THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Wayward Distractions > Art
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-18-2008   #1
Ligeia
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 29,020, Level: 100 Points: 29,020, Level: 100 Points: 29,020, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Madame Talbot

This lady deserves her own space here. Don't you think Wilum?

Madame Talbot is a rather private and reclusive self-taught artist who has always been interested in the dark and strange, even as a wee kidlet. Her interest include just about anything that has to do with the Victorian era 19th century, she has a fascination with Victorian era drugs, apothecary, and specifically those of absinthe, opium, laudanum, ether, etc. She is self-taught in nearly everything she does, from painting, pen-and-ink illustration, framed curio exhibits, her handmade mourning and apothecary cloth dolls, tattooing, her limited edition handmade books and even web design. She also is well versed in the art of penmanship and calligraphy, and is a taphophile by nature and historian by design. Her favorite ghost story has always been The Bell Witch of Tennessee and loves Southern Gothic, Bill Monroe and Ralph Stanley's Bluegrass and Robert Johnson's Delta Blues at the crossroads. She is fond of dusty tomes, attic findings, forgotten basements and gallows humor and would one day like to visit Bunhill Fields and Highgate cemetery. She has the luxury of living across the street from a very old church, and can watch the funeral processions from her window. She loves walking by the funeral homes on her street, and is interested in anything death oriented, past, present and future.Madame Talbot's last name came from the famous and notorious necromancer and alchemist, Edward Kelly alias Edward Talbot. He was the one who exerted so great an influence upon Dr. John Dee that he and Dee left England in search of occult and alchemical adventures. John Dee and Edward Kelly had once evoked the dead in a lonely cemetery. Kelly died in 1597. Madame Talbot's signature, which she has used since 1984 is the alchemical symbol for air.

http://www.madametalbot.com/

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream..
Ligeia is offline   Reply With Quote
15 Thanks From:
Andrea Bonazzi (12-19-2008), bendk (12-18-2008), candy (12-18-2008), Cyril Tourneur (12-18-2008), Daisy (12-18-2008), Dr. Bantham (04-23-2009), G. S. Carnivals (12-18-2008), hopfrog (12-18-2008), hypnogeist (12-22-2008), Jezetha (12-18-2008), Odalisque (12-18-2008), paeng (12-19-2008), Spotbowserfido2 (02-06-2010), vegetable theories (12-18-2008), Waterdweller (04-24-2009)
Old 12-18-2008   #2
Odalisque
Grimscribe
Points: 25,806, Level: 100 Points: 25,806, Level: 100 Points: 25,806, Level: 100
Re: Madame Talbot

A talbot is a now-extinct breed of hound. The black cat looks as though it may have had a paw in the extinction. ;)

When I was little, a boy called Brian Talbot persuaded me to eat a sloe. It was... an experience

Odalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Thanks From:
candy (12-18-2008), Jezetha (12-18-2008), Ligeia (12-18-2008), vegetable theories (12-18-2008)
Old 12-18-2008   #3
hopfrog
Grimscribe
Points: 16,782, Level: 89 Points: 16,782, Level: 89 Points: 16,782, Level: 89
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 30% Activity: 30% Activity: 30%

[quote=Ligeia;15393]This lady deserves her own space here. Don't you think Wilum?

She does, but she wou'd never join us in our delirium. The only writing she ever does is on her blog-spot . She saved my life when my boyfriend, who was running from his half-way house, died in my arms after snorting some hard-ass street smack. I held him, thinking he was just coughing, not knowing he was choking to death on bile. I let him rest on the floor, but he was too still. Then I noticed the pool of vomit spreading at his mouth. I went to knock on Madame Talbot's door (we lived in an antient hotel that had been turn'd into a punk artist's co-op) and said, "Todd's in my room, I think he's dead." This was on the Ides of March, the date of Lovecraft's death! Cosmic. The Madame went to my room and took care of whut needed to be done and then she called 911. I had (still have) this toy Raven that, when you clap your hands or bump it, begins to squawk, "Beware! The end is near!" There was a pack of us sitting in the hallway, everyone trying to calm me because honey I was FREAK'D OUT, and then from my room we heard, "Beware! The end is near!" When they had moved Todd's corpse from my bedroom to the front room to try to revive him, they had accidentally bumped into ye Raven. We were all sitting there in the hallway, looking all tragick -- and then we burst out laughing, it was so surreal. I'm so glad she & I re-connected once I got email. Our art-poems from ye grunge days will serve as portfolio for my Centipede book, and we are now working on three new ones devoted to Poe and Lovecraft and Wilde, which will be available as posters from her business site. She is my Autumn Sister.
--Wilum

Last edited by hopfrog; 12-21-2008 at 03:28 PM..
hopfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
9 Thanks From:
Andrea Bonazzi (12-19-2008), candy (12-18-2008), Cyril Tourneur (12-18-2008), Daisy (12-18-2008), G. S. Carnivals (12-18-2008), Jezetha (12-18-2008), Ligeia (12-18-2008), vegetable theories (04-24-2009), yellowish haze (12-18-2008)
Old 12-18-2008   #4
Ligeia
Grimscribe
Threadstarter
Points: 29,020, Level: 100 Points: 29,020, Level: 100 Points: 29,020, Level: 100

That was terrible dear.I don't know what i would do in a situation like this but i can say one thing for sure. One can overcome any difficulty when good friends are around. I've always considered mine as my family.

