THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK
Go Back   THE NIGHTMARE NETWORK > Miscellanea > Off Topic > Video Games
Home Forums Content Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Contagion Members Media Diversion Info Register

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes Translate
Old 08-16-2014   #11
Druidic
Grimscribe
Quotes: 0
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 71% Activity: 71% Activity: 71%
Re: New "Silent Hill" videogame

There's a good Lovecraftian game, Call of Chulthu: The Dark Corners of the Earth. It's loosely based on "The Shadow Over Innsmouth", but throws in references and elements from a myriad other stories. It has a "madness" system, where your character starts going insane when you see something horrible. It's not a five-star game (more like three), but it's a good experience for Lovecraft fans. Sadly the game underperformed and plans for a sequel got scrapped.--ramonoski.
I agree it's a good one. J. Edgar Hoover and a shoggoth! What more could we ask?
Druidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #12
ramonoski
Grimscribe
Points: 12,242, Level: 76 Points: 12,242, Level: 76 Points: 12,242, Level: 76
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Quote Originally Posted by Druidic View Post
I agree it's a good one. J. Edgar Hoover and a shoggoth! What more could we ask?
Also Zadok Allen in all his drunken glory.
ramonoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Druidic (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014   #13
SpookyDread
Mystic
Points: 3,711, Level: 40 Points: 3,711, Level: 40 Points: 3,711, Level: 40
Level up: 41% Level up: 41% Level up: 41%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Games are just too expensive to make today and companies can no longer afford to take any risks. I really enjoyed Resident Evil 5 because I was able to play co-op with my wife but getting the complete inventory was a total grind. I was really excited for Resident Evil 6 but it was a total let down. Running the gauntlet in the Resident Evil 5 levels was simply more fun. I don't know what is wrong with the other game in the series but fans were demanding a more puzzle solving , old school departure, and I thought for a co-op game that the arcade gauntlet style was the right direction to go into. My wife is hardcore into video games more than I am . and I consider myself pretty hardcore. I remember when hardcore gamer actually meant something lol things are really different today . It's sad but there isn't much to be really hardcore about anymore.
SpookyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Druidic (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014   #14
Druidic
Grimscribe
Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100 Points: 77,541, Level: 100

Darrel Schweitzer wrote once that while a lot of people were busy arguing over whether the horror boom of the 70’s and 80\s was dying something funny happened…the Horror Boom died. Same thing was true for pc gaming. It died and a lot of people didn’t notice until long after the fact. At one time for inventiveness and great graphics nothing could touch the best pc games. Today all we have is a ghost to remind us.
Thanks From:
ramonoski (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014   #15
SpookyDread
Mystic

Darrel Schweitzer wrote once that while a lot of people were busy arguing over whether the horror boom of the 70’s and 60\s was dying something funny happened…the Horror Boom died. Same thing was true for pc gaming. It died and a lot of people didn’t notice until long after the fact. At one time for inventiveness and great graphics nothing could touch the best pc games. Today all we have is a ghost to remind us.
That was pretty much the problem with Dead Space.. I really liked Dead Space 2, but was let down by Dead Space 3. There were rumours about EA pressuring them on deadlines , happening with a lot of companies, and when I got to the ending it was the most anti-climatic thing ever I was like.. but I've already played Eternal Darkness! :roll eyes:

The big thing now seems to be television series. like Under The Dome and stuff . There are still some really exceptional games like Grand Theft Auto 5 . But the thing is Rockstar has been working on that for eons, and for their hard work it payed off. Rockstar still has all of their integrity.

Hurray for Rockstar seriously.
2 Thanks From:
Druidic (08-16-2014), ramonoski (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014   #16
ramonoski
Grimscribe
Points: 12,242, Level: 76 Points: 12,242, Level: 76 Points: 12,242, Level: 76
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%

Dead Space 3 had the same problem that Alan Wake had: at the end the story doesn't conclude, just stops. And this is because the actual ending was saved for a downloadable content release—which has an extra price. I really don't like that. I think DLC should focus on side missions, cut content, new maps or costumes, etc. But not the actual denouement of the 8+ hours story you've been following. Not cool, game publishers. (That said, both games' DLC end on a cliffhanger anyway. Alan Wake 2 and Dead Space 4 coming not soon, but eventually.) Alan Wake was good, incidentally. Another horror game worth checking out, provided you don't mind that "it doesn't end, just sort of stops". Or are willing to pony up for the DLC, of course.*

Anyway. I think my biggest issue with modern gaming is that the bulk of them is taking either of two paths: A) better graphics means better games, everything else can take the backseat or be disregarded entirely; and B) games should be like interactive movies, and here's six hours worth of cutscenes to "enhance" your experience.

Whatever happened to the days where you popped in Mario or Contra and were playing right away? And those games are still a blast even today. I'd rather replay Megaman 2 than sit through the 20-minutes introduction and tutorial of, say, Assassin's Creed or something like that before I can actually start playing it.

