THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Quotation Forum > Themed Quotations
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 11-05-2014   #531
Gray House
Chymist
Quotes: 0
Points: 9,366, Level: 67 Points: 9,366, Level: 67 Points: 9,366, Level: 67
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Pessimistic Passage of the Day...

I have got about through with the blooming game. I am about ready to retire. That does not mean I have money, but I study the actuary tables; I know I am about ready to retire. When I retire - well, while I will not be happy, I will not be miserable, and, as life goes, I believe I have as little cause for complaint as almost any person I know. And, I trust that I complain very little. At least I don't mean to. I have lived a life which is, approximately, as good as nothing. Not quite, but somewhere near it. And I will not be very much better off when I am dead; but somewhat.

- Clarence Darrow
Gray House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014   #532
Gray House
Chymist
Points: 9,366, Level: 67 Points: 9,366, Level: 67 Points: 9,366, Level: 67

What purpose was there in what Fabre tells us of the infinite - the terrible carnage between all the animals of the earth, every life feeding on every other life, and man feeding on the rest and himself feeding the rest. Fabre says, "At the banquet of life every man is in turn a guest and a dish." So he is! Purpose? If there is purpose it is malignant! Nobody can harmonize it with a fine purpose, or a great purpose or an important purpose, or any purpose!

- Clarence Darrow
Gray House is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
bendk (11-27-2014), Druidic (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014   #533
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

Cigarettes make the sun come up; whiskey makes the sun go down,
And in between a lot of standing around. –Warren Zevon
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
bendk (11-27-2014), Mad Madison (11-05-2014), miguel1984 (12-16-2014)
Old 11-05-2014   #534
MTC
Mystic
Points: 5,761, Level: 52 Points: 5,761, Level: 52 Points: 5,761, Level: 52
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Negations are true and affirmations are inadequate.
- Nicholas of Cusa
MTC is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
bendk (11-27-2014), Druidic (11-05-2014), Mad Madison (11-05-2014)
Old 11-27-2014   #535
Clown Puppet
Mannikin
Points: 2,737, Level: 33 Points: 2,737, Level: 33 Points: 2,737, Level: 33
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%

"i have absolutely no pleasure in the stimulants in which i sometimes madly indulge. it has not been in the pursuit of pleasure that i have periled life and reputation and reason. it has been the desperate attempt to escape from torturing memories, from a sense of insupportable loneliness, and a dread of some strange impending doom" - edgar allan poe
Clown Puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
bendk (11-27-2014), cynothoglys (11-27-2014), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (11-27-2014), Dr. Locrian (11-27-2014), Mad Madison (11-28-2014), Nicole Cushing (11-27-2014), ramonoski (11-27-2014)
Old 11-27-2014   #536
Nicole Cushing
Mystic
Points: 15,871, Level: 86 Points: 15,871, Level: 86 Points: 15,871, Level: 86
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

"...I will look fiercely into Nothingness and pledge fraternity with It, that I may perceive no further human traces when, at last, It seizes me, too!" -- The Nightwatches of Bonaventura
Nicole Cushing is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
bendk (11-27-2014), Clown Puppet (11-28-2014), cynothoglys (11-27-2014), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (11-27-2014), Mad Madison (11-28-2014), miguel1984 (12-16-2014), ramonoski (11-27-2014)
Old 12-16-2014   #537
Cnev
Chymist
Points: 11,269, Level: 73 Points: 11,269, Level: 73 Points: 11,269, Level: 73
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

“What happened when you woke up?"
"I was having a dream. I don’t know what it was, but when I woke up, I had this awful realization that I was awake. It hit me like a brick in the groin."
"Like a brick in the groin, I see."
"I didn't want to wake up. I was having a much better time asleep. And that's really sad. It was almost like a reverse nightmare, like when you wake up from a nightmare you're so relieved. I woke up into a nightmare."
"And what is that nightmare, Craig?"
"Life."
"Life is a nightmare."
"Yes.”

