THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Technical Information > Site Features
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 01-22-2006   #1
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
The Library of Byzantium - Detailed Ligotti Bibliography

Since my involvement with TLO, I have planned the integration of a detailed bibliography database of Ligotti works, complete with cover scans, cross-indexing and search capabilities. "The Library of Byzantium", as I have decided to call it, is an ambitious endeavor to detail all aspects of every occurrence of Ligotti in the printed medium. The inspiration, and indeed much of the core research data, came from Douglas Anderson's meticulous text bibliography.

Being a new year, I made it my major design goal to tackle this task. I am elated to state that my initial efforts have proven quite productive, though there is much work to be done. The database engine has been selected, sample entries have been input and preliminary formatting is in place. I am attaching a link to a sample detail listing for THE SHADOW AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD, though you may page back through additional entries via the navigation options at the top of the listing. This preliminary format has been generated to match the Broadband theme, with the final construct likely to match a member's selected theme. The final interface will feature additional pages for listing and sorting entries.

Have a look and let me know what you think, while keeping in mind that both the format and content are preliminary and not yet intended as official content.

The Library of Byzantium

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #2
ElHI
Mystic
Quotes: 1
Points: 26,147, Level: 100 Points: 26,147, Level: 100 Points: 26,147, Level: 100
Re: The Library of Byzantium - Detailed Ligotti Bibliography

It is nice and looks very promising!

But keep in mind that my comment is preliminary and not yet intended as official content ;)

"How he made them laugh... sometimes"
ElHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #3
yellowish haze
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 58,139, Level: 100 Points: 58,139, Level: 100 Points: 58,139, Level: 100
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

It is nice and looks very promising!
I second that!

I'm looking forward to paging through such a bibliography database of The Stylus of The Outer Dark!

"In my imagination, I have a small apartment in a small town where I live alone and gaze through a window at a wintry landscape." -- TL
Confusio Linguarum - visionary literature, translingualism & bibliophily
yellowish haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #4
barrywood
Chymist
Points: 16,568, Level: 88 Points: 16,568, Level: 88 Points: 16,568, Level: 88
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
I third that!

It's good as it tells stuff about the book that one wouldn't know unless that possessed it himself. Such as the dedication page. It's the little things about a book that I like -- who did the illustration, front page, designed, dedications, etc.

I tip my hat to you, Brian.

My story NOWHERE TO GO was published by PS PUBLISHING in a book titled POSTSCRIPTS #14 in England in 2008. Let me know if you've read it. If you'd like to contact me, send me a Private Message.
barrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006   #5
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter
Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100

Thanks, fellas. I always tend to be a bit dodgy when offering up material that is not yet complete. 8)

A couple of notes on the current layout:
  • The PLOT section is mis-labeled, and will likely be reserved for a detailed description, with a separate section containing cover text and blurbs.
  • PERSONAL DETAILS is also mis-labeled. The DEDICATION field will feature the author's dedication text, if any, and is not relative to a specific signing. A separate section will outline the inclusion and details of the entry as it relates to the physical archives of TLO (my personal collection).
  • LINKS will include relevant TLO areas as well as preset search links for abebooks.com and retailers.
  • Additional details will include print quantities for limited editions, binding variant details, etc.
  • STORIES will be labeled as CONTENTS, with a plot outline and character list to accompany each story entry.
The last item is especially ambitious, and I am calling upon TLO members to help compile the data. If you happen to be reading a story or collection, it would be greatly appreciated if you would take the time to jot down the character list, including any named entities, books, etc. As for the plot outlines, I am not confident that I am the best man for the task at hand, therefore I am looking for volunteers to undertake specific collections or stories. I am not certain if there is any sort of literary standard for such, but my thoughts are to summarize the basic plot within a brief paragraph and to avoid inclusion of spoiler material. My goal is to have the book database to further integrate detailed information for each story, thereby effectively having a detailed story database integrated and cross-indexed within the main database. Such lofty goals and so little time...

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
Old 01-23-2006   #6
G. S. Carnivals
Our Temporary Supervisor
Quotes: 397
Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100 Points: 272,439, Level: 100
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Wow! A Reader's Guide to Everything Ligotti, as it were. My mind is boggled, Brian. (As if yours isn't.) I think I still have a pen around here somewhere....

"What does it mean to be alive except to court disaster and suffering at every moment?"

Tibet: Carnivals?
Ligotti: Ceremonies for initiating children into the cult of the sinister.
Tibet: Gas stations?
Ligotti: Nothing to say about gas stations as such, although I've always responded to the smell of gasoline as if it were a kind of perfume.
G. S. Carnivals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #7
barrywood
Chymist
Points: 16,568, Level: 88 Points: 16,568, Level: 88 Points: 16,568, Level: 88
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%

I've just read Alice's Last Adventure and will list the characters and write a small paragraph as to what I "believe" is the plot, and as I usually don't understand Ligotti's writing enough to paraphrase it into my own words, I think Alice's Last Adventure is one such story that I could do justice. Of course, if my childish report (as my writing is usually darkly childish) is out on a limb, you can always turn a cheek. I wouldn't mind.

I will do my best.

My story NOWHERE TO GO was published by PS PUBLISHING in a book titled POSTSCRIPTS #14 in England in 2008. Let me know if you've read it. If you'd like to contact me, send me a Private Message.
barrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006   #8
Dr. Zirk
Mystic
Points: 14,208, Level: 82 Points: 14,208, Level: 82 Points: 14,208, Level: 82
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%

This is really a great resource - Thanks for creating this Dr. B! And as time allows, I will try to join Barry in writing a story synopsis or two. If we get a few of these completed, we can collectively seek a Ph.D in modern literature (I reserve the right to wear the mortarboard at the graduation ceremony).
Dr. Zirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006   #9
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Threadstarter

I have been toying with this concept some more. A few items and fields have been added, along with high resolution scans for some of the entries. Clicking on the images will proceed to a full resolution version, though your browser may want to fit it to the screen. I have not yet created thumbnails for the cover scans, therefore each entry page may load slowly for the first time. The main link now takes you to a listing, sorted by release date. It feels great to be working on this long overdue project!

The Library of Byzantium

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
Old 01-25-2006   #10
bendk
Grimscribe
Quotes: 1
Points: 188,112, Level: 100 Points: 188,112, Level: 100 Points: 188,112, Level: 100
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%

I think this is a great idea, Dr. B. It provides a good framework for eldrtich00's Reader's Guide idea. I will keep this in mind when I reread TL's stories.

P.S. Thanks for posting the cover of the new chapbook with Jason Van Hollander's cover art. I am going to have to pass on purchasing this one, but I am glad I got to see it. Great cover! And very appropriate.
bendk is offline   Reply With Quote