THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Quotation Forum > Themed Quotations
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 09-28-2008   #31
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
Re: Man- Eater Passage of the Day

"When the cannibals found their way back together after disposing of their meal, no one said a word. Someone would belch a bit, or spit out a fragment of bone, or softly smack with his tongue, or kick a leftover shred of blue frock coat into the flames. They were all a little embarrassed and afraid to look at one another. They had all, whether man or woman, committed a murder or some other despicable crime at one time or another. But to eat a human being? They would never, so they thought, have been capable of anything that horrible. And they were amazed that it had been so very easy for them and that, embarrassed as they were, they did not feel the tiniest bite of conscience. On the contrary! Though the meal lay rather heavy on their stomachs, their hearts were definitely light. All of a sudden there were delightful, bright flutterings in their dark souls. And on their faces was a delicate, virginal glow of happiness. Perhaps that was why they were shy about looking up and gazing into one another's eyes.

When they finally did dare it, at first with stolen glances and then candid ones, they had to smile. They were uncommonly proud. For the first time they had done something out of love."
Patrick Süskind - Perfume

(Translated from the German by John E. Woods)

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Daisy (09-28-2008)
Old 09-28-2008   #32
Daisy
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 48,331, Level: 100 Points: 48,331, Level: 100 Points: 48,331, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

"Braineaters" by the Misfits (from Walk Among Us, 1982)

Hey hey hey

Brains for dinner
Brains for lunch
Brains for breakfast
Brains for brunch
Brains at every single meal
Why can't we have some guts
Hey hey hey

Brains are all we ever get
In this rotten ####in' place, hey hey
Brains are all we ever get
Why can't we have a change of pace

Brains for dinner
Brains for lunch
Brains for breakfast
Brains for brunch
Brains at every single meal
Why can't we have some guts, hey hey

Why can't we have some guts, hey hey
Why can't we have some ####in' rotten guts
Hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (09-29-2008), G. S. Carnivals (09-28-2008)
Old 10-05-2008   #33
Spotbowserfido2
Grimscribe
Quotes: 2
Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100 Points: 199,579, Level: 100

Take this, all of you, and eat it:
this is my body which will be given up for you.

Take this, all of you, and drink from it:
this is the cup of my blood, the blood of the new and everlasting covenant.
It will be shed for you and for all
so that sins may be forgiven. Do this in memory of me.

"Like a dog!" he said; it was as if the shame of it must outlive him. - Franz Kafka, The Trial
Spotbowserfido2 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
BlackCatSophie (10-05-2008), Daisy (10-05-2008), G. S. Carnivals (10-05-2008)
Old 10-05-2008   #34
BlackCatSophie
Mannikin
Points: 6,513, Level: 55 Points: 6,513, Level: 55 Points: 6,513, Level: 55
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%

Quote Originally Posted by Spotbowserfido2 View Post

Take this, all of you, and eat it:
this is my body which will be given up for you.

Take this, all of you, and drink from it:
this is the cup of my blood, the blood of the new and everlasting covenant.
It will be shed for you and for all
so that sins may be forgiven. Do this in memory of me.
Prrr, was that a quote by Jeffrey Dahmer or Ed Gein? Whoever it was that said it, he was one sick puppy (no offense, Spot). Delusions of grandeur!;)

---Mrkrgnao! the cat cried.
BlackCatSophie is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Cyril Tourneur (10-05-2008), G. S. Carnivals (10-05-2008)
Old 10-05-2008   #35
Daisy
Grimscribe
Points: 48,331, Level: 100 Points: 48,331, Level: 100 Points: 48,331, Level: 100

From A Modest Proposal for Preventing the Children of Poor People in Ireland from Being a Burden to Their Parents or Country, and for Making Them Beneficial to the Public (1729), by Jonathan Swift

I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled, and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee, or a ragout.

I do therefore humbly offer it to public consideration, that of the hundred and twenty thousand children already computed, twenty thousand may be reserved for breed, whereof only one fourth part to be males; which is more than we allow to sheep, black-cattle, or swine, and my reason is that these children are seldom the fruits of marriage, a circumstance not much regarded by our savages, therefore one male will be sufficient to serve four females. That the remaining hundred thousand may at a year old be offered in sale to the persons of quality, and fortune, through the kingdom, always advising the mother to let them suck plentifully in the last month, so as to render them plump, and fat for a good table. A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends, and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter.
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Bleak&Icy (11-14-2008), Cyril Tourneur (10-06-2008), G. S. Carnivals (01-21-2009)
Old 11-14-2008   #36
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100

—You know I murdered her?