-Ned Vizzini, It's Kind of a Funny Story
Cnev is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
cynothoglys (12-16-2014), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (12-16-2014), miguel1984 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-22-2014   #538
ramonoski
Grimscribe
Points: 12,242, Level: 76 Points: 12,242, Level: 76 Points: 12,242, Level: 76
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

«There's nothing under your bed. Nothing in your closet. Nothing waiting in the hall. You are surrounded by nothing. You cannot escape it.»

— Posted at the Welcome to Nightvale facebook page.
ramonoski is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Thanks From:
Cnev (12-22-2014), Doctor Dugald Eldritch (12-22-2014), Mad Madison (01-30-2015), miguel1984 (12-22-2014), teguififthzeal (12-25-2014)
Old 01-29-2015   #539
When_MP_Attacks
Mystic
Points: 14,553, Level: 83 Points: 14,553, Level: 83 Points: 14,553, Level: 83
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%

If we had the courage to confront the doubts we timidly conceive about ourselves, none of us would utter an 'I' without shame.

- Cioran

Flash fiction story of mine: Pseudopod Pseudopod Bonus Flash: The Discussion Of Mimes

Flash fiction story of mine: Guardian Devils

Flash fiction story of mine
When_MP_Attacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
miguel1984 (01-30-2015)
Old 01-29-2015   #540
ChildofOldLeech
Grimscribe
Points: 39,937, Level: 100 Points: 39,937, Level: 100 Points: 39,937, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

