THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic > Video Games
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 08-13-2014   #1
Hideous Name
Mystic
Quotes: 0
Points: 6,911, Level: 57 Points: 6,911, Level: 57 Points: 6,911, Level: 57
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
New "Silent Hill" videogame

I´m very excited about this. Silent Hill is my favourite video-game franchise.

New Coming From Guillermo Del Toro and Hideo Kojima -

“Human life moves in only one direction - toward disease, damage, and death” Thomas Ligotti

"I wish I were a cannibal – less for the pleasure of eating someone than for the pleasure of vomiting him" E.M. Cioran

“It would be wrong to refuse to face the fact that everything is fundamentally sick and sad.”Thomas Bernhard

Last edited by Hideous Name; 08-13-2014 at 02:33 PM..
Hideous Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
beetlebox (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014   #2
SpookyDread
Mystic
Points: 3,711, Level: 40 Points: 3,711, Level: 40 Points: 3,711, Level: 40
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Re: New "Silent Hill" videogame

wow that looks cool
SpookyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (08-16-2014), Hideous Name (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014   #3
ramonoski
Grimscribe
Points: 12,242, Level: 76 Points: 12,242, Level: 76 Points: 12,242, Level: 76
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Is that Kirby Sweetman the rare films dealer? (Or perhaps he's best known under the guise of Daryl Dixon, zombie slayer...)

I've never owned a Playstation so I missed on this series. I ended up playing the second game as a port for PC and I enjoyed it a lot. The movie was alright too, and had a great atmosphere. The second movie, eh, the least said about it the better. Anyway, if this isn't a playstation exclusive, I might play it.

Hell-Ghost: yes, the score by Akira Yamaoka is legendary in the gaming community, and outside of it too! (parts of it were even used in the movie as is, without any rearrangement or re-recordings). An amazing piece of work, eerie, noisy, and sometimes oddly melodic.
ramonoski is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (08-16-2014), Hideous Name (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014   #4
Hideous Name
Mystic
Threadstarter
Points: 6,911, Level: 57 Points: 6,911, Level: 57 Points: 6,911, Level: 57
Level up: 81% Level up: 81% Level up: 81%

gamescom 2014: Kojima Talks About Silent Hills

“Human life moves in only one direction - toward disease, damage, and death” Thomas Ligotti

"I wish I were a cannibal – less for the pleasure of eating someone than for the pleasure of vomiting him" E.M. Cioran

“It would be wrong to refuse to face the fact that everything is fundamentally sick and sad.”Thomas Bernhard
Hideous Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014   #5
SpookyDread
Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by Hell-Ghost View Post
I do not play video-games (nor will I ever) yet I am an admirer of the Silent Hill franchise.
It's one of the few games to have had a narrative like Resident Evil , Dead Space, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy VII, Syndicate, Twisted Metal, that sought to be some kind of reflection on society … they're games created to be more than games .

The important thing about them being that as a kid a lot of them were Japanese , were being played by everyone I knew, so it was some of the little alien outside cultural criticism that was ever really prominent in pop culture like outside of Hollywood and whatever. Compare Metal Gear Solid to Terminator. It says something very different about the nature of evil, technology and capitalism, etc than the other film does. The evil in Terminator has no human responsibility to it, at its core. Whereas Metal Gear Solid really grabs you by the balls and presented a world politics that wasn't really known thought about in that way at that time .

mostly I don't blame you for not playing video games because the really good ones are few and far between but I think in the past the really good ones were a real 'event' , it's not like today where a new game comes out every other day just made to make money.
Thanks From:
Druidic (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014   #6
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

mostly I don't blame you for not playing video games because the really good ones are few and far between but I think in the past the really good ones were a real 'event' --SpookyDread
True, true, true.

I built my first desktop in 20003. A few months before, a friend had given me his old HP laptop (weighed a ton!) for fifty bucks. It was old with 16 Mb. Of ram (it had been upgraded) and probably went for 3 or 4 grand when new.

I had never touched a computer before. I played with the thing for a short time and then heard from some source that a Lovecraft-inspired game called Doom 3 was coming out for the pc. I was curious. Back then a good gaming rig could easily run 5 grand or so and I thought it might be interesting to see this game on the highest settings. (Yes, and even stranger is the fact I had never before played or shown interest in video games).

