THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Technical Information > Error Reports and Problems
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 07-26-2011   #11
DoktorH
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 16,436, Level: 88 Points: 16,436, Level: 88 Points: 16,436, Level: 88
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: TLO Hacked

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bantham View Post
Many thanks to you and all who have voiced support here. It was disheartening to see this unfold, but it is certainly nice to be reminded that my efforts are appreciated!
Were it not for TLO, I would have missed out on a lot of great stories from Ligotti since I wouldn't know where to look for them, and a lot of great discussion with Ligotti fans. I've been here less than a year, and I appreciate the website itself, the people who keep it running, and the community that calls it home.

When the Red Tower is up and running again, I am buying your swag.
DoktorH is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Joe Pulver (07-29-2011), Mr. D. (07-30-2011)
Old 07-26-2011   #12
DoktorH
Grimscribe

Quote Originally Posted by njhorror View Post
I've always considered this a haven from online madness . . . or was it a haven of online madness?
it's a haven for the right kind of madness from the wrong kind of madness.
Thanks From:
Mr. D. (07-30-2011)
Old 07-27-2011   #13
Sam
Chymist
Points: 20,319, Level: 98 Points: 20,319, Level: 98 Points: 20,319, Level: 98
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
I also seem to have lost a few posts. I only noticed this fact as I had hit the magickal mark of 250 posts and become a "Chymist" about a week prior to the hack. Upon restoration, I was back to 249 posts. I am not sensitive at all to my rank and achievements (or lack thereof) on TLO, but wanted to mention it for possible troubleshooting assistance.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention, as I need details to set everything straight. If you notice a particular time period, let me know. Everything was recalculated as well, so if you deleted posts or such it may only be a correction.
Not too sure about this. Between July 15 (the date of my first alchymical ascendancy) and July 23, I did post a few times, but I can't say where or how often. Probably 3-5 posts, tops. I don't think I deleted anything, at least not on purpose... I do recall leaving a drunken Visitor Message for hypnogeist in the style of Wesley Willis at some point, and that seems to have disappeared too. (Probably for the greater good.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
The only other anomaly I have seen is under Your Notifications; I have had 1 notification since the site was restored, apparently an unread private message. A trip to my Inbox shows no unread messages, unless I am totally overlooking something.
Has this cleared up?
Nope, still there. I looked over all messages again and I can't find any unread ones. It is a mystery...

And you efforts are definitely very appreciated. I can't think of anything that I do so selflessly for the benefit of so many others. I raise my bottle of Guinness Extra Stout to you, sir, and toast your good name. To Dr. Bantham (whose secret name I am privileged to know), sláinte!

DimShores.com
Fiction from the horizons of the Weird Renaissance and beyond.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Dr. Bantham (07-28-2011), Mr. D. (07-30-2011)
Old 07-28-2011   #14
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter
Quotes: 19
Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

There are several features and pages which have not yet been fixed. It also appears that some data has been lost, but hopefully this is limited to a section of activity with 1-2 weeks of the hacking episode. To address issues and further protect the site, I will be upgrading the core software and modifications very soon. I will also be looking into repairing/restoring any lost data, though this is dependent upon the data being included within the set of backups that have been maintained.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Mr. D. (07-30-2011), Spotbowserfido2 (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011   #15
Gray House
Chymist
Points: 9,366, Level: 67 Points: 9,366, Level: 67 Points: 9,366, Level: 67
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Just looked at my list of posts. A post I made on July 22 is still there, but nothing before that for three weeks. I don't remember when I posted during that time, but there were at least a few that are no longer there. I tried doing a google search for something I remembered writing in one of the missing posts, and strangely google gave me a TLO result, but it brought me to a TLO page that read, "No Thread Specified". I am not greatly distraught about the loss of my posts, but thought I'd mention that in case it helps, though probably it doesn't.
Gray House is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Mr. D. (07-30-2011)
Old 07-29-2011   #16
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter
Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100

Quote Originally Posted by Gray House View Post
Just looked at my list of posts. A post I made on July 22 is still there, but nothing before that for three weeks. I don't remember when I posted during that time, but there were at least a few that are no longer there. I tried doing a google search for something I remembered writing in one of the missing posts, and strangely google gave me a TLO result, but it brought me to a TLO page that read, "No Thread Specified". I am not greatly distraught about the loss of my posts, but thought I'd mention that in case it helps, though probably it doesn't.
Many thanks, as these clues could greatly aid the restoration efforts.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
Thanks From:
Mr. D. (07-30-2011)
Old 07-29-2011   #17
gveranon
Grimscribe
Points: 27,554, Level: 100 Points: 27,554, Level: 100 Points: 27,554, Level: 100

A few of my recent posts are missing, too. In fact, I'm aware of at least two whole threads that seem to be missing: Montag's thread entitled "Overrated writers (non-genre)," and DoktorH's thread entitled "Ligottian Terrorists encase building in Jello." Google cache has these, but if you try to link to them you get "No thread specified."

Update: Gray House's thread "What next?" is also no longer here.

Last edited by gveranon; 07-29-2011 at 03:09 AM..
gveranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Mr. D. (07-30-2011)
Old 07-29-2011   #18
DoktorH
Grimscribe

Quote Originally Posted by gveranon View Post
A few of my recent posts are missing, too. In fact, I'm aware of at least two whole threads that seem to be missing: Montag's thread entitled "Overrated writers (non-genre)," and DoktorH's thread entitled "Ligottian Terrorists encase building in Jello." Google cache has these, but if you try to link to them you get "No thread specified."

Update: Gray House's thread "What next?" is also no longer here.
gosh, I didn't even know any of my threads were gone. Maybe there isn't always room for Jell-O.
Thanks From:
Mr. D. (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011   #19
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter

I have identified approximately one hundred threads that have been deleted, primarily from two separate date ranges. It appears that if I restore the thread table entries manually, then the corresponding posts are viewable. I am trawling through database backups to see if I can retrieve data subsets, as this method of extrapolating thread data from post tables is slow and does not address extraneous fields (i.e. forum, view count, last viewed, last edited, etc).

Here is an example of a recovered thread:
LIgottian Terrorists encase building in Jello

It also appears that a number of posts were also deleted, the extent of which I have not yet assessed. The good news is that I have a good archive of backup data, as long as it was not also corrupted.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
Thanks From:
Gray House (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011   #20
Sam
Chymist
Points: 20,319, Level: 98 Points: 20,319, Level: 98 Points: 20,319, Level: 98
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bantham View Post
Here is an example of a recovered thread:
LIgottian Terrorists encase building in Jello
Ruh-ro, Raggy. Clicking that link gives me this:
Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
Maybe I'm jumping the recovered gun?

DimShores.com
Fiction from the horizons of the Weird Renaissance and beyond.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote