THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Collecting > Items Available
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 07-04-2005   #1
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 34,597, Level: 100 Points: 34,597, Level: 100 Points: 34,597, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
Over 60 books available for trade, giveaway, whatever

I've mentioned previously at TLO that my family and I are moving into a new house. We've spent the past two weeks doing so, and the carnage and chaos are still proceeding as I type these words. Coming as it does on the heels of our move from Missouri to Texas last year, and then back again from Texas to Missouri, this current move is taxing our patience to the limit.

Hence, my decision to give away, or trade away, or whatever, an assortment of books. I've listed the titles below and divided them into modern books and older ones. By "older" I mean books published between the early 19th and early 20th centuries. The authors and subjects represented in this list constitute quite a diverse group. There's a wealth of material that I'm confident will be of direct interest to all TLO members. There are also many tangential and obscure items. But I'm only offering this lot intact, since I really need to make space.

The conditions range from brand new and never read (as with the copy of FAHRENHEIT 451 listed below) to poor and falling apart (as with a handfull of the 19th century volumes). A few of the older books are in really nice condition. Most are just average.

If you're interested in owning this lot, please contact me by sending me a private message here at TLO. If you have something -- some ONE thing, please, not an assortment -- that you want to get rid of in trade, such as a book, movie, or whatever, I'll gladly hear your offer. Or on the other hand, if I only receive inquiries from people who are wanting this lot for frree, then I'll simply give the entire lot to the first person who writes to me.

All I ask is that you pay the postage. Within the United States, the books can be mailed at Media Mail rate for quite a reasonable price. Internationally, it'll be quite expensive, as the lot weighs about 60 pounds.

I'll let this offer stand until this Friday, July 8th.

THE BOOKS:

Modern books:

1. DISNEY ANIMATION: THE ILLUSION OF LIFE by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston
2. THE TALISMAN by Stephen King and Peter Straub
3. LIBRARY OF THE FUTURE (CD-ROM containing hundreds, or even thousands, of classic texts, both fiction and nonfiction, Western and Eastern)
4. THE HILL OF DREAMS by Arthur Machen (Wildside Press TPB edition, riddled with typos but still a wonderful novel)
5. THE BLACK LODGE by Robert Weinberg
6. AMERICAN PRIDE by Diana Rosen
7. THE RAGCHILD by Steve Lockley and Paul Lewis. Autographed by both authors.
8. THE SECRETS OF PROFESSIONAL CARTOONING by Ken Muse
9. GRAVE TALES #2, May 2000 (magazine of horror stories in comic-book form published by Cemetery Dance)
10. CINEFANTASTIQUE 25:5, October 1994. Includes feature stories on John Carpenter’s IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS, Michele Soavi’s DELLAMORTE DELLAMORE, more.
11. DAGGER OF THE MIND’S EYE #1, 1990
12. FANGORIA 200th issue, 100 pages, interviews with Clive Barker, George Romero, Tobe Hooper, more
13. FANGORIA #106, September 1991. Special H.P. Lovecraft issue.
14. HORROR MOVIES by Daniel Cohen (thin but oversized hardcover, lavishly illustrated)
15. THE FRANKENSTEIN PAPERS by Fred Saberhagen
16. ODDEST YET by Steve Burt
17. ANTHEM by Ayn Rand
18. BEST OF THE REST 2: THE BEST UNKNOWN SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY OF 1998, edited by Brian Youmans
19. PRESBYTERIANS: THEIR HISTORYAND BELIEFS by Walter L. Lingle and John W. Kuykendall
20. ART & SOUL: NOTES ON CREATING by Audrey Flack
21. RELIGIONS, VALUES, AND PEAK-EXPERIENCES by Abraham Maslow
22. SCARY REDNECKS AND OTHER INBRED HORRORS by David Whitman and Weston Ochse. Signed and inscribed by both authors.
23. TEACH YOURSELF TO CREATE WEBPAGES by Ned Snell. 1999. Includes CD-ROM with FrontPage Express.
24. THE POSTMODERN EXPLAINED by Jean-Francois Lyotard
25. THE MORAL LIFE OF SCHOOLS by Philip W. Jackson, Robert E. Boostrom, and David T. Hansen
26. FOUNDATIONS OF AMERICAN EDUCATIONby L. Dean Webb, Arlene Metha, and K. Forbis Jordan
27. WHAT DREAMS MAY COME by Richard Matheson
28. NEMONYMOUS: A MEGAZANTHUS FOR SHORT FICTION #3, , edited by D.F. Lewis
29. THE IMMENSE JOURNEY by Loren Eisley
30. PENSÉES and THE PROVINCIAL LETTERS by Blaise Pascal
31. EXISTENTIALISM: AN INTRODUCTORY GUIDE AND ASSESSMENT by John Macquarrie
32. SEVEN WEEKS TO BETTER SEX by Domeena Renshaw, M.D.
33. I AM LEGEND by Richard Matheson
34. FAHRENHEIT 451 by Ray Bradbury.
35. SIX MEN by Alistair Cooke (contains Cooke’s mini-biographies of Charles Chaplin, H.L. Mencken, Humphrey Bogart, Adlai Stevenson, Bertrand Russell, and Edward VIII)
36. STORIES OF THE SUPERNATURAL, selected and edited by Betty M. Owen (includes The Willows by Blackwood, The Vertical Ladder by William Sansom, The Dancing Doll by Gerlald Kersh, Sir Dominick’s Bargain by J. Sheridan Le Fanu, The Cocoon by John B.L. Goodwin, The Madwoman by Gerald Kersh, and The Fly by George Langelaan)
37. HEART by Simon Morden. Signed and inscribed by author.
38. ANTHOLOGY OF WORLD SCRIPTURES, edited by Robert E. Van Voorst
39. THE ORESTEIA by Aeschylus, trans. Robert Fagles
40. COLD HAND IN MINE by Robert Aickman
41. YONDER by Charles Beaumont (short story collection by one of the most prominent writers for THE TWILIGHT ZONE)
42. TOTEM AND TABOO by Sigmund Freud
43. WHO’S WHO AMONG STUDENTS IN AMERICAN UNIVERSITIES AND COLLEGES, 2001 edition (features yours truly as an entry)
44. GHOSTS by Dona Smith (#1 in the “Shock Shots” series of miniature monster books that were distributed in the 1990s to members of the Goosebumps books club)
45. ZOMBIES by Nancy E. Krulic (Shock Shots #2)
46. VAMPIRES by Dona Smith (Shock Shots #4)
47. MUMMIES by Dona Smith (Shock Shots #6)