For a month I studied up at the library until I was confident I had a reasonable chance of building a gaming rig (Again, back then you could save big bucks by ‘rolling your own’ and financially it didn’t make sense to go any other way.

Got the parts from Amazon. Built the thing over a period of 2 days (man, that was lazy, but it was probably just lack of confidence). I even got the case wires right first time. So I fired it up with the switch on the psu and…Nothing other than a fan and some lights…briefly.

Called my friend John in Oregon, a computer whiz and general genius (he was the model for the character Jim in The Box) and described my predicament. I had already rechecked and reseated everything I could.

“When I turn on the power supply it doesn’t go into the bios,” I said.

He thought for a minute.

“What happens when you hit the power button?” he asked.

OK, in fairness to myself, the power button comes already installed and wired. Yeah, I should have caught on hooking up the case wires…but I thought the circular indentation on the front panel was a bit of fancy sculpting design.

I had built successfully a fine pc—I pressed the power button and it came to Life immediately—but I didn’t have a clue how to start it.

Doom 3 was great.

Last edited by Druidic; 08-15-2014 at 01:53 PM..
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Hideous Name (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014   #7
SpookyDread
Mystic

I don't know if you have ever played Dead Space but its probably the most relevant cultural criticism and greatest weird supernatural horror novel for many years.

It's not just inspired by Lovecraft stories and movies like The Thing, it's saying something about the current new age religious marketplace , charismatic Christianity.. "Unitology" is S.Korean charismatic worship.. the Moonies? yeah… it criticizes scientology, at higher levels of which is a lot of esoteric stuff, and anyway it presents a link between mysticism , madness, schizophrenia, psychosis, and well ghost worship. The whole story originates on a mining ship called the USG-Ishimura (some foreign Japanese oriental make!) .

Hilariously poignant compared to the current crop of horror literature. Doesn't attempt to be cryptic in any way. It's the kind of video game that demands serious literary study which is not commonly given to media like films and video games.

I've pretty much vowed that as a literary critic and English major I'll also study film as well, at Concordia I'm at the best school for that too, as far as studies in genre, and I'm angry actually that I couldn't also do the same kind of work in video games. There's been a course at Concordia on video games, but I don't think the faculty really understands the medium, it's ontology or way of thinking about reality and so on.

and yeah notice the life-meter down the length of the spinal column . Videogames do something at expressing the numinous in ways not possible in film or literature. It's an extra degree of separation towards divinity.. as a play or film is literature for performance, video games are performance + immersion + further articulations about the nature of the self and mind , video games have a HUD, and inventory. uh yeah.
Thanks From:
Druidic (08-16-2014)
Old 08-15-2014   #8
ramonoski
Grimscribe

I love Dead Space. The first game is a must for anyone who lives horror and videogames. It's a survival horror in space, with a lot of emphasis put in atmosphere and world-building. And if you like it, 2 and 3 continue the story of Isaac Clarke, space engineer and reluctant necromorph slayer.

Also, a bit of a brilliant videogame diegetics is that in all three games the HUD is built into your space suit, or is projected as a hologram from it. That was pretty interesting, me thinks.
Thanks From:
Druidic (08-16-2014)
Old 08-15-2014   #9
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%

The Dead Space games were quite good and I particularly liked the way cutscenes were cleverly integrated into the gameplay. I also enjoyed the Stalker series, particularly the original, as well as little known classics like Clive Barker’s Undying. I suspect Bioshock Infinite may be the last pc game I play. It was good with stylish graphics but pc gaming isn’t even the shadow of what it once was.
I hope I’m wrong and there’s a rebirth but I don’t see it.
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
ramonoski (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014   #10
ramonoski
Grimscribe

Bioshock Infinite was gorgeous and the story was pretty good. But gameplay wise it bored me. Finishing it felt more like a chore than a challenge. I'm not sure what went wrong there.

There's a good Lovecraftian game, Call of Chulthu: The Dark Corners of the Earth. It's loosely based on "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", but throws in references and elements from a myriad other stories. It has a "madness" system, where your character starts going insane when you see something horrible. It's not a five-star game (more like three), but it's a good experience for Lovecraft fans. Sadly the game underperformed and plans for a sequel got scrapped.
Thanks From:
Druidic (08-16-2014)