4 Thanks From:
candy (12-18-2008), Daisy (12-18-2008), hopfrog (12-21-2008), vegetable theories (04-24-2009)
Old 01-19-2009   #5
Daisy
Grimscribe
Points: 47,014, Level: 100 Points: 47,014, Level: 100 Points: 47,014, Level: 100

The other day, I picked up the latest issue of Fortean Times and was delighted to discover a full-length article about Madame Talbot! Here is a complete transcription:

“Talbot’s Victorian Lowbrow” by Claudia Andrei (Fortean Times, No. 244 [February 2009], pp. 58-59)

Claudia Andrei steps into Madame Talbot’s cabinet of curiosities, a blackly humorous and gorgeously realised world of dark Victoriana in which Lizzie Borden, Edgar Allan Poe and the Bell Witch reign supreme . . .

Welcome to the wonderfully macabre world of Madame Talbot—the strangest phenomenon to emerge from the Oregon coastline since the so-called “Wheeler Moments” that put the town of Wheeler on the map as a place where odd coincidences and twists of fate seem to happen on a regular basis. Not that anything coincidental is happening inside the Talbot residence, however. Hidden away in a 135-year-old haunted house in a small Victorian town, the reclusive artist is quite in control of her own destiny, hard at work to delight those with a penchant for dark art and 19th-century paraphernalia.

One look at Madame Talbot’s website (www.MadameTalbot.com) shows that she not only knows her Victoriana, but that her multiple skills make her one of the most unusual Gothic artists around. “I started drawing at the age of four, prompted by boredom during my many visits to the hospital,” she explains. “Once I left home, I faked my way into jobs that furthered my skills—print shops, ad layout, photo darkroom, sign painting, anything that would pay the rent. To make a living, I opened my own tattoo studio and hand illustrated posters for sideshow freaks.” Her work has been described as a celebration of life through death. On examining the variety of her creations, one can see why.

Madame Talbot’s “memento mori” dolls are not only an example of her exquisite craftsmanship, but with names like “Madame Rosa Grimwig Gypsy Stump Doll,” “Mother Crack’em Soothsayer Stump Doll” or Mr Griswold Opium Stump Doll,” it’s clear that they also hint at a fund of black humour not far beneath the surface. Each doll is handcrafted without the aid of additional helpers or sewing machines and each is a one-off. Using antique buttons, vintage brocades and lace, they reveal a minute attention to detail.

Likewise, her magnificent poster art is in no need of 21st-century digital image manipulation. Mme Talbot, although not against computers, feels that using them for artistic purposes makes people lazy, and can result in a certain lack of “soul” in the finished product. She prefers the beauty and craft of “old school” techniques. Once her pen and ink drawings are finished (a process that can take up to two weeks), the illustration is then printed from actual film that’s shot directly from the original artwork. It goes without saying that a proper printing press is used to produce the posters. Once again, morbid Victorian icons such as Jack the Ripper, Sweeney Todd, the Mercy Brown vampire case or the Bell Witch are favoured themes, but always with a humorous twist. Mme Talbot also claims inspiration from Edgar Allan Poe, the fairytales of the Brothers Grimm, the danse macabre, German Gothic, Edinburgh, London’s East End, Charles Dickens, Charles Baudelaire, and the cult of the dead—to name just a few from a seemingly endless list.

If none of this tickles your funny bone, then how about some exquisite coffin designs? From a hand-studded brass nail casket to the “Darkness and Dawn” coffin and many more, it’s doubtful whether shuffling off this mortal coil has ever been such a source of aesthetic pleasure. Naturally, where there is a coffin, a tombstone can’t be far away: rest assured—Madame offers the perfect slab for every occasion. With titles such as “Finest Embalming,” “The Suicide Club Ltd.” and “Arsenic Complexion,” they are guaranteed to raise a few smiles at any funeral.