The Dead Christ's Address on the Nonexistence of God

Jean Paul

. . . One summer's eve, I lay on a hill in the sun and fell asleep. I dreamed I awoke in God's acre. The turning cogs of the tower clock striking eleven had awakened me. In the desolate night sky I looked for the sun, thinking the moon moon had covered it in a solar eclipse. All the graves lay open and the iron doors of the charnel house house were swung open and shut by invisible hands. Shadows cast by no one flew on the walls, and other shadows walked upright in mere air. Nothing slept in the open coffins now save for the children. Only a grey, sultry mist hung in the sky in large folds, drawn in by a giant shadow, like a net, ever closer, tighter and more stifling. Above me, I heard the distant fall of avalanches; below me, the first jolt of an immense earthquake. The church was rocked back and forth by two incessant discords that clashed within and tried in vain to unite into a single harmony. Now and then, a grey shimmer climbed its windows and, in the shimmer, the lead and iron ran down, molten, The net of the mist and heaving earth thrust me into the temple, before the gates of which two sparkling basilisks brooded within two poisonous bushes. I passed through unfamiliar shades, on whom the centuries had put their seal. All the shades stood around the altar and, instead of their hearts, all their chests trembled and beat. Only one of the dead, recently buried in the church, still lay on the his pillow without trembling chest, and a pleasant dream marked his smiling countenance. But as one of the quick had entered, he awoke and smiled no morel painstakingly, he drew his heavy eyelid open, but no eye lay beneath, and within his beating chest was not a heart, but a wound. He raised up his hands and folded them in prayer; but the arms grew longer and became detached, and the folded hands fell away. On the church vaulting above was the clock-face of eternity, void of number and serving as its own hand, only one black finger was pointing and the dead wanted to tell the time by it.
Now a sublime noble figure, bearing an imperishable sorrow, sank down from on high to the altar, and the dead all cried: "Christ! is there no God?"
He replied: "There is none."
Each whole shadow of the dead, not only their breasts alone, shook, and one by one they were ripped apart by their quaking.
Christ went on: "I traversed the worlds, I ascended into the suns, and soared with the Milky Ways through the wastes of heaven; but there is no God. I descended to the last reaches of the shadows of Being, and I looked into the chasm and cried: 'Father, where art thou?' But I heard only the eternal storm ruled by none, and the shimmering rainbow of essence stood without sun to create it, trickling above the abyss. And when I raised my eyes to the boundless world for the divine eye, it stared at me from an empty bottomless socket; and Eternity lay on Chaos and gnawed it and ruminated itself. --Shriek on, discords, rend the shadows; for He is not!"
The pallid shadows dispersed just as a white vapor formed by the frost will melt in a warm breath; and all became void. Then came into the temple a heartrending sight, the dead children who had wakened in the churchyard, and now cast themselves before the sublime form on the altar saying: "Jesus! have we no father?" --And he replied with streaming tears: "We are all orphans, I and you, we are without a father."
Then the discords screeched more harshly -- the quaking temple walls sundered -- and temple and children sank -- and the entire earth and the sun sank after them -- and the whole immeasurable fabric of the universe sank past us, and high on the summit of boundless Nature stood Christ and gazed down into the universe, pierced by a thousand suns, as into a mine dug out of eternal night, where the suns are pit lamps and the Milky Ways the veins of silver core.
And when Christ beheld the grinding convergence of worlds, the torch dance of heavenly will-o'-the-wisps, and the coal banks of beating hearts, and when he beheld how one orb after another emptied forth its ember souls on the sea of the dead, as a water globe scatters floating lights over the waves: he, the highest of finite beings, lifted his eyes sublimely toward Nothing and Void Immensity, saying: "Mute inanimate Nothing! Chill eternal Necessity! Insane Chance! Do you know that which lies beneath you? When will you destroy the edifice and me? -- Chance, do you know when you'll stride with hurricanes through the flurry of stars and extinguish one sun after another, and when the sparkling dew of the stars will be quenched as thou pass? -- How alone each one is in the vast sepulcher of the Universe! Only I am next to myself -- Oh Father! oh Father! where is your infinite breast that I may rest upon it? -- If each self be its own Creator and Father, why can it not be also its own destroying angel. . .?
"Is that beside me a human being still? Thou poor man! Thy little life is Nature's sigh, or but its echo. A concave mirror beams its rays among the dust clouds of the ashes of the dead to your earth below, and then you come into being, you clouded tottering images. -- Look down into the chasm across which the ash clouds drift -- fogs full of worlds come swirling out of the sea of the dead, the future is a mist rising and the present a falling one. -- Do you recognize your earth?"
Here, Christ looked down, and his eyes filled with tears, and he said: "Alas, I was on it once: I was happy then, I still had my infinite Father, I gladly lifted my eyes from the hills to the boundless heaven, pressing my pierced breast against his soothing image, saying even in bitter death: 'Father, divest your son of his bleeding winding-sheet and lift Him to your heart!' . . . Alas, you delirious earth dwellers, you credit Him yet. At this very instant your sun may be setting and you fall upon your knees among blossoms, radiance, and tears, raising your blessed hands high and calling with a thousand tears of joy toward the open heavens: 'You know me also, Infinite One, and all my wounds, and after my death You will receive me and heal them all.' Wretched ones, they shall not be healed after death. When man of misery lays his weary frame into the earth to slumber toward a lovelier morn full of Truth, Virtue, and Joy: he shall awaken in turbulent chaos, everlasting midnight -- and no morning will come, no healing hand, no Infinite Father! -- Oh mortal at my side, if you be living still, pray to Him: else you shall lose Him forever."
And as I sank down and gazed into the shining fabric of the Universe: I perceived the raised coils of the giant serpent of Eternity, which has couched itself around the galaxy of worlds -- and the coils fell away and it encompassed the All doubly -- and then it wound itself around Nature a thousandfold, squeezing the worlds together -- and crushingly compressed the infinite temple into a churchyard chapel -- and all became close, dark, and fearful -- and a bell clapper, infinitely extended, was about to strike the ultimate hour of Time and shatter the Universe. . . when I awoke.

(from Black Letters Unleashed: 300 Years of Enthused Writing in German; edited by Malcolm Green.)

"When a man is born. . .there are nets flung at (his being) to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets." - James Joyce
ChildofOldLeech is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
Doctor Dugald Eldritch (01-30-2015), Druidic (01-30-2015), Mad Madison (01-30-2015), miguel1984 (01-30-2015), ramonoski (01-31-2015), teguififthzeal (01-30-2015), xylokopos (02-02-2015)