Older books:

48. MASTERPIECES OF MYSTERY: GHOST STORIES, edited by Joseph Lewis French (1925)
49. PRACTICAL THOUGHTS by Rev. William Nevins, D.D. (1836)
50. KING ARTHUR AND HIS KNIGHTS OF THE ROUND TABLE, ADAPTED FROM MALORY’S LE MORTE D’ARTHUR by Sidney Lanier (1950)
51. A THOUSAND AND ONE GEMS: ENGLISH AND AMERICAN POETRY FROM CHAUCER TO TENNYSON, edited by Edwin O. Chapman (1884)
52. THE GRECIAN HISTORY, FROM THE EARLIEST STATE TO THE DEATH OF ALEXANDER THE GREAT by Dr. Goldsmith (1808)
53. THE POETICAL WORKS OF THOMAS MOORE (LATE 19TH CENT.)
54. THE HORSE AND BUGGY DOCTOR by Arthur E. Hertzler, M.D. (1938)
55. THE CARPENTERS’ STEEL SQUARE AND ITS USES By Fred T. Hodgson (1891)
56. THE LITTLE MINISTER by J.M. Barrie (EARLY 20TH CENT.)
57. HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES by John Clark Ridpath (1874)
58. POLITICAL DEBATES BETWEEN HON. ABRAHAM LINCOLN AND HON. STEPHEN A. DOUGLAS, IN THE CELEBRATED CAMPAIGN OF 1858, IN ILLINOIS (1860)
59. ELI PERKINS: WIT, HUMOR AND PATHOS, by Melville D. Landon (1883)
60. STONEWALL by Julia Davis Adams (1931, BIOGRAPHICAL NOVEL ABOUT STONEWALL JACKSON)
61. CHURCH PSALMIST (19TH CENT.)
62. A POCKET DICTIONARY OF THE HOLY BIBLE (1831)
63. THE HICKORY RIDGE BOY SCOUTS: STORM-BOUND, OR A VACATION AMONG THE SNOW DRIFTS by Captain Alan Douglas (1915)
64. THE YOUNG MAN’S GUIDE by William A. Alcott (1847)
65. NOTES, EXPLANATORY AND PRACTICAL, ON THE ACTS OF THE APOSTLES by Albert Barnes (1834)
66. LECTURES ON CONSTITUTIONAL LAW by Henry St. George Tucker (1843)
67. RHYMES OF CHILDHOOD by James Whitcomb Riley (1900)
68. AN ELEGY WRITTEN IN A COUNTRY CHURCHYARD by Thomas Gray (LATE 19TH CENT.)
69. WRITTEN AND SPOKEN ENGLISH: A COURSE IN COMPOSITION AND RHETORIC by Erle E. Clippinger (1917)

matt cardin is offline   Reply With Quote