a bridge between the tradition of the nineteenth century and the novelty of the twentieth. His reputation as a poet rests on three slim volumes published in a span of only ten years. Yet these poems, it turns out, are inseparable from another, much vaster intellectual and artistic enterprise: the Notebooks. Behind the published works, behind the uneventful life of the almost forgotten and then exceedingly famous poet, there hides another story, a private life of the mind, that has its record in 27,000 pages of notebooks revealed in their entirety only after his death.
The Idea of Perfection: The Poetry and Prose of Paul Valery; Bilingual Edition - Paul Valery - bcker(9780374298487) | Adlibris Bokhandel

23 Aug:
Mark Stevens, (new biography of) Francis Bacon
Pulitzer Prize winning authors, Mark Stevens and Annalyn Swan, deliver an expertly written and fascinating biography of one of the most extraordinary artists of the twentieth century. Born in Ireland in 1909, Francis Bacon had a traumatic childhood, physically and mentally. Riddled with allergies and asthma, he also recognised his homosexuality from a very early age. When caught by his father trying on his mother's clothes, aged just sixteen, he was swiftly expelled from the household. Bacon travelled to Paris, Berlin and London, where he became part of an elegant Bohemian circle in South Kensington. His initial interest lay in radically modern furniture design but he soon began to dabble with paint. His early career was far from successful, and his work was panned by critics. Today, he is considered one of the greatest and most extraordinary painters of the twentieth century. His 'Triptych 1976' recently sold for $86.3 million - the most expensive work of contemporary art ever sold at auction. Always reluctant to talk about what inspired him, for fear of the story talking louder than the paint, Bacon's art is richly explored for the first time and his day-to-day working process is vividly brought to life. With much new material having been discovered since Bacon's death, this superbly written biography provides a fresh and exciting insight into the artist's life and works.

Bad year; we lost John Ashbery and Gass.

I knew that someday I was gonna die / And I knew before I died Two things would happen to me / That number one I would regret my entire life / And number two I would want to live my life over again.
Hubert Selby Jr.
Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
8 Thanks From:
bendk (2 Weeks Ago), Bleak&Icy (2 Weeks Ago), Gnosticangel (2 Weeks Ago), gveranon (3 Weeks Ago), Jeff Coleman (3 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (3 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (3 Weeks Ago), xylokopos (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #34
Zaharoff
Grimscribe
Points: 9,981, Level: 69 Points: 9,981, Level: 69 Points: 9,981, Level: 69
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: Forthcoming Books: Arthur Machen

Quote Originally Posted by Gnosticangel View Post
Was happy to see that Centipede posted notice of their forthcoming book, "Library of Weird Fiction: Arthur Machen," online.
Centipede Press
Thank you for posting.
I could not help but notice a forthcoming Caitlin Kiernan, Houses Under The Sea.
Had to check her site for more info, though she did warn prices would be beyond all but the affluent collectors.
She thought another edition would published ... eventually ... via Cemetery Dance or Subterranean.
Zaharoff is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Gnosticangel (2 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #35
luciferfell
Chymist
Points: 16,031, Level: 87 Points: 16,031, Level: 87 Points: 16,031, Level: 87
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

I am looking forward to Mythos Tales... but dear god... I hope that is not the final cover.
luciferfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #36
Nguyen
Mannikin
Points: 3,054, Level: 36 Points: 3,054, Level: 36 Points: 3,054, Level: 36
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

Quote Originally Posted by luciferfell View Post
I am looking forward to Mythos Tales... but dear god... I hope that is not the final cover.
I'm afraid you will be disappointed, good sir. I recall one of the more recent Centipede newsletters mentioning this book's cover art being done by Piotr Jablonski, and the artist himself seems to have confirmed this is indeed the final cover.

Personally I don't mind it at all, but do understand this is not everyone's cuppa...
Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
bendk (2 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #37
bendk
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 192,363, Level: 100 Points: 192,363, Level: 100 Points: 192,363, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Nguyen View Post
I'm afraid you will be disappointed, good sir. I recall one of the more recent Centipede newsletters mentioning this book's cover art being done by Piotr Jablonski, and the artist himself seems to have confirmed this is indeed the final cover.

Personally I don't mind it at all, but do understand this is not everyone's cuppa...
I like it. I didn't care for the cover of Centipede's The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll. I really like that novel and would have purchased it if it had great cover art.
bendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
ToALonelyPeace (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #38
Robert Adam Gilmour
Grimscribe
Points: 23,289, Level: 100 Points: 23,289, Level: 100 Points: 23,289, Level: 100
Activity: 43% Activity: 43% Activity: 43%

I think it's fine too, I was expecting something really awful from the talk here.

Land Of Laughs cover looks like a subway poster for a channel 4 show. Not especially bad but I wouldn't want it.

Robert Adam Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
bendk (2 Weeks Ago), Gnosticangel (2 Weeks Ago), miguel1984 (2 Weeks Ago), ToALonelyPeace (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #39
Jeff Matthews
Mannikin
Points: 1,515, Level: 23 Points: 1,515, Level: 23 Points: 1,515, Level: 23
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

I find it quite striking and exactly in tune with the flavor of Kiernan's work. May I ask what bothers you about it? (to each their own of course)
Jeff Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #40
luciferfell
Chymist
Points: 16,031, Level: 87 Points: 16,031, Level: 87 Points: 16,031, Level: 87
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Matthews View Post
I find it quite striking and exactly in tune with the flavor of Kiernan's work. May I ask what bothers you about it? (to each their own of course)
It's just... so bland and uninteresting.
luciferfell is offline   Reply With Quote