THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Quotation Forum > Themed Quotations
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 08-27-2008   #1
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 80,326, Level: 100 Points: 80,326, Level: 100 Points: 80,326, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via Skype™ to Cyril Tourneur
Man- Eater Passage of the Day

"Ever since I was a little girl, I always knew I had a small gift. But, Halleluyah!, After we feasted on GrandMama's powdered, dried, protein conveniently mixed into a and tasty stew, I have inherited all her supernatural gifts and powers. I've gone from Acolyte to Priestess almost overnight!. Thank you Modern Man-Eater! Our family legacy is saved!"
-Laetitia Laveau, New Orleans, LA

(Dictated while taking a stroll) I have come to realizewhat a superbly contrived marionette man is. Though without strings attached, one can strut, jump, hop and, moreover, utter words, an elaborately made puppet! Who knows? At the Bon season next year, I may be a new dead invited to the Bon festival. What an evanescent world! This truth keeps slipping off our minds.

- Tsunetomo Yamamoto, The Hagakure
Cyril Tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #2
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 80,326, Level: 100 Points: 80,326, Level: 100 Points: 80,326, Level: 100
Re: Man- Eater Passage of the Day

"My father was always strong as a bull. Both mentally and physically, he was a mountain of a man. Though I was no wuss myself, after taking his blood capsules, I have truly come into my own as family patriarch. Somehow, when things go badly now, I can look into myself and find the inner strength there I was lacking previously."
-Jim Johnson, Jackson, MS

(Dictated while taking a stroll) I have come to realizewhat a superbly contrived marionette man is. Though without strings attached, one can strut, jump, hop and, moreover, utter words, an elaborately made puppet! Who knows? At the Bon season next year, I may be a new dead invited to the Bon festival. What an evanescent world! This truth keeps slipping off our minds.

Old 08-27-2008   #3
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

"My bones were just plain getting eaten up by the osteo-porosis. But after eating all the calcium from my mother, I feel SO much better. My bones are strong again. I can feel my mother's spirit within them making me strong again, just like she did when she was alive"
-Ota Mae Wilson, NY,NY

Old 08-27-2008   #4
Nemonymous
Grimscribe
Points: 137,854, Level: 100 Points: 137,854, Level: 100 Points: 137,854, Level: 100
Activity: 86% Activity: 86% Activity: 86%

We'll have to show the Mr Can scenes from Ligotti fiction!

MY WEBSITE: www.nemonymous.com
Nemonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (08-27-2008)
Old 08-27-2008   #5
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Nemonymous View Post
We'll have to show the Mr Can scenes from Ligotti fiction!
I will see what I can do to appease Mr. Can's insatiable appetite in the next few days... , , and !

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (08-27-2008)
Old 08-27-2008   #6
Daisy
Grimscribe
Points: 48,331, Level: 100 Points: 48,331, Level: 100 Points: 48,331, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

From “Among the Dead” (2005), by Joel Lane

They hadn’t bothered to look at the headstone, David realised. The body was that of a young man, eighteen or so, with dark curly hair and pale skin. A few freckles marked his bony forehead. Whatever had killed him had left his face intact. The eyes were closed, but David felt his calm stare. This could have been himself, twenty years earlier. He reached out and brushed the cold cheek with his cold fingers. What happened to you? he thought . . . .

Using penknives and their dirt-streaked fingernails, they tore off strips from the face and began to eat. The viscera had been removed, of course, but there was plenty of muscle on the arms and legs. David reached in his trouser pocket for a Sainsbury’s mini-bottle of red wine. The evening meal didn’t feel civilised without it.

He went on eating long after his physical appetite had been appeased. This was a hunger that grew out of rage and disgust. The more nauseous he felt, the more he needed to eat. He gagged and belched, but didn’t throw up. A soft breeze cooled the air, mingling the smell of formaldehyde with smoke and petrol fumes from the ruins of Hockley.

Gary cracked a rib and sucked out the marrow carefully. “Bet this one was a car crash,” he said. “The pelvic girdle’s shattered. Best way to go. Live fast, die young, leave an edible corpse.”
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Bleak&Icy (08-27-2008), Cyril Tourneur (08-28-2008)
Old 08-27-2008   #7
Bleak&Icy
Grimscribe
Points: 41,621, Level: 100 Points: 41,621, Level: 100 Points: 41,621, Level: 100

They talked obsessively, their conversations spilling over each other. They bathed in shared knowledge. Neither of them had ever been able to discuss his passions. Andrew had had his diaries, which Jay wished he could read. Jay had had nothing. Now they could not stop comparing, exulting, marveling.

