THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Quotation Forum > Thomas Ligotti Quotations > "The Clown Puppet"
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-01-2007   #1
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
I Then Would Become Obsessed With Death Nonsense

Quote ( View Quotes )
Collapse This

“ Since Mr. Vizniak's shop was located on an obscure backstreet, the neighborhood outside was profoundly inactive during the later hours of the night. And since most of the streetlamps in the neighborhood were either broken or defective in some way, the only thing I could see through the small front window of the shop was the neon lettering in the window of the meat store directly across the street. These pale neon letters remained lit throughout the night in the window of the meat store, spelling out three words: BEEF, PORK, GOAT. Sometimes I would stare at these words and contemplate them until my head became so full of meat nonsense, of beef and pork and goat nonsense, that I had to turn away and find something to occupy myself in the back room of the medicine shop, where there were no windows and thus no possibility of meat-store visions. But once I was in the back room I would become preoccupied with all the medicines which were stored there, all the bottles and jars and boxes upon boxes stacked from floor to ceiling in an extremely cramped area. I had learned quite a bit about these medicines from Mr. Vizniak, although I did not have a license to prepare and dispense them to customers without his supervision. I knew which medicines could be used to most easily cause death in someone who had ingested them in the proper amount and proper manner. Thus, whenever I went into the back room to relieve my mind from the meat nonsense brought on by excessive contemplation of the beef-pork-and-goat store, I almost immediately became preoccupied with fatal medicines; in other words, I then would become obsessed with death nonsense, which is one of the worst and most outrageous forms of all nonsense. ”

Thomas Ligotti - “The Clown Puppet”
Added by: G. S. Carnivals on 12-02-2007 #233

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #2
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 29,326, Level: 100 Points: 29,326, Level: 100 Points: 29,326, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Re: I Then Would Become Obsessed With Death Nonsense

Just repeating those three words around a sensitive person unacquainted with the story is the easiest way to induce panic, especially when accompanied by a subtly disturbed stare...

Speaking of death nonsense: Animals fear beings and objects because of the pain these things could cause them. The human race, however, has so convoluted its environment and social order that we fear things themselves instead of the harm they bring. Hence, the man who runs from snakes is better a man than the one who fears his boss.

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007   #3
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Threadstarter
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: I Then Would Become Obsessed With Death Nonsense

I couldn't wait to hear Miss Plarr read this one. The audio streams are a wonderful enhancement to Mr. Ligotti's words. Miss Plarr's sometimes robotic voice only adds to my personal appreciation of all things artificially intelligent. A decidedly spooky fetish, I admit, but there's something for everyone under the sun. Thank you, Dr. Bantham!

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote