THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Technical Information > Error Reports and Problems
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 05-06-2006   #1
eldritch00
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 10,520, Level: 70 Points: 10,520, Level: 70 Points: 10,520, Level: 70
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Send a message via ICQ to eldritch00 Send a message via Yahoo to eldritch00
Browser Shutdown at the Homepage

Obviously, since I can post this, there are areas of TLO that I can access without any problems. However, every time I go to the site's home page, my browser shuts down. Are there any other Mozilla Firefox users here experiencing the same problem?

"When the emptiness in you grows too large
You fill its vaulted chambers with the ash of memory
With the dust of desire."
- PZB
eldritch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #2
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Re: Browser Shutdown at the Homepage

This sounds alarming, but I have had no other members report problems recently. Of course, if there are problems with the main page many might not know how to report them. I do not believe the problem is with FireFox, as I use it as my main browser. Although it is not likely related, I suggest that anyone using FireFox upgrade to the latest version of 1.5.0.3.

When did this first happen? Exactly what do you mean by shutting down? Are you receiving an error message, a blank screen or frozen content? Please describe. Until I get more information, I will only suggest that you clear your browser cache and delete TLO cookies.

To clear your browser cache in FireFox, go to Tools--->Options---Cache and click on the "Clear Cache Now" button.

To clear TLO cookies, click on the link below and click on the option provided therein.
Delete TLO Cookies

My first hunch is that you are having a problem with session IDs.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #3
eldritch00
Mystic
Threadstarter

I'm using the same version as FireFox as you are. As for when this began, it was something I've only noticed recently, say a week or so. The home page freezes, and the Mozilla Quality Feedback agent pops up. Then the browser turns itself off.

I've done what you've asked here, but when it takes me to the portal after the cookies are reset, it conks out again. I guess I could just maneuver my way around the site (at least for now) through pages other than the home page/portal...

Thanks for the quick response, by the way, and of course I hope we can solve this. But at least for now, I'm not completely locked out from using the site.

- PZB
Old 05-06-2006   #4
Dr. Bantham
Town Manager
Quotes: 19
Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100 Points: 162,515, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

This is curious, as I have made no changes to the main page recently beyond menu revisions. Does this happen every time? Does the page stop at a certain point? Is there a specific error message detailed by FireFox?

Which style are you using? Try switching to a new style. If you can not do this by accessing the Style Select box on the portal page, you can change your default style here:
Profile Control Panel - Main Settings

There is a chance that this is a Flash issue related to the embedded flash code I used in the "Miss Plarr" announcement. Try proceeding to this page which zooms in on a different announcement and see if it produces the same error:
Portal Page with Announcement Zoom
If this link works, you should reinstall Flash:
MacroMedia Flash Download (Windows)
If the Flash download does not fix things up, it could be a security issue between manner in which I embed the flash code and your browser security settings.

If you have another browser installed, give it a try and see if it works. Not that I would have you abandon FireFox, but it is yet another clue to help diagnose the problem.

THOMAS LIGOTTI ONLINE
A Shining Brainless Beacon Of Elegant Mutations And Cunning Annihilations
Dr. Bantham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #5
eldritch00
Mystic
Threadstarter

It happens every time. Most of the page loads, and the recent posts start scrolling on the left side of the screen right before it stops. That's when the browser hangs and the Mozilla Quality Feedback Agent pops up. When that one is done sending the error message, the browser shuts off. There doesn't seem to be any specific error, though I'll try to see what I can find.

I was using Nethescurial, but instead of switching from that first link you gave me, I went to the "page which zooms in on a different announcement" and it went okay. Then I tried switching styles from that to The Nightmare Factory (incidentally, both of those look really really nice!). After switching styles, it went back to the "regular" portal and conked out again.

Internet Explorer works fine, in any case...

- PZB
Old 05-06-2006   #6
eldritch00
Mystic
Threadstarter

Since the "announcement zoom" link worked, I went ahead and reinstalled Flash as per your instructions...

...and it seems to have worked now! I'll let you know if any more problems arise, but if you don't hear from me, let this be my last message to you: thanks so much for the quick and helpful responses, good doctor!

- PZB