"But why do you eat their flesh?" Andrew had asked. "What do you get out of that?"

"You've never tasted it?"

"Only blood. And I like the look of that more than the taste."

"Blood..." Jay shrugged. "Blood is fuel. It's all right, but it's not what they're made of."

"Do you want them to become part of you? Is that it?"

"Partly," Jay admitted. "It took me a long time to feel they were staying. I'd eat their meat and it would become my meat and I'd be alone again. After a while, though, I started to feel them."

Andrew nodded. His dark eyes were reflective, but he looked as if he understood. At last he said, "Is there any other reason?"

"Because they taste wonderful," Jay told him.

--Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite

"Reality is the shadow of the word." -- Bruno Schulz
Bleak&Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (08-28-2008), Daisy (08-27-2008)
Old 08-27-2008   #8
Daisy
Grimscribe
Points: 48,331, Level: 100 Points: 48,331, Level: 100 Points: 48,331, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

“Sea Chanty” (1955), by Gregory Corso

My mother hates the sea,
my sea especially,
I warned her not to;
it was all I could do.
Two years later
the sea ate her.

Upon the shore I found a strange
yet beautiful food;
I asked the sea if I could eat it,
and the sea said that I could.
—Oh, sea, what fish is this
so tender and so sweet?—
—Thy mother’s feet—was its answer.
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Bleak&Icy (08-27-2008), Cyril Tourneur (08-28-2008)
Old 08-28-2008   #9
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket

by Edgar A. Poe

I recovered from my swoon in time to behold the consummation of the tragedy in the death of him who had been chiefly instrumental in bringing it about. He made no resistance whatever, and was stabbed in the back by Peters, when he fell instantly dead. I must not dwell upon the fearful repast which immediately ensued. Such things may be imagined, but words have no power to impress the mind with the exquisite horror of their reality. Let it suffice to say that, having in some measure appeased the raging thirst which consumed us by the blood of the victim, and having by common consent taken off the hands, feet, and head, throwing them together with the entrails, into the sea, we devoured the rest of the body, piecemeal, during the four ever memorable days of the seventeenth, eighteenth, nineteenth, and twentieth of the month.

Thanks From:
Daisy (08-28-2008)
Old 08-28-2008   #10
Cyril Tourneur
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

The Picture in the House by HPL

"But naow I'll show ye the best un - over here nigh the middle - "The old man's speech grew a trifle thicker and his eyes assumed a brighter glow; but his fumbling hands, though seemingly clumsier than before, were entirely adequate to their mission. The book fell open, almost of its own accord and as if from frequent consultation at this place, to the repellent twelfth plate showing a butcher's shop amongst the Anzique cannibals. My sense of restlessness returned, though I did not exhibit it. The especially bizarre thing was that the artist had made his Africans look like white men - the limbs and quarters hanging about the walls of the shop were ghastly, while the butcher with his axe was hideously incongruous. But my host seemed to relish the view as much as I disliked it.

"What d'ye think o' this - ain't never see the like hereabouts, eh? When I see this I telled Eb Holt, 'That's suthin' ta stir ye up an' make yer blood tickle.' When I read in Scripter about slayin' - like them Midianites was slew - I kinder think things, but I ain't got no picter of it. Here a body kin see all they is to it - I s'pose 'tis sinful, but ain't we all born an' livin' in sin? - Thet feller bein' chopped up gives me a tickle every time I look at 'im - I hey ta keep lookin' at 'im - see whar the butcher cut off his feet? Thar's his head on thet bench, with one arm side of it, an' t'other arm's on the other side o' the meat block."

"Killin' sheep was kinder more fun - but d'ye know, 'twan't quite satisfyin'. Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye - As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun to make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy - here, set still, what's ailin' ye? - I didn't do nothin', only I wondered haow 'twud be ef I did - They say meat makes blood an' flesh, an' gives ye new life, so I wondered ef 'twudn't make a man live longer an' longer ef 'twas more the same - " But the whisperer never continued. The interruption was not produced by my fright, nor by the rapidly increasing storm amidst whose fury I was presently to open my eyes on a smoky solitude of blackened ruins. It was produced by a very simple though somewhat unusual happening.

2 Thanks From:
Daisy (08-28-2008)