THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Quotation Forum > Thomas Ligotti Quotations > "The Spectacles in the Drawer"
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 07-25-2005   #2
adam
Acolyte
Quotes: 0
Points: 11,863, Level: 75 Points: 11,863, Level: 75 Points: 11,863, Level: 75
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Re: The Fate Of All True Secrets

Just remove the "of such a book" from the first line, and this quotation is actually an amazingly accurate description of the way science works. I don't know if there are any other scientists here (and I expect there are not, since real scientists that are actually interested in literature are very rare), but for me it really sums up scientific thinking and the scientific method. Right now an amazing discover might get you published in Nature or Science, but a similar discovery six months from now will likely not even make it into a half-way respectable journal. New stuff is hot temporarily, but then is quickly relegated to general background knowledge that is taken for granted. And no scientist ever really lives to see the fruit of their discoveries in the grand scheme of things because science is a process and therefore neverending.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005   #3
waffles
Grimscribe
Points: 33,580, Level: 100 Points: 33,580, Level: 100 Points: 33,580, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Quote Originally Posted by adam";p=&quot View Post
... and this quotation is actually an amazingly accurate description of the way science works. I don't know if there are any other scientists here (and I expect there are not, since real scientists that are actually interested in literature are very rare), but for me it really sums up scientific thinking and the scientific method ...
I spent seven years pursuing a PhD in math. I would walk into a class room where a seminar had been held and the blackboard would be covered from top to bottom with diagrams and sketches and not a single complete sentence. I very badly wanted in on the secrets. After a few years, n-dimensional spheres seemed very mundane. That quote really does sum upmy state of mind(at that time).
waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
GirlyGirlMask (05-07-2017)
Old 07-28-2005   #4
The Silent One
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 29,326, Level: 100 Points: 29,326, Level: 100 Points: 29,326, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote Originally Posted by waffles";p=&quot View Post
Quote Originally Posted by adam";p=&quot View Post
... and this quotation is actually an amazingly accurate description of the way science works. I don't know if there are any other scientists here (and I expect there are not, since real scientists that are actually interested in literature are very rare), but for me it really sums up scientific thinking and the scientific method ...
I spent seven years pursuing a PhD in math. I would walk into a class room where a seminar had been held and the blackboard would be covered from top to bottom with diagrams and sketches and not a single complete sentence. I very badly wanted in on the secrets. After a few years, n-dimensional spheres seemed very mundane. That quote really does sum upmy state of mind(at that time).
See also "The Night School" ;).

"And into his dreams he fell...and forever."
The Silent One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #5
waffles
Grimscribe
Points: 33,580, Level: 100 Points: 33,580, Level: 100 Points: 33,580, Level: 100
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

[quote="The Silent One";p="2283"]
Quote Originally Posted by waffles";p=&quot View Post

See also "The Night School" ;).
"The Night School" was a story that really hooked me.
I was studying studying spectral sequences by day while yearning for the 'spectral sewage' at night.
waffles is offline   Reply With Quote