—You’re joking!

—It wasn’t meant to be a joke.

—Was it an accident, then?

—Sort of. She had the accident and I simply made it look like murder.

—Why?

—To keep people guessing.

—Guessing?

—Yes, people love guessing, specially concerning the circumstances of a murder. Some even have dinner parties all centred around solving a murder.

—So you made it look like a murder so as to give guests at a Murder Dinner something to think about!

—Yes, that and to keep the police murder squad in a job! (Laughs)

—But it was an accident all the time? Weren’t you risking everything just for a joke.

—I told you it wasn’t meant to be a joke.

—So did everyone take it seriously?

—Sort of. Till they found me with the murder weapon in my hand.

—But you didn’t murder her, you said.

—She had tripped and fallen on to the knife by accident. I was simply ready to attack the roast chicken. (Laughs).

—So it wasn’t a real murder then? You were just making it seem like a murder?

—No, it wasn’t a murder, but it was a dinner.
D. F. Lewis - "It Wasn't Meant to Be a Joke"

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
4 Thanks From:
Bleak&Icy (11-14-2008), candy (11-14-2008), Cyril Tourneur (11-20-2008), Daisy (11-15-2008)
Old 12-08-2008   #37
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor

"It is a pity dead bodies cannot really enjoy being undressed by others, as live ones do. That is perhaps a godsend, however, since they would not particularly relish being roasted afterwards."
D. F. Lewis - "Thoughts & Ribaldries"

Thanks From:
Daisy (12-09-2008)
Old 12-09-2008   #38
paeng
Grimscribe
Points: 26,507, Level: 100 Points: 26,507, Level: 100 Points: 26,507, Level: 100
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
Send a message via ICQ to paeng Send a message via AIM to paeng Send a message via MSN to paeng Send a message via Yahoo to paeng

From Fantastic Horror:

http://fantastichorror.blogspot.com/...an-horror.html
paeng is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Daisy (12-09-2008), G. S. Carnivals (12-09-2008)
Old 01-12-2009   #39
Viva June
Mystic
Points: 7,493, Level: 60 Points: 7,493, Level: 60 Points: 7,493, Level: 60
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

From Malzberg's short story "Indigestion":
Ah well. Then again I sometimes wonder how it might have been if instead of the anonymous and forlorn I had ingested instead the bodies of the famous. The cells of Spinoza swimming to mingle with my own bright and burbling blood, the obsessions of Beethoven, the clear and cunning visions of W. J. Bryan taken unto me and merged with my glutinous bloodstream... why, I might have been anything. Anything at all! I would have been a congregation, a celebration unto myself, not Henry of this common nature (which for all the ecstasy of my activities is what I am; I know my limitations) but Henry Transmogrified, carrying within himself the seeds and decomposition of hundreds of the best.
Viva June is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
Daisy (01-12-2009), G. S. Carnivals (01-12-2009), gveranon (01-12-2009)
Old 01-21-2009   #40
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor

"Even in the worst times of her dimly remembered streetie days, Maria had never been dumb or desperate enough to spend the hours between nine P. M. and seven A. M. in the subway, not even when the streets above were filled with slimy slushed snow and the temperature at night hit ten below. When the subways shut down at nine, all the lights went out, and what hid in the tunnels and crannies during the subway 'day' slithered out to claim a night blacker than a plushie tushie's heart. And the word from the bird was that anything that moved was meat.

You could get a hint of what that meant if you glimpsed out of the corner of your eye what lurked around the darker edges of the major stations like Times Square or Grand Central during the day. Babblers and screamers. Lumps of filthy flesh sleeping under mounds of newspapers. Bits and pieces of bone it didn't pay to look too closely at piled around last night's cookfires."
Norman Spinrad - "Street Meat"

2 Thanks From:
Daisy (01-21-2009), Nemonymous (01-21-2009)