THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > Quotation Forum > Thomas Ligotti Quotations > "The Night School"
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 01-22-2006   #1
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
The Nocturnal Product

Quote ( View Quotes )
Collapse This

“ The only thing that seemed to occupy that floor was an undiluted darkness, a darkness far greater than the night itself, a consolidated darkness, something clotted with its own density. 'The nocturnal product,' I could hear the spectacled student reminding me in a hollow voice. 'Drowning in the pools of night.' ”

Thomas Ligotti - “The Night School”
Added by: G. S. Carnivals on 06-09-2007 #22

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #2
matt cardin
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 27,957, Level: 100 Points: 27,957, Level: 100 Points: 27,957, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
G.S. -- This is completely tangential to the quotation you've transcribed, but by way of free associating, I can tell you that you might enjoy reading Monika Angerhuber's short fiction collection NOCTURNAL PRODUCTS, the source of whose title is obvious. (When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it might be about that very book.) Monika, a.k.a. Eddie, is the creator and maintainer of The Art of Grimscribe, which I assume you're already aware is the other main Ligotti Website. Maybe you've seen her postings here at TLO in the past. Her short fiction is quite good. I've read a considerable amount of it in English translation and can tell you that the above-named collection is excellent. The title story in particular represents an exquisite excursion into the type of bleak, horrific surrealism that forms the substance of "The Night School" and so many other Ligotti stories.

matt cardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #3
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Points: 52,210, Level: 100 Points: 52,210, Level: 100 Points: 52,210, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
Re: The Nocturnal Product

It's been a long time since we've last seen Monika Angerhuber around. Hope she's doing fine. I remember having read a bunch of her stories in the past and really liked them. I find it quite funny that we suddenly start discussing her works because some two days ago I was trying to locate her stories still available online.
From what have managed to find, it seems that only two of of them are still available in English versions (there are more in German). One is in our repository - "A Reading Of The Night Book" - and the other, "The Blue Star" is on the german Ligotti website:

http://www.angwa.de/Ligotti/artverwa...uerstern_e.htm

There were also two (i think) of her stories at Terror Tales, but the site is down.

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Confusio Linguarum - visionary literature, translingualism & bibliophily
yellowish haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #4
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Threadstarter
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

I have enjoyed the tiny amount of Monika's fiction that I have read. Her collection is one I've been aware of for some time, and desperately need, but sudden financial constraints have knocked at my door. I'll track down Nocturnal Products sometime in the future. Thanks, Matt and Slawek!

"Pools of night" implies more than one pool. Perhaps there's a wading pool for those who can't swim. I hope so. The last one in....

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006   #5
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Points: 52,210, Level: 100 Points: 52,210, Level: 100 Points: 52,210, Level: 100
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%

Hey, I found another one: Heart of Darkness by E. M. Angerhuber at:

http://www.shadow-writer.co.uk/heart1.html

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Confusio Linguarum - visionary literature, translingualism & bibliophily
yellowish haze is offline   Reply With Quote