Another delight comes in the shape of her curio-exhibit pieces; these are handcrafted cabinets in which specially themed and recreated requisites are displayed in individually crafted centre-pieces and finished by using ornate wooden frames. Once again, macabre Victorian tales inspire Madame Talbot’s one-of-a-kind cabinets. Be astonished by the “Till Death Do Us Part” curio, the “Eyes Of A Dead Man” curio, or the “Bawdy Bird Witches Bat” curio and the “Monkey Paw” curio, displaying a genuine Vervet monkey paw. However, before animal rights campaigners (including your truly) go on the rampage, it should be pointed out that this particular type of monkey is found throughout South Africa, where it is classified as vermin, and is a non-endangered species. Perhaps more unsettling are the “Stigmata” and “Victorian Teeth” curios, as well as the “Genuine Hanged Man’s Medicinal Skullcap” (potential purchasers are advised to read the Bone FAQ to ensure they are within their legal limit when purchasing human bones.) The topper, however, has got to be the “Vintage Human Shrunken Head,” lovingly displayed against sumptuous red velvet and framed by a set of hand-sewn velvet curtains (the perfect Christmas present for those much cherished in-laws). By the way, all placards inside the various cabinets are hand-illustrated, using pen and ink on vintage paper. Naturally.

Madame has also been commissioned by the Mütter Museum (the celebrated collection of medical oddities located at The College of Physicians of Philadelphia) to provide a selection of items for their gift shop. Visitors can chose between “Plague Nails,” various “Laudanum Poison Labels,” an eerie-looking “Ocular Prosthesis” or a set of “Corpse Teeth”—all displayed as miniature framed curios.

Those who hope for an exhibition of the artist’s work will be in for a long wait indeed. Madame Talbot steadfastly refuses to surrender to gallery politics, which she feels take too much time away from creating the works themselves.

To make up for the disappointment, she offers an online service that allows connoisseurs and collectors of 19th-century oddities to purchase rare items like the “Amber Apothecary Bottle” or the “Vintage Opium Grain Pill Bottle,” amongst other objects such as out-of-print books. Visiting Madame Talbot’s website is like stepping into the old curiosity shop, but one with a very dark twist to it. Enter at your own risk . . .
Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
7 Thanks From:
Andrea Bonazzi (01-20-2009), Cyril Tourneur (01-19-2009), G. S. Carnivals (01-19-2009), hopfrog (01-20-2009), Ligeia (01-20-2009), The Black Ferris (04-23-2009), vegetable theories (04-24-2009)
Old 01-20-2009   #6
hopfrog
Grimscribe

I keep forgetting to look for that issue, so thanks. Just a few hours ago I wrote my Poe death-poem for our series of three posters (Wilde, Poe & Lovecraft), and so I emailed it to her and just now got back her positive response. Her ideas for the Poe poster sound amazing. I am really excited about this project. I have one more death-poem to write, in memory of HPL, but I may wait and write it on March 15th.

"We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
--Henry James (1843-1916)
4 Thanks From:
Daisy (01-20-2009), G. S. Carnivals (01-20-2009), Ligeia (01-20-2009), vegetable theories (04-24-2009)
Old 01-20-2009   #7
Ligeia
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

February's issue is out already????The distribution here sucks and i always seem to miss it

Old 04-23-2009   #8
hopfrog
Grimscribe

Madame Talbot has, or is soon, to begin work on our three posters. She does all of her artwork, whut is quite intricate, by hand, so it will probably be a while before these are completed. I have written three wee poems in memory of Oscar Wilde, Edgar A. Poe and H. P. Lovecraft, and Ashleigh will be turning each into one of her fabulous posters, whut are beautifully printed on a kind of antique-looking sepia tone poster stock. She just sent me her poster for the Mutter Museum, and it is too delicious -- especially her depiction of the "facial slice," an image that haunts my darkest dreams. I'll be getting gobs of these posters, so if anyone has any interest in getting yem, let me know via private message and I'll supply ye with poetic nightmare as long as supplies last.

"We work in the dark -- we do what we can -- we give what we have. Our doubt is our passion and our passion is our task. The rest is the madness of art."
--Henry James (1843-1916)
3 Thanks From:
Andrea Bonazzi (04-24-2009), Ligeia (04-23-2009), vegetable theories (04-24-2009)
Old 04-23-2009   #9
trieffiewiles
Chymist
Points: 19,011, Level: 95 Points: 19,011, Level: 95 Points: 19,011, Level: 95
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%

Dame Darcy and Joe Coleman put together almost? Her art is similar to many artists I've happened across lately, only better. Most artists in this vein honestly seem like imitations of Darcy or Coleman.

I'd like to see her, Talbot that is, work on a very large and extensive scale the way Coleman, but put her own artistic, rather than encyclopedic in his case, spin on it.
trieffiewiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
vegetable theories (04-24-2009)
Old 04-23-2009   #10
Ligeia
Grimscribe
Threadstarter

You're always so kind and generous Wilum!I'd love to have her poster on Edgar Allan Poe along with your poetry!