THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Quotation Forum > Thomas Ligotti Quotations > "The Christmas Eves of Aunt Elise"
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 12-24-2008   #2
Odalisque
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 29,666, Level: 100 Points: 29,666, Level: 100 Points: 29,666, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Where It's Always Alive With Lights

Quote Originally Posted by G. S. Carnivals View Post
"And where it will always, forever after, be just like Christmas Eve."
Thomas Ligotti - "The Christmas Eves of Aunt Elise"
There's a song called I Wish it Could Be Christmas Every Day which seems to me to embody a truly horrible idea. Hardly any shops open, no public transport... the list of reasons why it would be dreadful is a long one. But its always being just like Christmas Eve would be a more bearable prospect.

I Wish it Could Be Christmas Every Day is just one of a number of song lyrics evidently composed without thinking about their meaning. Another is a song that declares that If I ruled the world every day would be the first day of spring... (1) This is not in the gift of even the most powerful potentate. (2) The first day of spring is usually (at least in England) cold and generally unpleasant. (3) Where would we be without the ensuing summer and harvest time?... and so on.

Of course, the big downside of it always, forever after, being just like Christmas Eve would be the absence of a summer and harvest time. I was just saying that it would be more bearable than it being Christmas every day -- not that it would be a good thing.

Odalisque is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Thanks From:
candy (12-24-2008), G. S. Carnivals (12-25-2008), Nemonymous (12-24-2008)
Old 12-24-2008   #3
Cryptic
Mannikin
Quotes: 0
Points: 4,199, Level: 43 Points: 4,199, Level: 43 Points: 4,199, Level: 43
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Where It's Always Alive With Lights

Of course, the big downside of it always, forever after, being just like Christmas Eve would be the absence of a summer and harvest time. I was just saying that it would be more bearable than it being Christmas every day -- not that it would be a good thing.

Perhaps it isn't the actual season that the person is referring to. Rather, it could very well be the feeling that the singer/songwriter/whoever wishes to stay year-round. On Christmas Eve (the more logical choice in this) is the night where kids are excited for the next day and parents are, generally speaking, satisfied and content (at least in concern of the child). Children on this night try to stay awake as long as possible to see if they can catch Old Saint Nick putting the presents underneath the Christmas tree; and usually fail in doing either one of these things.

All of this is general and not taking into account any extraneous influences that may impact such feelings. The nights preceding Christmas are usually filled with happiness and excitement for the children involved. As one psychologist said (one who studies place): maybe we need to stop looking at things that are meant for children through the eyes and perspective of an adult and become more concerned with what it does for the children.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Cryptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
G. S. Carnivals (12-25-2008)