* imagine if book publishers did that... "Here's Thomas Ligotti's Spectral Link. Hope you enjoy it. btw, the last two sections of 'the small people' are being released in September as a separate chapbook, so be sure to purchase that too if you want to read the conclusion!"
ramonoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Druidic (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014   #17
Cnev
Chymist
Points: 11,269, Level: 73 Points: 11,269, Level: 73 Points: 11,269, Level: 73
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

I'm a huge gamer myself and have been since my dad and I spent many nights programming simple games back in the 80s. The whole scene has shifted greatly, no doubt, but I feel it's a very interesting time to be active in the gaming scene with the emergence of Kickstarter and similar resources. The whole argument that companies aren't making games because they are too expensive isn't all that solid considering these campaigns have shown that people are willing to pay for exceptional games(Star Citizen for example; $2,000,000 pledged on a $500,000 goal). The problem is that most people who play games are the mouthdrooling Call Of Duty weeked-warrior types who will buy whatever they are told is the best. Why would big-business developers try to innovate when they don't have to? They can literally make the same game over and over, charge $60 for it and market it in such a way that makes it appear to be the greatest thing since the last game they made, and the mindless drones will eat it up without question. Innovation is happening, though. Just look at the Greenlight section on Steam or Kickstarter in general. Guild Wars 2 is another great example of a company taking huge leaps to revolutionize a genre. While certain systems might not have turned out as well as they intended, their vision DID fundamentally change the genre in positive ways.

Trine, Mind: Path To Thalamus(Created by ONE dude), Bothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Bastion, Transistor, Bioshock, LIMBO, Dear Esther, The Swapper; these are all games I have played recently and found to be not only amazing experiences, but wonderful actual games as well. I do agree that somewhere along the line the concept of video games being actual games became lost to narritive-driven systems that do not translate well to the inherent nature of the platform. But, I think that is beginning to change as games like Mind:Path to Thalamus, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, and Dear Esther have shown. These games present new ways to tell stories within virtual, interactive worlds that actually work really well. Brilliant and often breathtaking, I truly believe that these types of games are just the beginning in making the medium a true platform for artistic creation.

As far as the PC platform goes, there is a great deal of overlap now between them and consoles, but the role the PC has in the market is definitely unique and very much exclusive to the platform. Skyrim, for example, can essentially be any fantasy game you want it to be thanks to the passion of the mod community, which cannot and does not exist in the realm of consoles. World of Warcraft still has 7 million people playing it after it's release 10 years ago and it also has a rich and thriving competitive scene not only in PvP but also PvE. Like all MMORPGs. It is also completely reliant on the exclusive benefits of the PC platform. Star Citizen is without question one of the most ambitious PC exclusive games I have ever seen in my entire life, and it's shaping up to be everything Chris Roberts said it would be.

It's one thing to dislike the direction of PC gaming and gaming in general. And that is completely fine and understandable. There are many things I myself dislike about some of the current trends and a few years ago I stopped gaming altogether because I felt there was little life in the PC platform. But, brilliant and fun games are definitely out there and the PC platform still offers the greatest gaming experience not only from the player side but also the development side. There still really isn't any question about it.

Cnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks From:
Druidic (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014   #18
Druidic
Grimscribe

It’s all subjective to an extent but there are some objective points.
PC Gaming was largely associated with single player shooters like Unreal and Half Life because the pc allowed developers to push the graphic envelope as far as they could at the time, and also because of the greater control given by mouse and keyboard. The games you mention, Cnev, are no doubt good games but I doubt if any would appeal to me. My interest is not with video games in general but only exclusively designed single player shooters for the pc. And they will be back…never again. For me they defined the difference between gaming on a console and a computer...

Hey, Ramonoski, that chase sequence was pretty good in Dark Corners, followed Lovecraft’s escape from the Gilman quite closely.
Old 08-17-2014   #19
SpookyDread
Mystic

It’s all subjective to an extent but there are some objective points.
PC Gaming was largely associated with single player shooters like Unreal and Half Life because the pc allowed developers to push the graphic envelope as far as they could at the time, and also because of the greater control given by mouse and keyboard. The games you mention, Cnev, are no doubt good games but I doubt if any would appeal to me. My interest is not with video games in general but only exclusively designed single player shooters for the pc. And they will be back…never again. For me they defined the difference between gaming on a console and a computer...

Hey, Ramonoski, that chase sequence was pretty good in Dark Corners, followed Lovecraft’s escape from the Gilman quite closely.
I'm a console gamer responding to you in a flame suit. I think there were games on consoles like Twisted Metal , Legacy Of Kain Soul Reaver or God Of War that were fun beyond the capabilities of mouse and keyboard . I'm a proponent of the Sony Dual-Analog sticks. I like games like Jak & Daxter, and Demon's Souls. I know those games can work on PC as well but I've never heard of any game pad the likes of the dual analog set up.

the Console gaming platform allowed for a different kind of gaming experience that I prefer over PC gaming .

yeah I never bothered to get the Dead Space 3 content I was so let down. I'll probably pony it up eventually though anyway. Even if a company releases a half ass somewhat ####ty game I guess I'm a sucker and I'll buy the product anyway .

God Of War Ascension. ugh

If I like a company/game designer i'll buy stuff from them. Even if they release a lacklustre product , I have faith
Thanks From:
Druidic (08-17-2014)
Old 08-17-2014   #20
Druidic
Grimscribe

Of course, guys, the pc games often came with a secret hidden game for free.
Your participation was mandatory.
It was called "Try To Get This Damn Game Installed And Running."

Yes, desperately editing config files, trying to find another human being on the Net that had managed to achieve the impossible, just wanting to know that somehow it was possible to get the blasted thing up and running without waiting days, weeks or months for a patch that might never come...
It was one hell of a Game. And it was Free. All it cost was frustration and your sanity.
5 Thanks From:
ChildofOldLeech (08-17-2014), Cnev (08-17-2014), mark_samuels (08-17-2014), MTC (08-17-2014), ramonoski (08-17-2014)