THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Discussion & Interpretation > The Repository > Reference
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register
Comment

Article Tools Search this Article Display Modes Translate
Illustrated Ligotti Bibliography
<< <    Next Page: BOOKS (Page 1 of 6)    >  >>
Illustrated Ligotti Bibliography
Published by bendk
07-07-2006
Introduction

Since I have accumulated quite a few horror mags over the years and I enjoy illustrated fiction, I thought I would attempt to make a list of all of TL's stories that have been illustrated. This list is in no way complete. I do not have many of the magazines and anthologies that have printed Ligotti's stories. This is just a rudimentary list to help Ligotti collectors who are interested in illustrated fiction. I hope that people who see omissions in this bibliography will post corrections to the thread, and I will edit the post accordingly. (This could actually be an entertaining thread if I had knew how to operate my new scanner and post some of the artwork, but, alas, no.)

Here is an example of how I structured the list: "Spectacles in the Drawer" has seen print in seven different magazines or books. To the best of my knowledge, it has only been illustrated twice, in Fantasy Tales and Etchings & Odysseys, so those are the only venues I listed. If a story has not been illustrated it has not been listed. Art that I could not identify the artist or link to a particular story, I left an open-ended sentence like: Cover design by...... A few stories I suspect that have been illustrated would by "Les Fleurs" in Dark Horizons #23 and "The Bungalow House" in Urbanite #5, but those magazines have eluded me to this point. My main focus was the stories but I tried to include, with less success, the artists and/or designers of the books because of the cover illustrations.

Hopefully, one day, Ligotti (and HPL!) will get the same attention that Poe has received in book illustration. My ideal example is POE'S TALES of Mystery & Imagination, illustrated by Arthur Rackham, Weathervane Books, undated.

It goes without saying that Douglas A. Anderson's Ligotti Bibliography was indispensible in compiling this list.
Contents
<< <    Next Page: BOOKS (Page 1 of 6)    >  >>
2 Thanks From:
Dr. Bantham (07-10-2008), miguel1984 (07-25-2015)
By G. S. Carnivals on 07-08-2006
Re: Illustrated Ligotti Bibliography

"The Spectacles in the Drawer"
Etchings & Odysseys #10 (1987) 3/4 page illustration by Denis Tiani
By Dr. Bantham on 07-08-2006

Excellent research, Ben!

This has instilled a new sense of urgency for the "Byzantium" project. If you will recall, I started this at the first of the year and faltered shortly thereafter. I had already started including references and scans of cover art. Now that you have addressed the subject in detail, I am inspired to integrate illustration data as well. Further work is encouraged, as a community research effort will allow your good doctor to dedicate more time to technical aspects.

Direct Link:
The Library of Byzantium

Sample Page:
http://www.ligotti.net/byzantium/details/0.html
By Dr. Bantham on 07-08-2006

Below I offer a preliminary entry for the new Limited Edition of THE SHADOW AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD. Note the scroll bars within the web insert, which are required to view the entire content. The final version shall be full screen, as is accessed in the direct link. You can access higher resolution scans by clicking on the cover images.

The Library of Byzantium

TSATBOTW Limited
By G. S. Carnivals on 07-08-2006

"The Sect of the Idiot"
The Azathoth Cycle (1995) Spot illustration by Dreyfus
By bendk on 07-08-2006

Thanks, Brian. I look forward to The Library of Byzantium; it looks great!

And thanks, GSC. I forgot about the Etchings and Odysseys illustration by Tiani. That is a truly bizarre image. I added it to the list and corrected my initial post also, to reflect your find. And the Sect spot illustration or "chapter decoration" in The Azathoth Cycle.
By G. S. Carnivals on 07-09-2006

"Paradoxes from Hell"
Aklo: A Volume of the Fantastic (1998) 1/2 page illustration by Edward Gordon Craig
By G. S. Carnivals on 07-09-2006

"The Voice in the Bones"
Crypt of Cthulhu #65 (1989) Full page illustration by Bruce W. Timm
By Dr. Bantham on 07-09-2006

Progress has been made on mapping the Byzantium database with the TLO style "Nethescurial". The final construct will default the presentation to match selected member styles.

The Library of Byzantium (Nethescurial Style)

TSATBOTW Limited
By Dr. Bantham on 07-09-2006

Further progress has been made to integrate Byzantium into the main TLO framework.

The Library of Byzantium (Nethescurial Style)
The Library of Byzantium (Parchment Style)

This is a work in progress, mind you. The links will give you a glimpse of the current state and allow for progress to be noted.
Comment